Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook and travel with meat

Hi,

I have to slow cook some ribs this Friday and wrap them and drive almost three hours before we can eat them with friends.  

Would anyone suggest slightly under cooking the ribs and then finishing them in an oven to the correct temp upon arrival?

OR what would you suggest for this trip?

Thanks
Greenville, South Carolina - One LGE
Warm Grill and Cold Beer

Comments

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    If you wrap the ribs in foil and put them in an ice chest, they'll stay hot for four hours.  I've used this method for ribs, brisket and pork butt many times.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    I agree with the razor back.
    good luck, don't eat to many on the way.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    FTC stands for foil, towel, cooler. For maximum heat retention, double wrap the ribs in HD foil, wrap in towels , and put in cooler.

Fill the empty space in the cooler with more towels or even newspaper. You may want to cook the ribs just slightly less than usual as they may continue to cook a bit when you stick them in the cooler.

Also, rest them for maybe 30 mins before wrapping and placing in the cooler or else they will definitely continue to cook in the cooler. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Pignpoke
    Pignpoke Posts: 11
    Thanks for the feedback and tips. I am happy I can just cook, wrap and serve. 
    Greenville, South Carolina - One LGE
    Warm Grill and Cold Beer
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    I stuff the cooler with more towels to eliminate any air space.  I also throw all the towels in the clothes dryer to heat them up before stuffing them in the cooler.  Last time I travelled with a brisket it stayed hot for almost 8 hours.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Use the smallest chest that will work

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fill the ice chest with boiling water. Wait five minutes then as fast as you safely can pour out the water THEN fill the ice chest with hot towels with the foiled ribs positioned in the bottom, don't just foil with one wrap. Wrap with several layers so the ribs are completely sealed. The food will stay hot for many hours. Heat the towels in the clothes dryer. Cook the ribs until done but definitely don't under cook them. Under cooked meat is a bacteria factory. By the time you serve them they will perfect.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    if you have a decent cooler, you can skip the towels.  and even better is a smaller cooler. for butts, i have used a six-pack sized cooler and just tossed the butt in it wrapped in foil.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    when ive had them served at events they come out of the cooler and tossed and flipped on a hot grill to crisp and firm them up a bit, do they have a gasser, a broiler would work too. ive seen famous daves pull them from a cooler, onto the hot grill and baste and toss with a thinned out sugar type sauce to get some charring going on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    The title, "cook and travel with meat" had me thinking of a BGE secured in the bed of a pickup, smoke coming out the chimney, with dinner cooking inside. Make sure the thermometer is facing the cab, right?

You'll have to stop to foil those ribs, but they'll be perfect upon arrival....

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Coolers are a great way.  If you foresee that this might be a regular event, I'd suggest getting a Cambro box that is designed to keep food for the foodservice industry.

I scored one off a guy that was selling his catering business; got the front-loading one for $80.  You can find them on craigslist on a regular basis.  Plus, if you can get your hands on full catering-style pans, they slide in very easily and can hold multiple pans.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!