Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to tackle a moose roast

Options
poster
poster Posts: 1,172
I have a few of these in the deep freeze. Generally they are crockpot'ers as they are extremely lean. Anyone every try one on the egg? I don't know whether to take it slow or just steak them, marinade and sear them hot until medium.

Comments

• poster
    Options
    These would mainly be sirloins
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    There won't be enough fat. You would need to get a larding needle and fill it with pork fat to roast. You might get away with jaccarding the daylights out of it and use a high fat and acid marinade.You might want to cut steaks and do a fast sear till rare.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    There won't be enough fat. You would need to get a larding needle and fill it with pork fat to roast. You might get away with jaccarding the daylights out of it and use a high fat and acid marinade.You might want to cut steaks and do a fast sear till rare.

Had to Google Larding Needle--Pretty Cool Tool
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Bah. You can roast. They roast tenderloin all the time. 

Just don't overcook it 

i'd do steaks myself i think
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've used that for several deer. It always comes out great. 

Little Rock, AR

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would think you could do like @Darby_Chrenshaw said and slow cook it indirect like a whole tenderloin or sirloin.  I have done a whole tenderloin that was 8 pounds to an internal temp of 133 or so, tented it with foil and let let rest for about 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.  Cooked it at 275 to 300, but you could go lower it will just take a little longer.  Depending on how big it could take a few hours to get up to temp.  You other choice like you said, slice it and cook like steaks.  I look forward to see the cook on this one.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Crenshaw doesn't know moose from shinola. Big difference between sirloin and tenderloin. Trust a fellow canuck on this one. Where is Pagman? He lives in moose country

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Forget the species

you can absolutely cook a lean roast without larding

larding was done back when food was cooked to 160+

i'm not a fvcking idiot. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited April 2016
    Options
    today's pork loin has virtually no internal fat. Neither does tenderloin. And no one is larding that

Moisture loss in meat in from overcooking ONLY. That occurs ONLY with overcooking

Fat in meat helps when meat is overcooked because the melts. But it is not the only source of perceived moisture in properly cooked meat

This is pretty simple stuff

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I didn't say you were an idiot (thought that was obvious) but moose is ultra lean and more exercised than a hog. I've had some moose and it's pretty tough except the tenderloin.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    How about sous vide then sear? I am just getting into SV, so I assume everything can be cooked that way. Hahaha. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Hot and fast or in a stew.  I cooked them sous vide once but I did not leave them long enough so they were tough...

Options
    We often do burgers with tougher cuts

Options
    I do bison roasts at 275 until internal his 135 then rest and chill for a day and slice thin for sandwiches. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    How about injecting, braising, grind with beef or pork fat for burgers
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • poster
    Options
    500 said:
    How about injecting, braising, grind with beef or pork fat for burgers

I'm sure that would work fine, but moose does have a good flavor on its own, Its just extremely lean/tough. I don't want to hide it too much if possible. Hopefully im gonna get to this Sunday using Biggreenpharmacist's recommendation, as the egg would also shine using this method.  I will probably crank it up at the end and throw on a couple steaks too. The recipe goes by time for a rather large chunk. I think I will go to 150 for the first stage, and I'm gussing I will be around the 200 mark for the second. Sound about right? 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    today's pork loin has virtually no internal fat. Neither does tenderloin. And no one is larding that

Moisture loss in meat in from overcooking ONLY. That occurs ONLY with overcooking

Fat in meat helps when meat is overcooked because the melts. But it is not the only source of perceived moisture in properly cooked meat

This is pretty simple stuff
    Then what's the point, exactly, of prime meat in any context?  Isn't it because fat marbling DOES make a difference, whether it's a steak or a roast?

I think it's one thing to say you can cook lean meat without larding and still have it be really good, but it's another thing to say that larding won't improve a very lean piece of wild game.  People have been doing that for a very long time, and I think it's fallen out of use mostly because people in our days have very much less time to spend in the kitchen messing with food than they used to.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Slice it thin, marinate and make yourself some jerky!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    I have only dealt with the knuckle.  No help for the roast.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I have only dealt with the knuckle.  No help for the roast.
    Love me some moose knuckle  B)