Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking 4 butts total 38 pounds - A few questions please

Options
I just lit the XL egg and plan to cook 4 butts.  I am having 30 fellow cancer fighters here for the next 5 days and the butts will be for tomorrow night.

I think that they will all fit on the grate over the plate setter and know to foil any areas that may hang over.  The question is if there is too much hang over should I put in the raised rack also or just foil the overhang.  I would put them two and two on the racks.

They are all within a lb or two of each other and I have one meat probe with the Maverick 733, should I put it in the smallest and go from there?

Lastly I forgot from the last time, fat cap up or down?

I appreciate your indulging me with the questions?  I am currently on some cancer drugs that affect short term memory and just don't want to take the time to look through all of the other butt posts.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it,

Sonny
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If it were me and the second tier is easy, that's what I'd do. You can pile them up on each other, but it may extend the cook. 

Pirbe be the smallest, but when it starts to get close, check them all because their all different. 

Macao up/down doesn't matter to me. I usually go cap down so I only lose fat when it sticks. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options

Personally I would shield all the perimeter area, both the vertical and horizontal with some heavy foil -not wrap, just shield with an L piece

Peace be with you and your Battle 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    you can get four butts on a large, let alone an XL.

put them together in the middle over the platesetter. whatever foil drip tray you have under them is enough to shield them.  even touching it won't really extend cook time.  butts of the same size can vary an hour each easily, so there's no way of knowing when they would have been done anyway. 

even crammed together it doesn't extend the cook time an appreciable amount
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thank you all for your speedy responses.  I managed to get the all on the lower rack with no hangover. I just raised a couple to kind of tent/pyramid them a little.

You guys are the best and thanks again for taking the time to answer the questions that have been asked a thousand times.

As a side note I put some chunks of peach and cherry in the coals and damn it smells good.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Love the way peach smells
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    @theyolksonyou, hell yeah it smells good.  I didn't know if it was the peach or cherry, but everyone here is going nuts over the good smells coming out of the egg.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    You think they are going nuts over the smell, wait till they taste it ;) All the best.
    Large, small, and a mini