Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax v joe jr

Options
so my local dealer gives me really great deals. and I'm thinking about buying a minimax.

but today I go in the store and he is bringing in Kamado joes. This is a game changer.

he has the joetisserie and all the attachments for them.

question is. He said he would sell either one to me for 499 (with plate setter included)

which one would you get?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    For same price I would get the MiniMax ... for $399 costco roadshow I would get the Joe r.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Was just going to say what @Ozzie_Isaac said. 500 is pretty standard price for a KJjr
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    MiniMax for sure if they are the same price
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    For same price I would get the MiniMax ... for $399 costco roadshow I would get the Joe r.
    +1, but I am very happy with my KJ Jr.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Don't you have a new wife to ask these complex questions? (JKOC)....think advice will be biased on this site......but prob the right answer.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    He can do better on a Joe Jr. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Don't you have a new wife to ask these complex questions? (JKOC)....think advice will be biased on this site......but prob the right answer.
    Haha yea I don't think she will give her opinion lightly 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The jr is a better overall cooker after using both a decent amount.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree with others- the dealer is offering you a pretty good price on the MM but "list price" on the Jr.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I've seen both up close. $499 is high for the KJ. Can be had for a 100 less at roadshow. Mini Max is nice. A Mini with platesetter for 499 is a deal if your ok with the green egg tax. I have seen them priced at 650 for just the egg. Of course they are still sitting in the store for that price lol.... 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Even if they were the same price I'd still go for the KJ Jr. again.

However, if I wanted another Jr. I'd get one at a Roadshow for $400.

Interesting that your dealer is selling both KJ and BGE. I seem to recall reading/hearing few years back that BGE wouldn't let a dealer sell competing kamado brands (and still also sell BGE's). Have no idea if that was fact or fiction tho. Apparently the latter?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    From a value stand point, like others have said, the MMax is worth more.
    You should expect a better deal on the KJ Jr although their price is increasing.
    With KJ it does not matter how good your dealer is or if he will be a KJ dealer in the future. All warranty is direct with KJ.
    Both are great cookers. The MMax will be a little less weight and smaller foot print when traveling as the stand is more compact.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Value is with the MM w/out a doubt. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Better question what will he give you a small egg for? 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    You should expect a better deal on the KJ Jr although their price is increasing.
    With KJ it does not matter how good your dealer is or if he will be a KJ dealer in the future. All warranty is direct with KJ.
    Both are great cookers. The MMax will be a little less weight and smaller foot print when traveling as the stand is more compact.

The KJ Jr. weighs less than the MiniMax.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I live in Los Angeles, what's a KJ dealer? ... Never seen one, BGE dealer - Yes, KJ - No.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    slovelad said:

he has the joetisserie and all the attachments for them.

There's a joetisserie for the jr?  Is the jr big enough to cook much on one?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Wondering the same thing

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Only advantage for MM is the stand, in my opinion.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ^^^^^ +1 on the stand.
    Challenges put out there in terms of material differences, firebox configurations, overall shapes and even heat retention in relation to how these things cook at this tiny size have went absolutely nowhere that I can tell. When everything is seemingly the same; I'll take overall weight 9 times out of 10 (advantage MiniMax). 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned that the Joe Jr. is commie red.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    Ummm.  Really?  What about the green color?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Legume said:
    Don't they have two colors?  #blackjoesmatter
    I was contemplating a Joe till they went straight commie... 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    Don't they have two colors?  #blackjoesmatter
    Not anymore.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    MiniMax is worth more, therefore it's a better value at the price offered.  When I was waiting for MM delivery, and kept getting pushed off by BGE home office, I was looking at the Joe Jr., but only to the extent I could get a black one and get it at the Costco roadshow.  Well, that was 10 or so months away for me at the time, and I decided whichever came first was the BBQ powers that be reminding me of what I should be adding to the stable.  Well, the MiniMax won out and I am glad it did.  It's a great grill and the Joe Jr. would have been fine- at $359 (I think that's what it was at Costco) but it didn't turn out that way for me.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    ^^^^^ +1 on the stand.
    Challenges put out there in terms of material differences, firebox configurations, overall shapes and even heat retention in relation to how these things cook at this tiny size have went absolutely nowhere that I can tell. When everything is seemingly the same; I'll take overall weight 9 times out of 10 (advantage MiniMax). 

Assuming the you mean advantage MM for weighing the most? For a kamado marketing portability,  I think the advantage would be Joe. Jr.?
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Personally, I like the stand of the Joe better because it's taller and easier to cook out of. It's a stable platform as well. Also, I love the hinge of the Joe and its every bit as solid as the egg. I'm red- green color blind. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Ummm.  Really?  What about the green color?
    Green color is discontinued by KJ.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:

The KJ Jr. weighs less than the MiniMax.
    I have both. Never took a weight on each but the Jr seemed heavier. My bad.
    What is the weight difference on a home scale?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas