Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you live in ATX and need a lesson

Options
XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Have you eaten there?  I did a couple of months after they opened, the brisket was like roast beef.  I hope it's gotten better, but I think they bring it all in from Lockhart.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    We ate there not long after it opened and had the same experience, @Legume. There are never any cars there either, no matter what time of day.  We are lucky enough to have lots of other BBQ choices in Austin.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    @Legume @EggObsessed- I ate there today review-

Potato Salad- Good
    Jalapeno Sausage- Very Good, not as good as Stile Swtich but close
    Pulled Pork (no additional sauce)- very good
    St Louis Rib- Fatty but good taste
    Brisket- Good, not great.  I really dont like anybodys brisket, its rare I rate it high.
    Brisket to go- 1/2# moist, this is going to the brisket expert in the house my 10 yo DD for dinner.  I will get her take and report.
    Sauce- very good sauce, got a small take home container to use in the chopped brisket i have been making this week since I overcooked one Sunday.

I used it as a meeting local since I work from home.  Got there at 1 place was 25% occupied, stayed till 3 it was empty.

2nd time I have eaten there and I would go back, just realized they have hot sides as well so next trip will investigate more.  I had the turkey last time and I remember it being excellent.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Have you eaten there?  I did a couple of months after they opened, the brisket was like roast beef.  I hope it's gotten better, but I think they bring it all in from Lockhart.
    they actually do smoke it on site. Not sure they always have but they do have a big ass smoker in the back room of Bee Cave and on the back deck in Lakeway.  I have not had good luck- especially at the bee cave location. They opened another in Lakeway (which is weird because they are 5 miles apart and nobody goes to the first location)  and I've had 2 sammies there. Serviceable...kinda. I don't think I'll be taking any Q lessons from them any time soon. 

All 3 times I've been (twice Lakeway, once Bee Cave) I have been the only person in the building. Kinda creepy
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Didn't know about the Lakeway location - new build or take over something else?  I've only been to the Bee Cave shop and they had a woodpile and a fire going out back that was visible from the back room, it seemed like it was there for show.  We watched them pull meat out of big holding containers on carts just behind the registers, it was weird.  Place was packed, but it had just opened and I think the place at the VFW had just closed (Bubbas?). Anyway, empty parking lot every time I drive by...and expensive.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Didn't know about the Lakeway location - new build or take over something else?  I've only been to the Bee Cave shop and they had a woodpile and a fire going out back that was visible from the back room, it seemed like it was there for show.  We watched them pull meat out of big holding containers on carts just behind the registers, it was weird.  Place was packed, but it had just opened and I think the place at the VFW had just closed (Bubbas?). Anyway, empty parking lot every time I drive by...and expensive.
    Busters is the spot you were thinking. They had moved to lakeway for the VFW a while before Schmidt opened. They sold to some folks from KC who made it about 6 months then it shut down. It was closed for 6 months or so and then Schmidt came in and opened their 2nd location like 4 months after the first. It is a ghost town.

They have those wood fired brick holding pits just like Lockhart in the Bee Cave spot but they just use CVAP warmers/holders like most other places at lakeway. I thought they were bringing it in at first too but they do have a big steel offset in both Austin locations.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX