Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Egg: Medium vs. Mini Max

Options
I'm about to pick up a new Large. I already have a used Medium (which would presumably become my second Egg), but I'm kind of hankering for a Mini Max, which is more portable.

My thinking is that selling my Medium and buying a Mini Max would both provide me with the warranty, as well as supply me with a second Egg portable enough to bring out onto the covered front porch when it's raining or snowing - that's right, I don't like to Egg in precipitation. <span>:anguished:</span>

Any thoughts? Am I crazy to want to replace a (non-warranty) Medium with a (warranty) MM?

I should mention that I don't anticipate much travel with a Mini Max, so portability for camping and tailgating is not really a consideration. 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

The medium is a great egg.  Is replacing the medium with a warrantied egg a possibility?

Phoenix 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    blasting said:

The medium is a great egg.  Is replacing the medium with a warrantied egg a possibility?

Probably pricier than I'd like. Also, not portable enough to take to the front porch in the event of precipitation. I think I'd be limited to keeping the medium j have, or buying a warranty Mini Max.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I have a large and MM, the large is too big for quick/weeknight cooks, hence the MM, I love the MM, biggest complaint is the grid is too close to the coals, but once I buy a woo that should solve the problem.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Once you have a minimax youll wonder how you got along without it....
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    feef706 said:
    I have a large and MM, the large is too big for quick/weeknight cooks, hence the MM, I love the MM, biggest complaint is the grid is too close to the coals, but once I buy a woo that should solve the problem.

The grid on the MM is close to the coals. I have also been considering a woo but I'm not sure if that will doo the trick. Luckily I still have a small that I use when I need to create distance between the coals and the cooking grate. I still would like a solution for the MM since it is my travel grill.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    From your post, I'd stay with both L,M.  I'd park the M on your front porch if the elements are that much of a concern.  Or just buy a Carhartt hoody.  You will not use the MM for its targeted purpose, portability.

You may be overthinking this.  I have two eggs with warranties, and one without.  I have zero concern for it, and have had replacement parts on standby for almost a decade.

The only gripe some have are the lack of accessories for the M.  Me personally, I think that would be part of the fun, finding and making my own.  Picking up a gently used 22 WSM later today, and looking forward mostly to pimping it out.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I like your idea of L and MM

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Have an XL and a MM. I do take the MM camping and tailgating. I use it 3-4 times per week, love it. Buy a KAB. Easily cooks for 4, perfect for ribs, roasts, butts, chicken, etc.
    has become my favorite.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Have an XL and a MM. I do take the MM camping and tailgating. I use it 3-4 times per week, love it. Buy a KAB. Easily cooks for 4, perfect for ribs, roasts, butts, chicken, etc.
    has become my favorite.
    @YukonRon. How are you doing ribs on mm?  Are you cutting slab in 1/2, and then cooking on edge?
    Phoenix 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Got a Joe. Jr, which is the same size as MM mostly, but I find myself always going to my large.  

I did make myself fire the medium up the other day.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Got a Joe. Jr, which is the same size as MM mostly, but I find myself always going to my large.  

I did make myself fire the medium up the other day.  
    "Make myself"..... Sounds like a chore!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    The Medium only weighs about 20 pounds more than the MiniMax. If you can pick up a MiniMax you can pick up a Medium.

You could buy a nest handler for the Medium (I'm assuming it is in a nest) which would make it a lot easier to roll the thing around from place to place.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I just won a mini max this weekend and let me tell you it is heavy, the wife had to help me carry it out of the car and into the motor home. Is your medium in a nest? if so are the wheels the oem wheels? if so get some larger wheels that will roll easier and ratchet strap the egg to the nest when moving it. Before you buy a MM go carry one around the store first, it weighs like 80 pounds and have you ever grabbed something the heavy and picked it up and carried it around?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have the XL and Medium.  I love the Medium as a second egg and chose it because: 1) I don't travel with my egg.. (I eat off the egg 3-4 times a week as it is and I have a large at my cottage) 2) I was lucky the Mini Max was not available when I bought the Medium. You can't go wrong. They are both great second eggs from what I can tell.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I just won a mini max this weekend and let me tell you it is heavy, the wife had to help me carry it out of the car and into the motor home. Is your medium in a nest? if so are the wheels the oem wheels? if so get some larger wheels that will roll easier and ratchet strap the egg to the nest when moving it. Before you buy a MM go carry one around the store first, it weighs like 80 pounds and have you ever grabbed something the heavy and picked it up and carried it around?
    Congrats on the MM win. That's awesome!

Thanks for the considerations. I used to play in some rock bands that regularly had me setting up 100lb amplifiers. Anyone know a good chiropractor?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    blasting said:
    YukonRon said:
    has become my favorite.
    @YukonRon. How are you doing ribs on mm?  Are you cutting slab in 1/2, and then cooking on edge?
    I cut them in 1/4 and space them on the grill. I have done 1/2, no problem, they are awesome. I just don't want to walk to the garage to get the rack.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have one of each and love both. My MM gets used for more searing cooks....while the Medium does more of the heavy lifting around low and slow cooks. Empty nesters here and find the medium has been serviceable for my larger volume cooks.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I just sold my medium to buy a large. Large and MM now!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    And how are you feeling about the decision and that specific combo? Your scenario is EXACTLY the decision I am facing. I like the Med quite a bit, but figure the added versatility of the Large and MM may be preferable. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I did great with the family of 4 on the medium! When the holidays roll around I do the majority of the cooking so I wanted the upgrade. More space and height for bigger birds and less crowded for ribs/briskets. After my first cooks on the large I'm not missing my medium anymore. The MM is a star when she's lit up. For me and what I wanted the LBGE/MM set up is perfect. When I do my first brisket here very shortly, I can't wait to not fold it in half. The Medium I really had to make sure nothing hung over the P.Setter so I didn't scorch it. Of course I used foil as a shield but now it's not going to be as much of a issue. The transition was so easy on the dialing in. My first cook was 2 racks of BB ribs laid flat (can't do on the mbge) nailed 250 out the gate. Held like a champ for 5 hrs. Looking back, I can't see why I wouldn't go to the LBGE/MM combo. Oh and fuel consumption was never a thought in this change...I cook and I'm going to use lump regardless. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Just get whatever you can afford. If you fancy a MM get one. Plenty like the medium and plenty like MM. If you don't plan to haul places Id stick with medium
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013