Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Athens Eggfest this Saturday

Options
2»

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I'll let @20stone and @caliking explain what they cooked. 
    First... I'll be darned if we go nuts with 25 ingredient dishes (or whatever... it was a lot), and have @caliking fling his (fantastic) green curry sauce like Jackson Pollock.

Second, the second dish, above was the answer to the question they will ask on Top Chef Hawaii, when Padma strolls in wearing a grass miniskirt and a Tommy Bahama tank top .... "Spam was introduced to Hawaii after World War II, and miraculously in this verdant land where anything grows and importing even luxury items is prohibitavely expensive, people still eat pork raised and packed in Iowa, shipped by rail to Long Beach, and then shipped to Oahu, where the shipment sits in a blazing hot warehouse, and the cans are once again loaded and shipped for transport to the outer islands.  In this challenge, you must take inspiration from one of the thousands of popular local Spam dishes, and ELEVATE it using local ingredients.  For this quickfire challenge, you have use of the Southeast Asian pantry for spices (sponsored by Glad).  You will draw knives and work in pairs, and have 14 hours."

@caliking had the idea for the masubi (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi), popular in 7-11s in Hawaii, and I took 5 kg of beautiful Berkie/Manga pork collar combined with @Ms_Stones assembly of sauces and turned it into Spam.

I'm thinking it woulb be pretty good with brisket flat, too
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @texaswig after drinking literally all day with a bunch of eggheads, I was well past out. 

Edit: thanks for the pics. 
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    Here was the first plate I amassed. What a great day of visiting with eggheads and eating amazing food!
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I really wanted to go and I really wanted to get one of the Minis they were pre-selling. But it was my nephew's birthday so had to go to that. Would love to see more pics.
    @Toxarch They are honoring the prices thru the 15th.
    https://athenseggfest.com/buy-a-demo-egg/
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I hope anyone who wants to cook or attend an Eggfest in the Texas area checks into the Athens Texas Eggfest.
    The location and sponsors are incredible...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

These were the Cambodian-Style bison meatballs, with green curry, and mango salad. i was happy the way they turned out, and folks seemed to like them. I think we made about 200 or so of these. I lost count after a few batches.

This was really a great fest, at a great venue, with awesome sponsors/hosts. Highly recommend it if anyone has been on the fence. I'm planning on being there next year.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:

These were the Cambodian-Style bison meatballs, with green curry, and mango salad. i was happy the way they turned out, and folks seemed to like them. I think we made about 200 or so of these. I lost count after a few batches.

This was really a great fest, at a great venue, with awesome sponsors/hosts. Highly recommend it if anyone has been on the fence. I'm planning on being there next year.  
    As incredible as this photo is it does not do justice to this scoop of goodness...you guys put out some fantastic food.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    caliking said:
    This was indeed a great eggfest.  So glad that @Photo Egg and @Spring Hen talked us into this one. I didn't have time to take pics but I'm sure some folks took some to share. It was really a great day. Despite @20stone riding my a$$ all day about not plating  things at the correct  angle to incident light.  
    Too funny. Those fantastic bison balls and salsa didn't stay on the table long enough to worry about plating. So glad you @20stone and @texaswig came and had a good time. 
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    It turns out that the bite of the day for me was one of @texaswig's boudin stuffed jalepenos dunked in @caliking's green curry sauce. 

The bite(s) of today were the bison meatball bahn mi with green curry sauce and homemade pickles @ms_stone and I noshed on just now from ingredients absconded from yesterday

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    We had a great time sharing a tent with some great Eggheads
    @Austin Egghead , @caliking , @20stone and @texaswig
    Served up over 150 Scottie Balls, 300+ of our Texas Jambalaya, 125 of our Margarita Minis. Most Eggfests I try to take a few pictures. But we were so busy, and having fun, did not get a chance to do so. 
    This may well have been the best Eggfest yet! If you weren't there you missed a great one. Now on to the Bash this coming weekend.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Shoot.  Athens, GA, here, I was starting to get excited.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @texaswig - thats a beautiful pic of your son. 

I lucked out big time by cooking under the same tent as @Hotch, @Austin Egghead , @20stone , and Scott. After scarfing down more boudain bombers than I could count, and sneaking Margarita Minis when Hotch wasn't looking, somehow I still had room for the Chickens' magnum loads, and all kinds of goodies up and down that line on the deck.

@EggObsessed made a smoked + SV  pastrami that I'm going to try making sometime. It was pretty good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @caliking thanks.you know I'm gonna want that curry recipe.  He had a lots of fun and was well behaved all day. There were tons of kids there. It's a nice place for families. Everyone who set it up this event preserves lots of props. Everything went super smooth. lo 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    My family and I loved it. Great to see all of you. I will see most of you again in Houston. You all are so creative. I was stuffed. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    Hopefully this working every other weekend schedule will line up with an Eggfest in the near future. Looks like y'all had a great time.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)