Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st impression of the DigiQ DX2

Options
rk772
rk772 Posts: 31
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
im pretty new at ceramic cooking and was having some difficulties with temp control on my last 4 hour rib cook. I've been dying to do an all night cook but I just didn't trust myself yet. I decided to order a DigiQ and used it last night on an 8.5lb pork butt. I filled up the egg with lump then lit the fire. After about 5 minutes I put the plate setter in and closed the lid.  Once the dome temp was up to about 220, I closed the daisy wheel except for a small crack and then turned on the DigiQ which was set at 250. The fan did a good job stabilizing the temp at 250. After about 20 minutes, I put the pork on the grill. The pork had an internal temp of 65. I really didn't see a noticeable drop in the grill temp after this. I decided to plug my thermoworks probes into the  pork and the grill just to double check the accuracy of the DigiQ. The meat temps were spot on and the grate temp was only 5* off. 
I decided to watch everything for about an hour before going to bed. About 20 minutes later, I noticed the dome temp and the thermoworks grate temp had dropped to 235 but the DigiQ temp began to rise to 275* even though the fan wasn't running at all. I opened the lid to make sure the probe had not fallen into the coals or something. It was still security attached to the grate so I closed it back up. I couldn't figure out what the deal was so I just turned it off then back on. This solved the issue and the temps matched up again. A few minutes later, the fan had brought the temp back up to 250. I watched another half hour then went to bed. I woke up a few times during the night and peeked out the window to find the temp rock solid on 250 each time. 12 hours later, the meat temp was around 185. I went ahead and set the DigiQ to bring the grill up to 300 to finish off the cook. At 13.5 hours, the pork was ready to come off the grill. I've got her in the ice chest resting for dinner. All in all, I'm very satisfied and glad I made the purchase. 

Comments