Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerked oyster chunk-o-chest Monday

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mornin yall.
Fired up Mr. Big about 45 minutes ago, on this 25 degree Virginny mornin. Dome temp is at 220 now, and the outside of the dome is still freezing cold. Those ceramics are sumthin!! [p]The 3 pound "point" has been vacuum marinated since yesterday, with an occasional massage to force to ingredients into the chest. I look forward to slicing open the vacuum bag, and sliding the brisket onto the grate, while I smell the bite of oyster sauce and Eaton's jerk marinade (thanks again RhumAndJerk for the jerk). Nothin' like cooking on a crisp sunny day. [p]A chunk-o-chest kinda day.
Happy Holidays
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    Boy does that sound good. I have never tried Eaton’s on Beef.
    Is this the first time that you have had a chance to use Eaton’s? If so, you are in for a treat.[p]How is the Paprika holding out?[p]Hope the cook goes well,
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    First time I have used the Eatons. Just finished up the Walkerswood, and have moved onward. When I opened up the Eatons, I was greeted my a very unique smell. That stuff obviously has quite a kick to it, and quite diffferent from Walkerswood. I only used about a tablespoon in my mixture.[p]Here is the link if you wanna try it. Well, just about time to go watch Sponge Bob Square Pants with my sick 5 year old. [p]Still plenty of paprika! I need to try some of those paprika recipes you sent.[p]Thanks again
    NB

[ul][li]Oyster Jerk Marinade[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    Making any Crabby Patties?
    That recipe sounds great. Sometime after the Holidays I will give it a try. Cat’s Ribs are next in the queue. I am heading down to the Dominican Republic in about a week. I am looking forward to the Rhum. I hope that Customs does not give me too much hassle about what I bring back.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Just tell the customs people that your middle name is Rhum. They'll let you have what ever you want....just don't tell them your other middle name is Jerk.[p]Hope you have a blast while we freeze our butts off!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Man, I envy you NB. I was planning on cooking some jerkey this weekend but low and behold, out of lump and there is none left in the egg, at least not enough for 6-8 hours. I was ticked. Then, with the roads being a solid sheet of ice, my lump store was closed so noplace to get any. So, the brisket jerkey sits in the marinade for another couple of days till I can get to the store and get some lump. This weather here has been brutal. 11 inches of snow Wednesday, 3 more Thursday, thaw Friday just a bit with some snow/rain mix, then Saturday this arctic blast came through and froze things solid. The roads around town are impassable. And me with no lump, life sucks sometimes. But, it sure is purdy outside. Looking forward to a white christmas for the first time in years around here. Hope the brisket comes out yummy for ya.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Sirlointip.jpg
    <p />sprinter,
    Thanks. Internal temp on the chunk-o-chunk-o-chest hanging put at 169 after 6 hours. The smell coming from the top vent is especially wonderful in the cool air. [p]We might get our first snow tomorrow morning if the storm develops. Who knows what will happen here in the east, but it looks like the midwest could get hammered this year. Sorry about your lump situation. guess you will buy more than one bag when you finally get it! Why don't you cook with your smoking wood chunks?? Or some firewood. You like it REAL smoky anyway. [p]Stay warm!
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Funny you should say that, I'm building a toy barn for my son for Christmas and I have a lot of additional smoking wood, have been seriuosly considering filling the firebox and letting her rip with just that. It's all chunks of cherry wood, about 2-3 inches square, some longer, some shorter but it would work nicely. Got me thinkin and thats dangerous. May just give that a shot this evening or tomorrow. I actually thought I had another bag in the cellar, I was wrong. At the beginning of the summer I bought 4 bags, swore I've only used three, must have been mistaken. Time to make a trip to the lump store but will have to wait for the plows to clear a path.[p]That brisket sure is looking purdy, let me know how it tastes.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy, Good looking. What was the temp and indirect or direct? How much fat was on the meat? You said vac packed, did you use a food saver to marinade?
    Might have to try this, soon.
    I hope you get some snow. Wind chills here today -30. We've already have gotten about 15 inches of snow this year. Winter starts Dec. 21.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    Sorry about that. The picture was of a sirloin tip roast I cooked earlier in the year as an experiment. No lump, no seasonings, no thermometers. Just posted it to get you thinkin about cooking without lump.[p]But the brisket (no pictures) is looking purty. About 180 now. Will pull any minute. Polder probe seems to slide in and out like a stick of room temp butter.[p]I say let that cherry wood rip! get a good fire burnt down to some coals and go for it. Maybe ot for the jerky, but lots of stuff you could cook. I'll try and remember to post the brisket results. [p]Hang in there.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Car Wash Mike,
    Looks like I screwed up in the communications department. That is an old picture meant to inspire Sprinter to cook with real wood since he is out of lump. It is a sirloin tip roast, and since I didn't use a thermo, I don't really know the temp. I cooked it until it felt right sliding the polder probe in and out. I was just trying to see if I could do a cook without aids like lump and thermometers. [p]The brisket is going indirect at 250. I used the Foodsaver, and sealed the brisket and marinade into the bag (the manual seal button helps greatly here). Supposedly helps to open the pores of the meat and "suck" the marinade in.[p]I hope we get snow too, but we'll probably get the DC area sleet we always get. Winter started a month ago![p]Happy Holidays
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Nature Boy,
    I'm glad you clarified what that hunk of beef was cuz I was going to ask you what kind of cows do you have in Virginny that have briskets that look like that.

• Nature Boy
    Howdy again Troy.
    Jut finished up dinner. The 3 pound brisket took about 8 hours to hit 185, and was wonderfully tender and moist. Hung out at the 167 plateau level for about 2.5 hours, then began its final climb. Dome temp was at 250 the entire cook.[p]The marinade was good, but definitely too salty. Oyster sauce is pretty salty (not sure about the Eatons jerk seasoning). When I used the same marinade on a London broil, it was perfect....but I think the brisket soaked up the marinade really well this time (maybe it was the vacuum marinating). Flavor was great, and the Eaton's Jerk has a major kick to it (tongue still tingling). So, overall a success, but next time will cut the oyster sauce in half for brisket.[p]Plenty of leftovers for lunches. Will definitely do the "point" cut again if I can find it. Cut like meatloaf.
    Sitting back drinkin' one of Kenny G's PBRs right now while my tongue tingles.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter,[p]Sorry about the fat fingers, working on a new laptop and I'm still trying to get used to the keyboard. I thought that looked strangely NOT like a brisket, but you said that you were cooking the tip and I've never cooked anything but a whole brisket so I didnt want to say anything. I didnt get a chance to cook that stuff with just cherry. With -40 windchill lastnight, I wasnt going to go out in that if I didnt have to. As it turns out, I had to anyway. We rent an apartment above our garage and the tennant, a 24-25 year old woman, got stuck, car wouldnt start etc etc etc. So, I dug her out, started the car, helped her get where she was going. Man, it was chilly. Oh well, maybe when it warms up a bit, should be better in a day or so. I plan on getting some lump today. Brisket sounds awesome. Then again, I've never really had a BAD one cooked on the egg. Congrats.[p]Troy
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    I could see where the Soy Sauce and Oyster Sauce would add too much salt with the Eaton’s. Instead of a marinade, think of Eaton’s as wet rub. If you taste the Wet Rub by itself, it is very salty. When applied to meat it is the right amount of salt and it cures the meat well. I did a rack of Baby Backs in just Eaton for Eggtoberfest, I was not able to warn all of the people of the heat level before they were surprised. This is where having the rub on the meat for two days really flavors and tenderizes the meat.[p]Congrats on the Brisket.[p]Now you have me hungry for some Jerk,
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks for the explanation, It makes sense that the jek would have plenty of salt. I think the Eaton's must also be saltier that the Walkerswood. Next time I'll stick with just the jerk....or if I do the oyster sauce thing, maybe I can add some other kind of non-salty heat.[p]Maybe we can talk you into doing jerked ribs at the Maryland Eggfest![p]Just starting to snow here.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    I hope that I can. I did the ribs on the mini over Apple and Guava.[p]Since the Dominican exports coffee, I am going to try to get some coffee wood back.[p]It snowed most of the night, but there was not much accumulation. According the Weather Channel, you are about to get a double punch, this system and then one moving up the coast.[p]Dreaming of Sun,
    RhumAndJerk[p]