Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tortillas on the pizza stone -- really good

Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Start with fresh tortilla mix -- I use Maseca. Follow the mixing instructions on the package. Roll the dough into little balls about the size of Ping Pong balls. You'll need a press -- they are very inexpensive at a Mexcian grocery store. Line the press with a plastic bag, like a Ziploc, so the dough does not stick to the press.[p]Get your Egg up to 500 with the stone on it. Slap the tortillas on the stone for 30 seconds on the first side, then flip for another minute, then flip back for 30 more seconds. Store the tortillas in a sytrofoam tortilla holder, also available at the Mexican grocery store.[p]Best tortillas I ever had in the States. [I have had stone-cooked hand made tortillas in Mexico that were just as good.][p]When you are done, CAREFULLY lift off the stone [use two oven mitts, double thick] and cook your carne asada for your soft tacos.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Prof Dan,
    Never really thought much about making my own tortillas but you make it sound so good I just may try it.[p]Spring "Tortilla Roller" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Spring Chicken,
    Costco sells bake them yourself tortillas in the refrigerated section. They are really good and would cook nicely on a stone. I've always done them in a frying pan. -RP

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Prof Dan,
    ¡No hay nada como tortillas recen hechas!
    Nothing like fresh tortillas![p]If you have time, I have found it helps to let the masa rest for about 30 minutes after mixing -- it gives the corn time to fully absorb the water. You do not want too much water, but if the edges of the tortillas are not smooth after pressing, you probably need to add a little. A perfect tortilla will suddenly puff in the center to signal it is done. They get that all the time at my favorite taco stand, but I rarely get it. The experts at my taco stand flip the tortillas every 10-15 seconds and pat them on top with the spatula -- I guess to assist in the separation of the layers. Some places, they flip them with their fingers, but they are way tougher than I am. LOL[p]You can also take the raw tortilla and spread cheese over half, fold it over and seal the edges and then fry in hot oil. These make the best quesadillas you have ever tasted.