Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kenji's The Food Lab

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
At 7lbs, holy smokes is this book thurough.  If you're a serious science nerd in the kitchen whether indoors or out,  I HIGHLY recommend this read.

I'm just getting into the thick of it, and it's awesome.  Like a modern day Betty Crocker.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0393081087/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1460389026&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=food+lab&dpPl=1&dpID=41tYfjj6yML&ref=plSrch

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

He's got some good stuff in there.  I like his writing.

I managed to get "Modernist Cuisine at Home" from the library.  Wow it's incredible.  Now I want a sous vide setup, a siphon, and a pressure cooker.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Focker
    blind99 said:

He's got some good stuff in there.  I like his writing.

I managed to get "Modernist Cuisine at Home" from the library.  Wow it's incredible.  Now I want a sous vide setup, a siphon, and a pressure cooker.

Thanks, I'm sure that's where I'm headed after this.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    what does it offer that a google search of serious eats doesn't?  I've cut way back on cookbooks and food magazines since I realized I usually default to google.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    A friend sent it to us a few weeks ago. Really great cookbook/science lesson.

However, my wife made the bolognese last night and it was a serious fail.

Had to get take out.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Focker
    edited April 2016
    BigWader said:
    what does it offer that a google search of serious eats doesn't?  I've cut way back on cookbooks and food magazines since I realized I usually default to google.
    Nothing much.  I'm sure if I cared, I could find some content.
    I'm an old soul, old school.
    I prefer, and still buy hardcovers. 
    And I still prefer buying CDs.
    Don't mind throwing him a little cash for the free content I have learned from in the past, I'm not that much of a cheap a$$.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker

dmchicago said:

Had to get take out.
    I've had pretty good luck with his stuff that I've tried, no inedible epic fails yet.
    But nobody hits the long ball everytime.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Was just over at serious eats, checking on the immersion blender mayo. Yet another of one of the many great innovations from Kenji et. al. Another book I have to add to my collection.

I bought a couple of K$ of cookbooks a few years ago, am trying not to jump into that again. Alas, MC just released their book on baking. Seeing that I gave my S. Corriher book "Bakewise," to 1 daughter, much to the displeasure of the other, I guess I'll have to get the MC volume, and pass it on, after a quick peruse.

@blind99, it will be hard to stop at just the toys you mentioned. You probably won't get a centrifuge, or a roto-vap, but there's way to many toys that don't start at a grand that you'll want.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    BigWader said:
    The book is mostly just a rehash/compilation of his stuff on the website.

I pre-ordered a copy anyway when he announced it last year just to help support someone whose work I enjoy and benefit from.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    I really like the book!  I frequent the website a lot, but it was a good way to support his work.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    dmchicago said:

Had to get take out.
    It happens. I tried the gooey stovetop mac n cheese and thought it was terrible. It was like eating a bowl full of cheese with some mac thrown in. 

I find the crap-ton of advertising on the mobile site off-putting, and the "millenial" style of writing annoys me at times ( I know I sound cantankerous). But I do check it out from time to time. Don't love it enough to buy the book right now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    BigWader said:
    Google is a great way to find information if you know what you are looking for.
    With this book, you learn information that you had no idea about. Hard to Google that.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

@gdenby what I really need is a 2nd kitchen.  a lot of my old Italian relatives had 2nd kitchens in their garages, basements.  with a walk in fridge/freezer.

I saw they had announced a bread book, is it out now?

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @dmchicago, I'm right there with you on the bolognese. Not close to Hazan's. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    blind99 said:

@gdenby what I really need is a 2nd kitchen.  a lot of my old Italian relatives had 2nd kitchens in their garages, basements.  with a walk in fridge/freezer.

I saw they had announced a bread book, is it out now?

Just under another year to publication.

My mother had 2 kitchens. Basement had an old heavy metal Tappan stove which remained her favorite forever. Was her mother's before her. 2 stoves, 2 'fridges. a deep freeze, a half a room filled w. pots and pans, another filled with tableware. Dishwasher and garbage disposal. A gas grill she never quite figured out.

Sadly, she passed before she could show much to her grand daughters, leaving me, the boy who almost never was in the kitchen, to hold her oven mitts. But the influence has passed on. All the kids cook well, 1 professionally.