Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum Marinating?

Options
BBbrew
BBbrew Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There was mention of vacuum marinating a few threads down. I was just thinking (probably shouldnt be doing this) but, wouldnt marinating under a vacuum suck the juice out of the meat and impede the flow of the marinade INTO the meat? I dont really want to get into the physics of pressure and flow, but I think that is how it works.[p]Wouldnt marinating under pressure be a better idea??[p]I am not trying to stir anything up here (I actually do have a Tilia vacuum sealer and have seen the recipes that call for marinating in a vacuum. I just havent tried it yet)[p]any thoughts on this?[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BBbrew,
    I would think that pressure would press the pores closed in the meat. A vacuum opens the pores up.
    I have been playing with this for almost a year, and have found that it really does work. I also like the fact that everything is totally sealed against leakage, and it is easy to massage the marinade (or rub) into the meat.[p]Just my experience. Always enjoy hearing from the physics experts if there are any ideas. I am just a graphic artist.[p]cheers!
    The snow is missing us.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    BBbrew,[p]I think the idea is to draw a vacuum in the bag with meat and marinate. This sucks all the air out of the meat fibers, then release the vacuum to allow the meat to suck the marinate back where the air use to be. It wouldn't marinate the meat well until you release the vacuum. I would also think that you wouldn't want to leave the vacuum on for long so that the meat snaps back better and thus sucks the marinate up into itself. I would also do 2-3 cycles like that. [p]Tim[p]Tim
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    It seems to me that it would also be beneficial to be standing on one leg (the left leg, in the northern hemisphere, to properly offset the effect of the spin of water going down the drain; right leg in the other hemisphere of course); furthermore, I would be interested in knowing whether pointing the tilia towards the equator would also have a beneficial effect. After calculating that (and assuming my wife had not yet called the constabulary to cart me off) I could sit and enjoy the results with a triple bock beer, except that I can't find a triple bock beer. Oh well. Maybe it is time to buy another knife sharpener....[p]<s>
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    hounddog,[p]I think that was unnecessary.[p]T
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Was intended to be humorous. sorry if you were offended.