Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I finally belong here

Options

Comments

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You and your family will love that grill! 
  • Downr@nge
    Downr@nge Posts: 83
    Options
    Awesome man!   Congrats!
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    I was the same way with mine not too long ago and enjoy just throwing everything in there at the last minute (including wood chips)...watching it smoke to beat the band..and wondering all afternoon what it will look like when the probe tells me to open it up again. I don't worry about much when using the GrillGrates. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. What kind of ribs? Oink or Moo?  I'd vote for short ribs. Or plate ribs. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    Welcome. What kind of ribs? Oink or Moo?  I'd vote for short ribs. Or plate ribs. 
    I'm doing pork ribs. Although i couldnt get a plate setter so i had to rig something else so i could cook indirect. They look and smell pretty good so far.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Welcome. And what time should I stop by for some ribs?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• matoch
    Options
    I'd say today was relatively successful. The temp got away a bit high during the day and the lump went out a couple times but overall things were pretty good.

lessons learned:
    • i need something effective to light the lump
    • i need to figure out how to get more smoke flavor On the meat
    • although my subtitute platesetter worked i think the real thing would allow better airflow which may have stopped the lump from going out.

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    Change your avatar.  You're scaring me...  Welcome!!   Take it in jest.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. Looks like you did well to me. If you haven't already bought a PS. I might entice you to review CGS website prior to the PS purchase. Nothing wrong with just a PS (that's what I run w/ on my LG) but, there are other options available. 

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    matoch said:
    I'd say today was relatively successful. The temp got away a bit high during the day and the lump went out a couple times but overall things were pretty good.

Welcome, when you say the lump went out, what temp were you shooting for? I did a Boston butt on the MM for 8ish hours and managed to hold the temp to about 250ish for 6 of those hours, curious how you think your lump went out.
  • Eggzellent
    Options
    • although my subtitute platesetter worked i think the real thing would allow better airflow which may have stopped the lump from going out.
    You might already have one of those bent tube BenzoMatic torch heads that work on both propane and Mapp gas. I use the propane bottle/tube stuck through the vent hole to hit a small firestarter placed near the hole before the lump went in. It doesn't take much and too much seems to light the entire lump too quick.
    When the initial smoke clears, I've been just getting everything staged...throwing a handful of those lightly soaked Oklahoma Joe chips on the flame...quick throwing the guts in with the meat and leaving it. It seems to smoke (evenly) as the lump burns and the 10" stone in the woo (or whatever you come up with) seems to isolate things well enough.
    As far as the lump going out; I'm finding that you have to fill the firebox as much as is practical for your setup, be prepared for some lump to be better than others and that my 'scatter chips to the wind' method might exasperate the problem.
    I just don't care vs setting it/forgetting it and the quality of the initial smoke that I'm getting.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    matoch said:
    Thanks everyone.

i kinda forget that my work photo follows me around online :)

This is me when I'm not working.

Ans these are the two that are usually crawling all over me.

Good looking kids...must take after their momma..jk!

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • matoch
    Options
    feef706 said:
    matoch said:

Welcome, when you say the lump went out, what temp were you shooting for? I did a Boston butt on the MM for 8ish hours and managed to hold the temp to about 250ish for 6 of those hours, curious how you think your lump went out.
    I would have been happy anywhere between 210 and 260. It really seemed to want to stick around 200 for a long time which lead me to initially think there may have been an airflow issue. The settings were probably an inch and a half on the bottom vent and the daisy wheel in place with the holes fully open. 

i've thought about it a bit more and although the makeshift platesetter may have contributed to reduced airflow I'm not convinced it caused the lump to go out. 

When I figured out that it was no longer burning effectively I pulled the grill and makeshift platesetter out to see what was going on. I had only lit one spot in the lump and that had nearly burned to completion and had a good amount of ash left that was covering the holes of the grate. I knocked as much ash through the grate as I could and re-arranged the lump without adding any. I was able to get it burning a bit by blowing onto the lump. 

The second time it went out I added more lump and put a piece of paper towel in canola oil and then lit it on my gas barbecue. I put this in to light the lump and it did a decent job and stayed lit until the end of the cook. 

In short it may have been caused by
    1. makeshift plate setter reduced air flow
    2. vents may have needed to be open further
    3. poor lighting of lump/ash build up may have allowed it to burn out without igniting the rest of the lump.
    If anyone has any other idea's of things I can watch out for next time I'd to hear them.

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I don't see how the fire could have gone out with those settings, but I'm limited in experience 
  • matoch
    Options

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. Looks like you did well to me. If you haven't already bought a PS. I might entice you to review CGS website prior to the PS purchase. Nothing wrong with just a PS (that's what I run w/ on my LG) but, there are other options available. 

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/
    I might order one of these if I visit family in the states but because I'm in Canada it's just not cost effective. It's roughly $75 USD for the items and another $70 USD to ship it to me. On top of that I then have to covert it to canadian costing me about $180 vs what I figure is $100 for the platesetter.

Thanks for the recommendation though. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Lump that produces a lot of ash can clog up your airflow.  Rockwood produces very little, and Royal Oak is pretty decent for low ash as well.

@nphuskerfl made a good suggestion about Ceramic Grill Store.  I'd much prefer their set up to a placesetter.  Although not sure what's available for a MM since I don't own one.
    Phoenix 
  • matoch
    Options
    You might already have one of those bent tube BenzoMatic torch heads that work on both propane and Mapp gas. I use the propane bottle/tube stuck through the vent hole to hit a small firestarter placed near the hole before the lump went in. It doesn't take much and too much seems to light the entire lump too quick.
    When the initial smoke clears, I've been just getting everything staged...throwing a handful of those lightly soaked Oklahoma Joe chips on the flame...quick throwing the guts in with the meat and leaving it. It seems to smoke (evenly) as the lump burns and the 10" stone in the woo (or whatever you come up with) seems to isolate things well enough.
    As far as the lump going out; I'm finding that you have to fill the firebox as much as is practical for your setup, be prepared for some lump to be better than others and that my 'scatter chips to the wind' method might exasperate the problem.
    I just don't care vs setting it/forgetting it and the quality of the initial smoke that I'm getting.
    I actually stopped and looked at the torch you described today but I wasn't sure if they worked upside down or not so I figured I'd go do some reading.

Would you consider the BGE or other brand fire starters to be a necessity or can you light lump directly with one of those torches?

When you say a handful would you grab the absolute most you could grab with one hand or is it just what you'd get if you stuck your hand in and pulled out a comfortable amount?

I grabbed BGE lump this time since I figured it would be a safe choice. I'm going to look around and see what else is available where I live.

Thanks for the comments and ideas.
  • Eggzellent
    edited April 2016
    Options
    matoch said:
    I actually stopped and looked at the torch you described today but I wasn't sure if they worked upside down or not so I figured I'd go do some reading.

Would you consider the BGE or other brand fire starters to be a necessity or can you light lump directly with one of those torches?

When you say a handful would you grab the absolute most you could grab with one hand or is it just what you'd get if you stuck your hand in and pulled out a comfortable amount?

I grabbed BGE lump this time since I figured it would be a safe choice. I'm going to look around and see what else is available where I live.

Thanks for the comments and ideas.
    "...Would you consider the BGE or other brand fire starters to be a necessity or can you light lump directly with one of those torches?..."

Countless methods and even more firestarters. Some apparently use an oiled napkin/paper towel. I use little chunks of the cardboard looking firestarters as I have them. Some will argue that the fire needs to be started from the top and others just the opposite. I like the vent-hole-bent-tube method with the torch as I really don't need a firestarter even with propane fuel. In comparison I've got a weed burner for the XL. If I'm too lazy to go get a firestarter square or make one I still don't have sparks shooting all over the place using the vent hole/torch regardless. One disadvantage (and it may contribute to more lump burned quickly) is that the highest volume of air needed for rapid fire spreading is closest to the fire using this method. Light it 180 opposite and the air 'struggles' to reach a fire burning at the back of the firebox. Makes sense to me but who knows.

"..When you say a handful would you grab the absolute most you could grab with one hand or is it just what you'd get if you stuck your hand in and pulled out a comfortable amount.."

Probably leaning towards the latter and always leaning towards less on subsequent cooks. At $2 bag (on sale) from Menards (not sure what they have up there) that's probably less than $.50 a cook on the grab-as-much-as-you- can side. I've been trying this on the assumption that most meat only absorbs smoke for so long..some will say soak the chips..some will say not..it seems to smoke plenty long soaked for a short time. I'm guessing that this also contributes to burning the lump fast due to the chips being scattered all over haphazardly.

As offered before..don't do as I do because I'm always looking for the KISS or works by accident method and this cooker seems not to mind. I've always liked the BGE lump that you picked up yet am stuck now with the Menards (straw/ green)
    /Walmart (orange/red) RO and feel just glad to have it (works fine/doesn't taste bad).
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Mini to XXL there is plenty to learn here.  It's a great hobby and a great way to feed your family at the same time! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @matoch you can get Maple Leaf lump at Canadian Tire. I personally tried a whole bunch that were available locally and that's the best one for me. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I too like the Maple Leaf when I tried it, but the $18.99 price tag at CT makes me much more inclined to grab the $12.99 Basque Nature's Own at Costco. It's also great lump!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You've always belonged here....
    This.

Welcome.
  • 1move
    Options
    I too like the Maple Leaf when I tried it, but the $18.99 price tag at CT makes me much more inclined to grab the $12.99 Basque Nature's Own at Costco. It's also great lump!
    $18.99??? Here it's $22 and still a steal compare to BGE's at $38
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • matoch
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1move said:
    @matoch you can get Maple Leaf lump at Canadian Tire. I personally tried a whole bunch that were available locally and that's the best one for me. 
    I'll probably check that out when imfinish the bge stuff. It does seem like other options are half the price.

I didnt even know costco sold charcoal. I'll have to look the next time I'm there.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    1move said:

38$ / bag - HOLY CHIT!!!.  I just bought an emergency bag of Royal Oak (same stuff) and paid 10$.

From one canuck to another - yous gettin screwwwwed.

Phoenix 
  • 1move
    Options
    blasting said:
    1move said:

38$ / bag - HOLY CHIT!!!.  I just bought an emergency bag of Royal Oak (same stuff) and paid 10$.

From one canuck to another - yous gettin screwwwwed.

Yeah buddy!!! It costs a ton to ship the stuff to the westcoast and things were always way more in Alberta 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    matoch said:
    1move said:
    I'll probably check that out when imfinish the bge stuff. It does seem like other options are half the price.

I didnt even know costco sold charcoal. I'll have to look the next time I'm there.
    Yeah, the Naked Whiz has written a glowing (no pun intended) review of the Basque.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2016
    Options
    A beautiful family you have there. Welcome aboard....Love my MM.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • THEdexaTRON
    Options
    Welcome to the MiniMax family.  I got one about 2 weeks ago.  I'm going to do my first cook tonight on it.  
    Is that the big green egg rib rack?  I've been debating about picking up a rib rack for my egg