Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Ceramic? Guesses?

Options

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I am trying not be biased against a non-ceramic product, but wow - its hard to look at that kettle and description and feel all warm and fuzzy - and the price is out of sight. 
    New Orleans LA
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
     Air insulation IMO seems like it wouldn't retain heat nearly as good as ceramics do. I still can't get over that price tag. What happened to no chemicals or gases? I couldn't imagine an egg having a contraption like that on the side. Or it blows if you leave it unattended on a high heat cook. :o
    Austin, Tx
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Its nice but not $1500 nice. Maybe $500-700 nice? I doubt BGE or Kamado Joe is too worried about it for competition either.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    Upon further review, I am a bit surprised that the buffalo hasn't been along to take care of this thread.  Perhaps BGE is in agreement with @Jeremiah and it is better to just let this thread run its course than to respond like it matters.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Lost interest at "air acting as an insulater" or whatever the claim is....
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Move along. Nothing to see here.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I think this will help sell eggs in Canada...

Here is the popular BBQ Store price - $2499 CDN

http://www.bbqs.com/all-products/bbq-s-charcoal/summit-charcoal-grilling-center.html

Can you say Ka-Ching! 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• dougcrann
    Options
    Chug chug chug......dude...your not supposed to drink the bong water....
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^IS THAT VIN DIESEL MAKING FOOD?  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

the bottom half isn't insulated at all.  I bet it does low and slow easier than a regular kettle but not as well as a kamado. 

if I were looking for a charcoal grill I might spend $300 for this vs $150 for a regular weber kettle... but certainly not $1500.  Or $600 for the cart and all the accessories similar to a performer setup.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Whoa!  That price is outrageous. Honestly, if the pricing was reasonable, I'd probably buy one.  But $1500???  Yikes.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks like the hinged grid gourmet bbq system will fit a xl egg. 452 square inches of cooking space. May purchase that part and use it in my egg.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

the damper on top is 'rapid-fire' so that's got to be worth something.  must save a bunch of time when adjusting the top airflow.  I see the their indirect piece is also double-walled, um, I mean air-insulated metal.

I guess on the plus side, if you overshoot on temp, this should come down much more quickly since it's not a heat sink, but that probably means it doesn't hold temp as steadily, probably oscillates a bunch more in windy and rainy conditions which shouldn't matter as long as it's not too wide of swings.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    mgd_egg said:
    Ftfu =)
    Screw the new Summit, I want that blue bullet in the background.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I'm looking at this thing and I'm just not understanding what they did here.  The only thing this grill has that my egg does not is the gas assist.  Other than that I think this thing is disappointing in just about every way.  I'm a huge Weber fan - I've owned probably 6 Genesis grills, 4 WSM's, and 5 Performers but I just can't see this thing doing well. 

The side table is atrocious IMO for a "Summit" level grill.  And there's just no innovation there.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Focker said:
    mgd_egg said:
    Ftfu =)
    Screw the new Summit, I want that blue bullet in the background.
    That's what I'm talking about.  Would love to see some color options on the WSM's.  Wonder if that was a one off for testing or if they had it powder coated.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    I like it. Not $1,500 like, but like it.

I think BGE has a couple of things to learn from this Weber that can apply to improve the egg...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    blind99 said:

the bottom half isn't insulated at all.  I bet it does low and slow easier than a regular kettle but not as well as a kamado. 

if I were looking for a charcoal grill I might spend $300 for this vs $150 for a regular weber kettle... but certainly not $1500.  Or $600 for the cart and all the accessories similar to a performer setup.

The bottom half does have an inner and outer shell. From the AmazingRibs review:

"Summit's outer body is Weber's signature black porcelain-enameled coated steel that has proven it's durability for more than 60 years. The lining of the lower bowl is also black porcelain-enameled steel. It terminates, open-ended, at the lower coal grate position allowing hot air to be trapped between the outer and inner walls. "
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dougcrann
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Air is an excellent insulator due it its poor conduction properties. This is why mammals have hair on their skin and windows have air gaps between panes. Poor energy transfer = heat retention.

It's not a claim, it's thermodynamics.

Don't get me wrong, this item will vastly overpriced at 1500 dollars.
    Not denying that air acts as an insulator...I built a door on my Reverse Flow. Built it like it was going to be insulated but only tacked the outer layer on so I could perform an experiment. With just,air between the 2 layers of .250" plate outer layer was to warm to touch bare handed. With 3" of Rockwood  (?) Can lean on it...
    Have never been a big believer in "theory"....more interested in "real world" experiences...no disrespect meant to any of you needy scientific types....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Air is an excellent insulator due it its poor conduction properties. This is why mammals have hair on their skin and windows have air gaps between panes. Poor energy transfer = heat retention.

I'd have to look it up to be sure but I believe that an inch of dead air has about the same R value as an inch of ceramics.

Regardless, this new Weber should absolutely be way easier to keep steady temps in cold, rainy. windy weather than a plain kettle.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Airspace is only insulation until it is not sealed right?  I.E. Vacuum sealed.
  • willymcnilly
    Options
    The biggest question is - will this air insulated unit be stable while I go away for the day with my family?  Will it be able to handle 7 hours of smoking during freezing cold winter blizzards like my BGE?  When I lift the lid to check on the meat, how much tinkering will it need to come back to stability?  When there is no heat sink I think it will fluctuate all over the place after lifting the lid. 

Makes more sense to buy a BGE and several Weber kettles and still be under this price.  Just sheer madness that price point.  I expected about $750 Canadian for what I see here.  Plus the igniter is completely unnecessary.
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    dougcrann said:

It's a good insulator if it's not moving, but the design on this is open so air can flow up into the shell (at lest according to Amazing Ribs vid).  Once the convection flow starts, it's going to move heat pretty well.  The video claims this reflects heat back in, but thermodynamics tells me it's also going to reflect out, as wasted energy.  Maybe it's a great marketing pitch from them, but a silly design IMHO.  Maybe a vacuum insulation will be next.  We can watch them crumple during their first sear.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    dougcrann said:

Not denying that air acts as an insulator...I built a door on my Reverse Flow. Built it like it was going to be insulated but only tacked the outer layer on so I could perform an experiment. With just,air between the 2 layers of .250" plate outer layer was to warm to touch bare handed. With 3" of Rockwood  (?) Can lean on it...
    Have never been a big believer in "theory"....more interested in "real world" experiences...no disrespect meant to any of you needy scientific types....
    It is the Radiant Heat you were feeling, if had a  Low Emittance ( shiny ) surface in between the plates you would have noticed less heat, otherwise Air Alone in your case is around  R 0.16..I imagine the Weber has the Radiant Barrier
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2016
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    dougcrann said:

Thermodynamics aren't a theory. They are 4 laws that explain "real world" experiences, of which I gave you two. Animals fluff their fur/hair in cold temps to hold onto air and therefore, retain heat. Windows that are double glazed are much more efficient than single pane. You even gave an example of "real world" experience with the experiment you mentioned. Nothing needy about that! Saying "whatever that claim is" is a tacit denial by discounting what they are saying, even though you then proved the claim by discussing your experiment. Logic is hard!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Excerpt from a Canadian news article.

The Summit Charcoal Grill combines three of the best grilling features found in the original Weber Kettle, the innovative Performer grill and the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, in one-multi-functional, ultimate charcoal grill. Available in black, the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill is available at select Canadian stores and is priced at $1,999.99 (MSRP).

Consumers will have the option to upgrade to the Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Centre which includes all of the features found on the Summit Charcoal Grill listed below plus a stainless steel tabletop and wire storage basket, diffuser plate storage area, and Char-bin storage container that holds up to 20 lbs. of charcoal (MSRP $2,499.99).