Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Guys, I am looking at blackstone with some questions.

Options
2»

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that sux at cleaning. My neighbor runs a bbq joint gave me the tip. I've is the best way to clean. Just dump a bunch on it hot. Same as water, but better. 
  • eggingitup
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I'd provide pictures as well, but after Matt's pics, I'd just look like the kid eating crayons. 
    I'll still want to see it.  =)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's a breakfast machine. You're in for some fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • eggingitup
    eggingitup Posts: 25
    edited April 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    It's a breakfast machine. You're in for some fun!
    oh, man. I'm always a sucker for a McDonald's sausage mcmuffin with egg sandwich and your pics give me a hope to tell my lady to let me have some when it is home cooked rather than getting it from McDonald's. It feeds the army!
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that sux at cleaning. My neighbor runs a bbq joint gave me the tip. I've is the best way to clean. Just dump a bunch on it hot. Same as water, but better. 
    "I've"?  I'm assuming this was a typo but I can't back into it.  I'm going to pick up my 17 now and will be seasoning today.  Thanks!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I bet it was ice. That's how they do it at those Japanese places that put on a show while they make so so food. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    gmac said:
    I bet it was ice. That's how they do it at those Japanese places that put on a show while they make so so food. 
    You'll run the risk of bowing it if you use ice. 
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

I'm an hour to so into seasoning it.  Going to let is cool now.  I have noticed that when using my scraper, it's making a mark in the seasoning.  Kind of like a tan mark against the black.  Hope this will clear up!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @eggingitup   Welcome, and congrats on the new BS.

I don't mean to pimp my own thread, but we had a thread talking about accessories and the grease trap problem.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189012/blackstone-simple-grease-trap-fix-accessories#latest

Accessories - I like Dexter High Heat, they have served me well.  

Cleaning is best while the griddle is still warm.  I have tried lots of methods, and have settled on this one.  Using the scraper on the right (white handle) I get rid of the food particles.  To clean off any crust on the griddle, I squirt peanut oil on the griddle and use one of the stainless scrunchie cleaner things (upper left in picture) Then I wipe with paper towels.  I had used water, but the oil seems to do a good job and when I'm done cleaning, it is already oiled for storage.  

The white thing in the picture is a hardtop cover I made.  In AZ, grill covers only last one season.  I never heard of anyone else trying my hardtop idea, or the grease trap fix, but I remain very pleased with both.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184521/ot-blackstone-griddle-hardtop-cover-prep-area-pics#latest

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Pro Tip: 

Dont touch the griddle. 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Used the BS tonight. Note the warping of the SS skirt that I mentioned earlier. This wasn't on high heat either. Grub was good though. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Used the BS tonight. Note the warping of the SS skirt that I mentioned earlier. This wasn't on high heat either. Grub was good though. 

Looks great brother Double!  Good to see you cooking on that warped POS =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    bgebrent said:

See what happens when ya want to go all country club!  <span>:smiley:</span>

Looks good from my seat. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I know I posted similar thread earlier, but my biggest question is how do you guys cover it when not in use? I guess I would have to accept I have one outdoor cooker that can't be left outside during the winter. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I know I posted similar thread earlier, but my biggest question is how do you guys cover it when not in use? I guess I would have to accept I have one outdoor cooker that can't be left outside during the winter. 
    I have a old fire pit cover I put over mine.  It's half azz, but whatever.  I wipe it off anyway before I cook.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • eggingitup
    eggingitup Posts: 25
    edited April 2016
    Options
    blasting said:
    @eggingitup   Welcome, and congrats on the new BS.

I don't mean to pimp my own thread, but we had a thread talking about accessories and the grease trap problem.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189012/blackstone-simple-grease-trap-fix-accessories#latest

Accessories - I like Dexter High Heat, they have served me well.  

Cleaning is best while the griddle is still warm.  I have tried lots of methods, and have settled on this one.  Using the scraper on the right (white handle) I get rid of the food particles.  To clean off any crust on the griddle, I squirt peanut oil on the griddle and use one of the stainless scrunchie cleaner things (upper left in picture) Then I wipe with paper towels.  I had used water, but the oil seems to do a good job and when I'm done cleaning, it is already oiled for storage.  

The white thing in the picture is a hardtop cover I made.  In AZ, grill covers only last one season.  I never heard of anyone else trying my hardtop idea, or the grease trap fix, but I remain very pleased with both.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184521/ot-blackstone-griddle-hardtop-cover-prep-area-pics#latest

Man, you are so resourceful and love the thread you suggested. I'm going to look into dexter high heat brand for it. 
  • eggingitup
    Options
    bgebrent said:

This cooks are what sold me for blackstone! Incredible and can't wait to cook on it.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @Scottborasjr

Scott, here is what I use. The idea came from another forum member here. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Tonight's Turkey Sausage and "Jacked Up Sweet Potato Hash."

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    @Dyal_SC killing it once again. Looks awesome brother. 

@DoubleEgger I've heard the official Blackstone cover isn't waterproof? Or is that just from the weight of it coming down on the flat top hence your archway design that someone else suggested?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @Scottborasjr I had heard that as well but I haven't had any issues. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @DoubleEgger do you keep yours outside year round? I'm in Nebraska so I go from snow to 90 degrees with 80% humidity in the summer. I suppose just like the Egg if you use it frequently problems take care of themselves.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @DoubleEgger do you keep yours outside year round? I'm in Nebraska so I go from snow to 90 degrees with 80% humidity in the summer. I suppose just like the Egg if you use it frequently problems take care of themselves.
    Yes. I bought mine on Black Friday and stays outside. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This is how it is for me in Maryland, except bump that up to 95-100/95 on the worst days. Biggest reason I went with the SS bottom since I noticed on some posts where the corners and weld sites of the coated-steel table were developing rust. Mine stays in my garage and I wheel it just out of the door to use it. I always wanted a griddle and was afraid that I wouldn't use it as much as I'd like, which could lead to the rust issues. I find that I use it 3-4 times a week for dinner and for breakfast on the weekends, so it gets plenty of attention.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    @scottborasjr, I am in Michigan and have had my BS outside for nearly 2 years. The cover is not waterproof, however, if you tent it as described above by @DoubleEgger the water does not get a chance to pool and runs off,  No rust on mine yet.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @scottborasjr, I am in Michigan and have had my BS outside for nearly 2 years. The cover is not waterproof, however, if you tent it as described above by @DoubleEgger the water does not get a chance to pool and runs off,  No rust on mine yet.
    My blackstone cover also leaked even when tented.  I solved it with a cheap blue tarp.  I keep the tarp folded so it is just a little bigger than the cooking surface.  The tarp goes on first, then the blackstone cover holds the tarp in place.  It sounds like a pain but is really not bad.  

The bottom of my cooking surface is starting to rust but the top is looking good.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I'm in middle NC and very humid in the summer.  Had mine since Aug of last year.  So far no rust.  

I'm pretty sure the SS model will likely rust too, just like the SS gas grills do.  They us cheaper grade steel to manufacture these units, hence @DoubleEgger warping issues.  

At least with the painted/powder coated one you can hit the rust with a steel brush and hit it with some paint and would look okay.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Mine has been outside for one full season. The cover is not quite waterproof. I did treat it with a waterproofing spray which helps. The griddle did rust at first. I had to clean and re-season each use the first couple weeks. Now that the griddle is seasoned better I have little to no rust on the cooking surface. I place a plastic sheet over the cooking surface prior to covering to help. I figure I can cover up small rust spots on the frame when needed. But these are cheap enough that when it gets bad I will simply get another. I like it so much that I will never be without one.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • OneNole03
    OneNole03 Posts: 93
    Options
    Blackstone is one of the next things I have on my wishlist. I mostly want it for tailgating with a little bit of use at home. Hoping to decide between the 17" tabletop or the tailgater.