Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spareribs or Babybacks?

Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was doing a little planning for a future cook for about 20 guests and stopped by Sams to look for ribs.[p]They had some nice looking Baby-backs as well as some nice looking spareribs.[p]The spareribs were about 1/2 the price of the babybacks. [p]I have cooked spareribs on the egg and they turned out very good, but given the difference in price, I am wondering if babybacks are a lot better.[p]I would appreciate it if someone smarter than I am would tell me. (smile)[p]Any comments will be appreciated.

Comments

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Kyle,
    I might get raked over the coals for this one but, spareribs give you more bang for the buck. Personally, I like spareribs. When I do ribs, I want some meat. lol
    and the Egg will surely do the job.[p]Chef Jerry

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Jwirlwind,
    No reason for raking, I'd take spares any day over BBs. -RP

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    1f1724ff.jpg
    <p />Kyle,[p]Maybe half the price, but twice the value.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Kyle,[p]Did both this past weekend and the baby backs were prefered by far. They are more expensive but the racks we got from Sams were very meaty!
  • AZRP,
    i've heard that all true barbeque guys (and competition teams) go with spare-ribs.

• EGGlomaniac,[p]Competition teams cut spares into a St Louis (style) cut...meatier and taste better than babybacks.[p]Dennis
    Big Green Eggs & Ham Competition Cook Team

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    thirdeye,
    Those are great looking ribs, love the color.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Just bought a rack of spare ribs from BJs. If you're not in competition is there any reason to trim them St. Louis style, or can I just cook them as they are (after removing the silverskin, or whatever it's called)?

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    ED,[p]The full slab will cook up just fine. It will take just a little longer than if you trim it down to a rack and cook the trim separate. [p]Trimming will give you an end product that is easier to eat since you have eliminated the smaller irregular bones on the large end. Plus you can snack on the trim during the cook or save it for a pot of beans.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ED,
    BJ's sells very good quality meats. You are absolutley right, if it's not being judged, why bother? Enjoy it as it is, but remove the membrane first, before cooking....

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    ED,
    if you leaver them whole, cook them verticle with the fat side up, better for self basting

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokinBoB,
    I did a couple of slabs of BBs a few weeks ago and they were the best I've ever done. But I love the spareribs too, because the fat gives so much flavor. This time... by George... I'm doing both. The previous writer had it correct saying Sams has good ribs and the SRs are less than half the price of BBs. I am going to try to do the SRs above the BBs and let the fat drip down to the BBs. Wish me Luck! [p]PS I finished off my last batch with some right out of the bottle A-1 Jamacan Jerk Sauce/Marinade. Anyone else tried this? IMHO it's not too bad. [p]Carolina Wiz