Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Better Half is starting a diet

Options

Approaching her 40th trip around the sun, by much better half has decided to do a "Lifestyle" change and start one of those "Advocare 24 Day challenge" things.

Anyone ever have experience with those?  What can I cook for her?  I am clueless.  Thanks, fellow eggers!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Don't know about that particular challenge, but have, and currently am, lost weight while still Egging.  Veggies and measure your portions.  Try out a Fitbit and register th My Fitness Pal.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My wife lost all her weight doing BeachBody 21 Day Fix. It's pretty much just portion control,  clean eating and some workouts. We look up most of recipes on Pintrest and it's mainly chicken, fish and ground turkey with vegetables, rice and beans.
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    I've done the advocare 24 day challenge a couple times with pretty good success. It's really more portion control and eating rounded meals than a diet. 

Egg away to your hearts desire... Lots of fish, chicken without skin, lean steaks like flank. Grilled veggies were always a big hit. Just avoid/limit dairy. There's tons of advocare approved recipes floating around on the web!
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    My wife lost all her weight doing BeachBody 21 Day Fix. It's pretty much just portion control,  clean eating and some workouts. We look up most of recipes on Pintrest and it's mainly chicken, fish and ground turkey with vegetables, rice and beans.
    All her weight? So there's nothing left of her? Just kidding, I always support my better half dieting. Chicken, turkey and veggies sound about right. Not sure about advocare...
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Advocare puts a lot of emphasis on "clean" foods. Organic, simple. Very similar to Paleo with more flexibility.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Depending on one's genetics and how they absorb food, 90% of successful diets are the same. Portion control, more veggies, low sugar fruit, low saturated fat proteins. Typically the diet isn't the hard part, it's getting the brain around it that is difficult. 

However without a activity plan that one will stick to, most diets are for naught anyway.  I truly wish all those who are embarking on a quest such as this best of luck.  Lord knows I could lose a few as well.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    My wife is on some kind of diet. Right now it involves adding no fat to anything. It's killing me. For dinner tonight I blackened tilapia in the CI pan.... And smoked a pork butt just to be safe. 

Overall though it's good. It makes me realize how much better my own diet can be. More fruits and veggies and less beer and dessert. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DaveRichardson
    Brother, dieting is well beyond my expertise. I'm absolutely zero help here. However, if y'all should decide that y'all would like to pack on a few pounds, I can more than help y'all out ;)
    On a serious note, good luck with yalls weight loss. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I should have added that she's been a very active runner and half-marathoner for 3 years. Her father died suddenly of a heart attack at 56. She eats better than me, but wants to shed some body fat. It's not activity that she's changing. 

Thanks, Eggheads!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight recently (19kg), main reason was switching to exercise in the morning followed by Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup (pho ga). High in protein, it gets the metabolism kick started after a workout or run. Nibbled on chicken bits during the day and a smoothie, small dinner in the evening. I didn't have an egg back then, if I did I would have cooked fish on it.

I also cut out almost all bread and alcohol.

Got the weight down to an acceptable level for maintenance then added back in things I had abstained from, in moderation.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------