Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Ceramic? Guesses?

Options
123457»

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Give me a large and mini over this. Though I would like to cook on one sometime. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    That's a grill of a lifetime...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would point out that there is no need for a warranty on ceramics when there aren't any. The summit charcoal grill should last a long, long time. Just saying. I'm not sure that is a valid criticism. Others, maybe so. 
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    I called my local Litehouse (Weber dealer) and the one with the table on the side is $3300, special order, 4-6 weeks delivery.  She said it's made of metal, not ceramic.  I'm not going to be closed minded to it but aside from my continuous battle with sever underbite, I love my BGE.

Strongsville, OH

• pgprescott
    Options
    I called my local Litehouse (Weber dealer) and the one with the table on the side is $3300, special order, 4-6 weeks delivery.  She said it's made of metal, not ceramic.  I'm not going to be closed minded to it but aside from my continuous battle with sever underbite, I love my BGE.
    2k for the side table model. 
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Personally I'd take the Weber over this thing any day.  I personally don't like the tiled Kamado look and this is basically $2k for a Medium egg.  At least the Weber is giving you a 24.5" grate (XL) and side table for that price.
    Firecraft is selling it online for $1,999.95 that dealer is ripping people off worse than Weber at that price.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I like Weber products and have used them for many years, but I haven't touched my kettle since I bought my Egg. To me, the Egg simply outperforms the kettle in every aspect but price.

I think Weber will sell a bunch of these. They're a strong brand. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I agree with aukerns08.  Based on the experience I have with Weber products, odds are it is a quality product.  

I do think it is quite over priced.  If it were in the $700-800 range, with the table option around $300 more it would definitely be a threat to BGE- XL size and L price with the Weber brand would move LOTS of units.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If BGE's had no set price and that Weber didn't either, who would honestly choose that or prefer that based on the information given and how to use the product? $ is a deterrent in this case but aside from that I still don't see myself using this over an Egg.
    Austin, Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    I would point out that there is no need for a warranty on ceramics when there aren't any. The summit charcoal grill should last a long, long time. Just saying. I'm not sure that is a valid criticism. Others, maybe so. 
    There products are excellent quality.  However, I did have to replace the cast aluminum base on my Weber Genesis after 9 years because of burn through.  The cast inner lid with nuclear temps might be cause for concern.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I used the Webber products for years. The Platinum Kettle and the smoking Joe has been represented in many of the photographic images, captured over the years, of my friends and family having a great time and eating great Q.

In fact, I had always made a pork loin roast slowly smoked in an offset on the Webber, and always thought it was the best. I had my heart set on getting a BGE for years, but had a hard time justifying the cost.

That ended when a client of mine invited me to dinner. He wast doing a roasted pork loin. It was on his BGE. I actually chuckled to myself, "yeah, right, nobody ever will compare to what I have perfected.

The day I returned home from that project in California, (a cold snowy February day) I bought an XL. I did a pork loin that night. It was awesome.

I bought the MM, within a couple of weeks, because, just as the weather lightened up, camping and tailgating were soon to follow and I was no longer remotely interested in using the Smoky Joe.

I let my children use both the Webbers now. I still use the Platinum to cold smoke. I cook all the important stuff on my BGEs.

Maybe I have become a snob, maybe I am cooking with blinders on. I will tell you this, anything I have cooked on the BGE, has, in my opinion, and the opinion of others, is far superior to what I used to turn out with a Webber, and the food on the Webbers, was pretty damn good.

I will withhold judgement on this new product until I know more than what Webber is posting, and the speculation, here. It will have to be an incredible cooking implement to sway the devotion I have with my BGE's.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    If BGE's had no set price and that Weber didn't either, who would honestly choose that or prefer that based on the information given and how to use the product? $ is a deterrent in this case but aside from that I still don't see myself using this over an Egg.
    The amount of people would completely surprise you honestly.  The only reason we feel the way you describe is because we have BGE's and experience with them.  A lot of people out there have never even heard of Big Green Egg but most likely they've heard of Weber so they go to Weber.  Couple that with the fact that Weber is an all inclusive grilling company meaning they have options for all types of budgets and styles of grill which is a huge factor in building brand loyalty.  They have the ability to grab a customer as a kid in college or fresh out of college with $100 to spend on a grill and the $100 kettle is quality so it holds up and lasts.  As that customer decides to buy different or more grills to upgrade who do you think is getting their first look?  Of course it's going to be Weber because most likely the first kettle they bought is still holding strong.  People have to go out and find Big Green Egg or be introduced by someone else which gives Weber the advantage as well.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    bgeaddikt said:
    The only reason we feel the way you describe is because we have BGE's and experience with them.  A lot of people out there have never even heard of Big Green Egg but most likely they've heard of Weber so they go to Weber.  Couple that with the fact that Weber is an all inclusive grilling company meaning they have options for all types of budgets and styles of grill which is a huge factor in building brand loyalty.  
    Nailed it, @aukerns08. Weber is an iconic brand name with a huge market. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Yeah but a "Grill For A Lifetime" should have more than a 10 year warranty yes?

One potential weak spot I see (just from looking at many photos of this thing) is that on the bottom shell the lip appears to be just Weber's usual porcelainized steel. My guess is that it won't take too long for a wayward spatula, or a grate, or tongs, or whatever to eventually start chipping that and once that stuff does chip rust will soon follow.

Also, what is likely to happen to the shells when someone inevitably lets their fire get away from them and they have a 1000°F fire going? Will the metal warp? Will the inner dome shell, which is aluminum, start to melt?

Weber's engineers are not stupid and I'm sure they have considered that but I can't wait to see video of someone "letting her rip" and see how this thing handles it.

On another forum I saw a post and a picture of a fellow that attended a demo at a dealer in his area. The temp needle was pegged at 600°F+ and he was resting his hand comfortably on the dome. I was a bit impressed by that.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:

One potential weak spot I see (just from looking at many photos of this thing) is that on the bottom shell the lip appears to be just Weber's usual porcelainized steel. My guess is that it won't take too long for a wayward spatula, or a grate, or tongs, or whatever to eventually start chipping that and once that stuff does chip rust will soon follow.

Also, what is likely to happen to the shells when someone inevitably lets their fire get away from them and they have a 1000°F fire going? Will the metal warp? Will the inner dome shell, which is aluminum, start to melt?

Weber's engineers are not stupid and I'm sure they have considered that but I can't wait to see video of someone "letting her rip" and see how this thing handles it.

On another forum I saw a post and a picture of a fellow that attended a demo at a dealer in his area. The temp needle was pegged at 600°F+ and he was resting his hand comfortably on the dome. I was a bit impressed by that.

None of the ceramic grills warranty anything but the ceramics for life. There is a reason for that.

Key word, "Potential". We will see. I would just point out there a A LOT of people who have grilled on kettles for decades without incident. 10 years is a pretty good warranty. I don't disagree that there may be problems, I would just give them the benefit of the doubt for now. They aren't a startup.

The price is steep and will need to be justified through hands on use.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I wouldn't be too bothered by the warranty.  To me, the irony of a 10 year warranty on something heavily marketed as a Lifetime grill is funny.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Legume said:
    I wouldn't be too bothered by the warranty.  To me, the irony of a 10 year warranty on something heavily marketed as a Lifetime grill is funny.
    Yep, the Weber team missed those fine details. 

I can just hear the Weber CS line now from a yuppi somewhere in suburbia.....
    "Would it be okay if I used 4 scoops of charcoal to smoke my Texas brisket instead of 3?" 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

None of the ceramic grills warranty anything but the ceramics for life. There is a reason for that.

Key word, "Potential". We will see. I would just point out there a A LOT of people who have grilled on kettles for decades without incident. 10 years is a pretty good warranty. I don't disagree that there may be problems, I would just give them the benefit of the doubt for now. They aren't a startup.

The price is steep and will need to be justified through hands on use.
    The "mission critical" parts of a kamado - the ceramics - do have the lifetime warranty for a reason they are prone to failing.

None of the "mission critical" parts of the Weber "Grill FOR A Lifetime" have a lifetime warranty. Kinda ironic ain't it?

Kettles are tough. Mine is just over 10 years old and it has quite a few rust spots along the top edge of the bowl. It's not going to fail or become unusable anytime soon. I'm sure it will still be fine in another 10 years. However, it cost a tenth of the "Grill For A Lifetime". 

Since their new grill is part of their Summit line I was a bit surprised to see that the outer shells (at least) were not stainless if only to avoid the eventual rust problem. 

As I said earlier, I'd buy one today if the cart model was $1K. At $2K I'm not at all interested.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    For $2k you could bring a clean fresh water source to 60 people in Africa.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    For $2k you could buy enough pencils to stck up 9x taller than the empire state building.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For $2k you could go to the dollar store and buy two thousand most excellent items of merchandise.
    Options
    For $2k I could pay for my girls surgery, or buy a hyped up grill.
    Austin, Tx
  • pgprescott
    Options
    For $2k you could go to the dollar store and buy two thousand most excellent items of merchandise.
    False advertising. Most stuff in our dollar store is a couple bucks now! One thousand items is pretty good though.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    For $2K you could buy lotto tickets and increase your odds of winning from a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent to a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    False advertising. Most stuff in our dollar store is a couple bucks now! One thousand items is pretty good though.
    Dollar Tree - "Everything is a Dollar"

Yeah, most "dollar stores" have stuff for below and above a dollar.  But they also have stuff for a buck.
    Options
    for $2k I can have quite a fun night in Vegas...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    For $2k, I could have a helluva night at the Cheetah...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    You could buy 8,000 party beads, which in New Orleans means ....