Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonneau covers

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum

I bought a new truck a few months ago and I knew at the time I needed a new tonneau cover. I didn't buy one yet, as my need for it wasn't until spring.

I had an Extang Tri fold on my last truck and it was great but the foams ripped and leaked and they were super expensive to replace for just a measly piece of foam so I just never did.

I dont want to go down that road again so im looking at the Undercover Flex. I still have the ability of the tri fold for hauling, which I like. I have looked at the Bakflip ones but they are much pricier for the same product, not that they are bad but just If I don't need to spend $3-400 more than I need to I wont.

Anyone have any experience with the Undercover model?

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    I have a Bakflip G2 on my Tacoma and I really like it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Have you looked at the "Fold A Cover" system?  It is on par with the Bakflip series, and isn't the lower cost option.  I have the G4 for my Toyota Tacoma and it is the folding version, albeit solid construction.  Overall it has held up pretty well over the last couple of years, with a few dings and some small chips in the paint.  Due to the way the tailgate on the Tacoma is designed, being lower than the side rails, I'd have to install some weather stripping to make it watertight.  There is about an inch gap between the top of the tailgate and the bottom of the cover.  

You may want to see if there is a forum dedicated to your particular truck as well, they'll probably have a wealth more information about specific covers that fit your specific truck and model.

Best of luck,
    HD
  • hondabbq
    td66snrf said:

Some forums I have read say the backflip rests on the cab of the truck when fully opened, and others say it doesn't.  Does it rub against the paint on the cab?

The UC tonneau stands up.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    hondabbq said:
    td66snrf said:

Some forums I have read say the backflip rests on the cab of the truck when fully opened, and others say it doesn't.  Does it rub against the paint on the cab?

The UC tonneau stands up.

the way thatone stays open would drive me crazy. mine just a rollup made by access, lorado model. going on 12 years now still holding up and no leaks, simple closure and adjustment if it ever sags which it hasnt. it has a simple cam type closure were you roll it closed and snap the rear bar, all the inner bars roll up with the cover
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I second the Backflip G2.  I have on my Tundra and I love it.

It comes with rails and does not rent on any paint.  Also the way it opens I think is great.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • I purchased a Peragon Retractable 2 months ago. I really like it. It's practically water tight. Check them out. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I purchased a Peragon Retractable 2 months ago. I really like it. It's practically water tight. Check them out. 
    I looked at the Paragon a few years ago. The issue I had with it was that you could not open it if your bed was fully packed as the Paragon needs to "dive down" into the bed. Probably not a big deal most of the time but I decided to go with something else.

It does look really sharp tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• hondabbq
    I purchased a Peragon Retractable 2 months ago. I really like it. It's practically water tight. Check them out. 
    I have to load my truck bed front to back every week all summer. that wont work for me.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    A van.

I bought a new truck a few months ago and I knew at the time I needed a new tonneau cover. I didn't buy one yet, as my need for it wasn't until spring.

I had an Extang Tri fold on my last truck and it was great but the foams ripped and leaked and they were super expensive to replace for just a measly piece of foam so I just never did.

I dont want to go down that road again so im looking at the Undercover Flex. I still have the ability of the tri fold for hauling, which I like. I have looked at the Bakflip ones but they are much pricier for the same product, not that they are bad but just If I don't need to spend $3-400 more than I need to I wont.

I just bought a new truck in November of 2015.  I put the Undercover Flex on it and am really pleased.  I've had stuff in there in some pretty bad down pours and everything stayed nice and dry.  I have nothing negative to say but I'm only a few months into owning it.  I do like that it allows full bed access, although you can't see out the back window with it all the way up.  The MiniMax also fits in the bed of my Silverado with the Flex down, no wet MiniMax.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• hondabbq
    A van.

And follow into societies expectations and being suckered into having kids> No thanks.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq said:

I just bought a new truck in November of 2015.  I put the Undercover Flex on it and am really pleased.  I've had stuff in there in some pretty bad down pours and everything stayed nice and dry.  I have nothing negative to say but I'm only a few months into owning it.  I do like that it allows full bed access, although you can't see out the back window with it all the way up.  The MiniMax also fits in the bed of my Silverado with the Flex down, no wet MiniMax.

Great to hear. Its even based on the same manufacturer. I bought a GMC Sierra All Terrain. If I ever had the cover folded all the way back up to block the rear window it would only be for a short distance and not a long haul of something.

Thanks.  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    hondabbq said:
    A van.

And follow into societies expectations and being suckered into having kids> No thanks.
    Classic.  You're thinking minivan, not van, but still this might be the oddest comment I've read on this forum.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Bakflip F1 on my truck, love it.
  • HeavyG said:
    I looked at the Paragon a few years ago. The issue I had with it was that you could not open it if your bed was fully packed as the Paragon needs to "dive down" into the bed. Probably not a big deal most of the time but I decided to go with something else.

It does look really sharp tho.
    hondabbq said:
    I have to load my truck bed front to back every week all summer. that wont work for me.
    Yeah, I understand. I don't work out of my truck so loading it to capacity isn't an issue for me. They all seem to have pros and cons. 
  • I have a Roll-N-Lock on my truck and love it. I haven't had any problems with water getting into the bed. 
    XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    I have a Bakflip F1 and this looks absolutely identicle. I didnt see a weight rating for the cover but unless its really low i wouldnt hesitate to buy the undercover flex
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I bought the bakflip f1 for my Chevy.  It's awesome. Get the fiberglass one as it will hold up better in a hailstorm. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    We sold several types at the Toyota store I ran. Used several types on demos. When I retired two years ago I wanted one that would note leak for traveling. Bought a 
    Undercover Lux and not looked back. Wife and I can put it on or off in 5 mins and only 50 lbs. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited April 2016
     =) just upping post count
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hondabbq

Id love to get a solid tonneau cover, but having to load and unload the truck from front to back on a weekly basis makes it unattainable. One guy stands in the bed and the other one puts items on the tailgate. Cant do that with these. I wish I could.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Don't get a roll n lock whatever you do. They may be ok in Texas but for us here they suck. I have one on my company truck and it's always frozen in the winter. They are supposed to drain but if that drain plugs which it can do through normal wear and tear you won't know until it is too late. I have had to take the hose out and run hot water in in more than once to get it open. Winnipeg is not the right spot for that sort. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • hondabbq

gmac said:
    Don't get a roll n lock whatever you do. They may be ok in Texas but for us here they suck. I have one on my company truck and it's always frozen in the winter. They are supposed to drain but if that drain plugs which it can do through normal wear and tear you won't know until it is too late. I have had to take the hose out and run hot water in in more than once to get it open. Winnipeg is not the right spot for that sort. TT
    Thank god im smart enough to have recognized that when I first saw them. Knowing the freeze and thaw component plus just the snow on the cover with some sun, it was a no go from the start.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mickey said:
    We sold several types at the Toyota store I ran. Used several types on demos. When I retired two years ago I wanted one that would note leak for traveling. Bought a 
    Undercover Lux and not looked back. Wife and I can put it on or off in 5 mins and only 50 lbs. 

Mick,

I had the same type on my Tundra. The latches broke and the rods got bent. Had to order a whole new cover. Fortunately my SIL is a service manager so I got a discount.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    Mickey said:

Mick,

I had the same type on my Tundra. The latches broke and the rods got bent. Had to order a whole new cover. Fortunately my SIL is a service manager so I got a discount.

They didn't have parts available for them?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Just put on a Truxedo Low Pro QT, easy DIY.  The one on my Taco has stood the test of time and is not garaged, snow, ice, hail.  Still dry inside.  Granted, it does take adjusting the tightness every so often, easy to do.  And I keep it in nice shape with 303 Aerospace Protectant, one of my detailer faves.  Again easy, spray and wipe with a microfiber towel.    

The one piece solid tonneaus are only practical on a show truck.  My uncle absolutely hated his, and went back to a Truxedo.  Reviews are favorable for the Truxedo brand, they've built a reputation in the market.  They're solid, practical, if your truck gets used, like a truck.

My first attempt was a Lund Genesis Elite Canvas.  Ran into a problem on install d/t my bed rail caps.  Eventually had to return it to Farm and Fleet.
    Lund was helpful at trying to address the issue.  

A Pelican tucks in perfectly.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Focker said:
    Just put on a Truxedo Low Pro QT, easy DIY.  The one on my Taco has stood the test of time and is not garaged, snow, ice, hail.  Still dry inside.  Granted, it does take adjusting the tightness every so often, easy to do.  And I keep it in nice shape with 303 Aerospace Protectant, one of my detailer faves.  Again easy, spray and wipe with a microfiber towel.    

The one piece solid tonneaus are only practical on a show truck.  My uncle absolutely hated his, and went back to a Truxedo.  Reviews are favorable for the Truxedo brand, they've built a reputation in the market.  They're solid, practical, if your truck gets used, like a truck.

My first attempt was a Lund Genesis Elite Canvas.  Ran into a problem on install d/t my bed rail caps.  Eventually had to return it to Farm and Fleet.

access and truxedo are both great cold weather rollup covers, before i had these types i had the snap style thats worthless in the cold. i see problems with snow and ice with thos flip covers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    I just bought a Xtang Solid fold 2.0. It's wayy better than the first generation. 
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Focker said:

access and truxedo are both great cold weather rollup covers, before i had these types i had the snap style thats worthless in the cold. i see problems with snow and ice with thos flip covers
    My brother had a button up cover with a bowtie custom stitched, installed on his Silverado.  This pic was pre tonneau.  You're right, he hated it.  Looked nice when buttoned up and not used. lol

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    @Little Steven two years on this one. Never had any on demos over 90 days. 
    Really not any problems reported from parts department. 
    Room for yetis