Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Guys, I am looking at blackstone with some questions.

Options
eggingitup
eggingitup Posts: 25
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
A buddy of mine kept raving about blackstone and how useful it is to me. I only have a large bge and always wanted more like a nice weber gas grill for the quick cooks (hot dogs, an example) where you can just walk to it and turn it on. The friend say I should invest in blackstone to go with big green egg so I decided to ask you guys to see if it is worth it to get it. I'll appreciate all of the given information because there is nothing better than this forum with all knowledge you guys have.

1. I live in a family of nine people and is it worth it to get 28 inch or I should go for 36 inch, why?
2. What is the best tools and brand of it that I need to get for it?
3. How to clean it properly after the cooks?
4. How to properly season it for the first time?
5. Show me your pics of your cooks on it and what is the best food to cook on it?

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited April 2016
    Options
    get the 36" and a spare fuel tank to keep handy.  Any professional grade spatula will work but I prefer a long handle flexible blade spatula.  And I prefer to use coconut oil.  Other than that, it's just a matter of firing it up and having fun learning how to use it.

Meanwhile, spend some time watching YouTube videos and you will learn quickly how to cook on it.  Just search for Blackstone Grill.

Don't worry, it won't take the place of your Egg but it will give you another great option when cooking lots of interesting meals.

Spring "Breakfast On The Blackstone This Morning" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    If you go to Google and type in Blackstone and egghead forum together you will get a bunch of Web pages of cooks with the Blackstone. I know there was one post that had 6 or 7 pages worth of comments. Definitely worth a read. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Addressing point #5 The Philly Cheese Steak is one of my favorites. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    @4Runner seasoned the one I have with flax seed oil. If you have a family of 9, most definitely go with the 36 inch.  To clean, and I'm not sure if this is the correct way, but after my cooks, I have been squirting some water on the hot surface and scrape any crud away towards the front with a spatula.  Then wipe clean and re-oil.  Here are a few cooks I recently did. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1193483/ot-shrimp-tacos-on-the-black-stone-pix#latest

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1193683/ot-jacked-up-sweet-potato-hash#latest
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm also seriously considering a Blackstone.  Just have to figure out how to get rid of the stainless steel gasser that is taking up the spot where the Blackstone will go.

Here's the link that @WeberWho referenced:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182676/ot-blackstone-36-griddle-is-legit/p1

Lots of information there answering some of the questions you have...

1. I have a family of 4 and I'm going to go with the 36 inch model.
    2. I'm interested in hearing about *where* to purchase the tools, like the proper spatula, etc.  The linked thread has a lot of info on the tools needed.
    3. In the linked thread
    4. A detailed description of what to do is in the first page of the link and then again later in the thread
    5. Lots of pictures in the linked thread

In closing, I just want to say that I hate everyone on the forum for spending my money!   :)
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    I'm also seriously considering a Blackstone.  Just have to figure out how to get rid of the stainless steel gasser that is taking up the spot where the Blackstone will go.

Here's the link that @WeberWho referenced:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182676/ot-blackstone-36-griddle-is-legit/p1

Lots of information there answering some of the questions you have...

1. I have a family of 4 and I'm going to go with the 36 inch model.
    2. I'm interested in hearing about *where* to purchase the tools, like the proper spatula, etc.  The linked thread has a lot of info on the tools needed.
    3. In the linked thread
    4. A detailed description of what to do is in the first page of the link and then again later in the thread
    5. Lots of pictures in the linked thread

In closing, I just want to say that I hate everyone on the forum for spending my money!   :)
    @Stoogie the closest place in the Valley is probably GFS on W. College Ave.  They have all sorts of spats and cooking supplies that will work very well with the Blackstone.  Where do you plan on purchasing the Blackstone, Fleet Farm or online??
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • Chris8938
    Options
    By the way, if you use Groupon, the 28" Blackstone is selling for $159.99.

Appleton, WI 
  • Stoogie
    Options
    @Chris8938 Thanks for the GFS tip, I'll check them out!  I haven't been to Fleet Farm to look at them, but Lowes in Buchanan has the 36" for $299.99.  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Chris8938
    Options
    @Stoogie, that is the same price as Fleet Farm's website.  Amazon has it for $268.

Appleton, WI 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Got mine last year from Target.com.  It was on sale like $239 then if you use the red card you get an extra 5% off that.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    This was my cook last night on Blackstone,   potatoes, pork tenderloin, shrimp, and talipia. Get the 36" griddle, you will not regret it.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I got the 36" stainless version for $322.  Frog Supply or something.  That was maybe 7 months ago.
    Options
    I know its the portable but $50 is dang cheap.
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=58255856

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • eggingitup
    eggingitup Posts: 25
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Guys, thank you for all tips and it is greatly appreciated. I am getting it! I think I'm leaning to the 36 inches one because of better performance and space. The given thread about it is so convincing for me and I can't wait to get it. Feel free to share your cook pics on it and I would love to see and learn more about what it can. Thanks! 

Btw, that deal for the portable one for 50 is cheap and I might get this one too for my campings this summer. Thanks for this one, you made me more poorer. 

xfire_ATX said:

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Get it.  You won't look back brother.  The 36".
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • eggingitup
    Options
    bgebrent said:
      B)

I got the 36" stainless version for $322.  Frog Supply or something.  That was maybe 7 months ago.
    Is it worth it to get stainless or the regular one is just fine with just giving a care to it. Performance wise?
  • Stoogie
    Options
    After comparing Cabela's and Amazon, while Cabela's is cheaper for the griddle, they want to charge $36+ for shipping.  I can get it from Amazon for no shipping, so in the end it will be ~$20 less.  

If Cabela's had it for in store pick up, I'd jump on that, but they don't have it available at the 2 Cabela's stores within reasonable driving distance from me.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
      B)

Is it worth it to get stainless or the regular one is just fine with just giving a care to it. Performance wise?
    I know @DoubleEgger had real issues with the SS griddle.  Haven't heard complaints on the standard. I have the standard and love it.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
      B)

I know @DoubleEgger had real issues with the SS griddle.  Haven't heard complaints on the standard. I have the standard and love it.
    It is the same cooking surface on both. The stainless is only a different frame. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• eggingitup
    Options
     Think I'll stick to the standard one. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
      B)

It is the same cooking surface on both. The stainless is only a different frame. 
    Michael had a big problem with the SS skirt warping.  Problem has likely been fixed.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
      B)

Michael had a big problem with the SS skirt warping.  Problem has likely been fixed.
    I would recommend going with the standard unit. I'll just leave it at that. 
  • eggingitup
    Options
    I'm going to and smash burgers will be the first dinner on it. 
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Guys, thank you for all tips and it is greatly appreciated. I am getting it! I think I'm leaning to the 36 inches one because of better performance and space. 

Better performance?
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • eggingitup
    Options
    More burners making it even more versatile.
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    I'm also seriously considering a Blackstone.  Just have to figure out how to get rid of the stainless steel gasser that is taking up the spot where the Blackstone will go...hate everyone on the forum for spending my money!   :)
    ..possibly pick up a flat surface..plop it on the gasser..and paint "Blackstone" next to the gas knob?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    A buddy of mine kept raving about blackstone and how useful it is to me. I only have a large bge and always wanted more like a nice weber gas grill for the quick cooks (hot dogs, an example) where you can just walk to it and turn it on. The friend say I should invest in blackstone to go with big green egg so I decided to ask you guys to see if it is worth it to get it. I'll appreciate all of the given information because there is nothing better than this forum with all knowledge you guys have.

1. I live in a family of nine people and is it worth it to get 28 inch or I should go for 36 inch, why?
    5. Show me your pics of your cooks on it and what is the best food to cook on it?
    1 - 36".  More the better.  We're a family of three.  

2 - I have two large spatulas and a scraper.  

http://www.amazon.com/Scraper-Teppanyaki-Stainless-Straight-Commercial/dp/B00X2OXS9G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Update-International-Extra-Large-Stainless-Commercial/dp/B000K8ATL2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

That's about all I use.  Maybe some water bottles.  You can go all out and get pancake dispensers, butter roller, etc if you want.  

3 - I probably do a piss poor job at that.  Most times, I shut it down and forget to go back and clean it.  So, I usually clean before I clean or another day.  Some water on the hot surface, scrape, use paper towels, then dry the surface, and apply a small amount of oil.  

4 - Green onion treatment, flax seed oil, about three coats and enjoy.  I really need to strip mine and re-do it.  I have some places where my season is gone.  

5 - See below.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • eggingitup
    Options

1 - 36".  More the better.  We're a family of three.  

2 - I have two large spatulas and a scraper.  

http://www.amazon.com/Scraper-Teppanyaki-Stainless-Straight-Commercial/dp/B00X2OXS9G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Update-International-Extra-Large-Stainless-Commercial/dp/B000K8ATL2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

That's about all I use.  Maybe some water bottles.  You can go all out and get pancake dispensers, butter roller, etc if you want.  

3 - I probably do a piss poor job at that.  Most times, I shut it down and forget to go back and clean it.  So, I usually clean before I clean or another day.  Some water on the hot surface, scrape, use paper towels, then dry the surface, and apply a small amount of oil.  

4 - Green onion treatment, flax seed oil, about three coats and enjoy.  I really need to strip mine and re-do it.  I have some places where my season is gone.  

5 - See below.  

Appreciate the info and the pictures had me drooling. I can't wait to get it after ordering it yesterday from amazon. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'd provide pictures as well, but after Matt's pics, I'd just look like the kid eating crayons. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.