Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Waco, Texas....recommendations

fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,236
Gonna be headed from Dallas to Waco and back for a little day trip. Looking for lunch recommendations in Waco and for anything in between that might be a cool place to stop. Fixer Upper fans so we're gonna check out their new place, but any other things to see?
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2016
    Go on to Austin, sorry. 
    Ok this is 68 years old but good burger in Waco. We are 45 miles south of Waco and 45 miles north of Austin. Always Austin. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fence0407
    Mickey said:
    Go on to Austin, sorry. 
    Ok this is 68 years old but good burger in Waco. We are 45 miles south of Waco and 45 miles north of Austin. Always Austin. 

Thanks Mickey. We'll see if there's time for Austin. Wouldn't mind trying Franklin's but we won't have that kinda time. 
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    did they ever reopen twin peaks after the shootings =)
    Sexy Waitresses from Twin Peaks Restaurants

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Go to Austin, or take a slight detour in San Marcus and go to smittys in lockhart.  Not too far.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Hope you like the Fixer Upper place. Some of wife's cousins from California are huge fans and visited when here in January or February and were definitely disappointed, but I wouldn't be surprised if their expectations were a little over inflated as well.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    did they ever reopen twin peaks after the shootings =)
    Sexy Waitresses from Twin Peaks Restaurants

nope, closed and the signs except no trespassing are gone.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Vitek’s BBQ in Waco, Tony DeMaria’s Bar-B-QueD’s Mediterranean Grill is where I would eat in Waco. Recommend all of them.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • fence0407
    Legume said:
    Hope you like the Fixer Upper place. Some of wife's cousins from California are huge fans and visited when here in January or February and were definitely disappointed, but I wouldn't be surprised if their expectations were a little over inflated as well.
    Thanks...don't really have high expectations. Just figured we'd go while we're out there. Wife has never been to Texas.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    egger ave said:
    Vitek’s BBQ in Waco, Tony DeMaria’s Bar-B-QueD’s Mediterranean Grill is where I would eat in Waco. Recommend all of them.
    Appreciate that! We'll take a look at those for sure. 
    Cumming, GA  

• Tony DeMaria's >> Vitek's (if you end up at Vitek's then you should only order the Gutpack which is a BBQ frito pie and pretty awesome).  

George's is another option, it is more of a sports bar but has above average to good chicken fried steak.

Dallas, TX - 1 Large BGE, 28in Blackstone
    Instagram - @jetcooks
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    In-N-Out 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I would definitely stop in West, Tx, it's north of Waco.  Either Czech Stop (east side of fwy) or Slovacek's (west of fwy) and get some Kolaches.  Great stuff to try in either one, lots of unique-to-central Texas food.  People have their opinions on which is better, I like the Kolaches better at Czech Stop, but the sausage and meat at Slovacek's is worth the stop there.
  • Buzzard Billy's
    Gittin' there...
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Little known fact: Best view of Waco is in the rear view mirror as you drive south to Austin!

:)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.