Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ vs Flame Boss 200

Options
I'm sure the majority of you veteran forum members are really sick of this question....I apologize in advance.

I've been considering either a CyberQ or Flame Boss 200 for some time.  After researching the pros and cons through this forum, I had decided on the Flame Boss 200 because the FB simply sounded more user friendly.  

However, now I'm reconsidering it based on this Pit Pal BBQ app.  First of all, who doesn't love a good iPhone app.  Secondly, it seems to me that the app now allows you to monitor and control the temps even when you don't have wifi connectivity (through your cell service to your phone).  Do I have that right?

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.
A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    With the FB, you can monitor and control your cook with any device that can access the Internet through a web browser- phone , tablet , or desktop computer. I've monitored and adjusted temps, etc from work on the weekends without any problem. 

Pm @stlcharcoal and he may let you login to his FB and play around with it. Only if you're nice though. He also sells them. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    caliking said:
    With the FB, you can monitor and control your cook with any device that can access the Internet through a web browser- phone , tablet , or desktop computer. I've monitored and adjusted temps, etc from work on the weekends without any problem. 

Pm @stlcharcoal and he may let you login to his FB and play around with it. Only if you're nice though. He also sells them. 
    Thank you for the info!

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I love my CyberQ! That is all, most other things have been covered in many other posts
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    I am in same boat as you and am buying one this season and it will be a FB200. 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    With Flame boss, are you dependent on their servers being available?
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    With Flame boss, are you dependent on their servers being available?

I've never had any issues logging on, and I've never heard anyone saying that they couldn't access their cooks. Even if you lose web access, you can still control the cook right from the unit.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Jwork328
    Jwork328 Posts: 66
    Options
    I have the cyber q and love it very user friendly and to me like the fan better
  • Sweet100s
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thank you @SmokingPiney

Do you know if FlameBoss would work on a 802.11n - only WiFi network? 
    I was surprised to read in the manual that the CyberQ needs 802.11g.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    N should be backwards compatible with anything prior including G
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Flameboss 200 needs internet access and the FB servers to broadcast your cook and manage remotely.  If either go down, it still keeps doing it's job and you monitor and manage it from the control head like you would with a Flameboss 100 (non Wi-Fi)   In the last nine months of the 200 on the market there has been one server outage for a few hours that I remember......it's not common and only an inconvenience if you happen to be cooking, gone, AND needing to manage remotely.  Otherwise, all the limits, alarms, ramp downs, etc all still work--you just don't get the text message when it happens.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Thank you @SmokingPiney

Do you know if FlameBoss would work on a 802.11n - only WiFi network? 
    I was surprised to read in the manual that the CyberQ needs 802.11g.

Yes, works on N only network.  That is how mine is currently running.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    poster said:
    N should be backwards compatible with anything prior including G
    Right. And there is no real harm with a device like these running 802.11g as these are not exactly high bandwidth consuming devices. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Can you mix an existing bbq guru fan with the FB200?  It sounds like the FB is easier to connect with,  has better quality probes  (though only 2 instead of cyberq's 3),  but the fan isn't as quality as the guru bc it doesn't have a damper. Is that right? 

I'm in the same boat trying to choose between the 2...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Can you mix an existing bbq guru fan with the FB200?  It sounds like the FB is easier to connect with,  has better quality probes  (though only 2 instead of cyberq's 3),  but the fan isn't as quality as the guru bc it doesn't have a damper. Is that right? 

I'm in the same boat trying to choose between the 2...

You can, but the algorithm is not written for the larger guru fan, plus the use of the damper can screw with the logic as you cannot tell the fb200 you are dampering it.  The stock fan works great.  If the guru fan was better, they would sell it with that or make a similar setup.
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I love my original FB, but I wish I had waited to pull the trigger now that the 200 is out. I would really like to be able to remotely manage my cooks.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    @stlcharcoal set me up and my new FB200 is on the way.  I'll let everyone know my thoughts, but I can tell you that if you are considering one @stlcharcoal is the man to talk to.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Is the 200 easier to set up remote monitoring than the flipping Stoker? 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I can't speak for a Stoker, but the FB is super easy: enter your WiFi name and password into the controller, log onto the FB website with your phone, etc, and you're there.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I can't speak for a Stoker, but the FB is super easy: enter your WiFi name and password into the controller, log onto the FB website with your phone, etc, and you're there.

@SmokingPiney That's how it should be...if you are not Tech Savy, Stoker is extremely difficult...I wound up having a IT guy we use @ work, come and set my Stoker up. Worked great for a while until something in my IP changed, have never got it working again, even with a call to Rocks with my IT guy there.

I may order that 200 and toss my Stoker which is nothing more than a DigiQ for me now since I can't monitor CRAP

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I am not sure I understand your second question.  The CyberQ has to have a connection to your home internet in order for the Pit Pal app. to receive the data.  After that you can monitor and adjust on your iPhone with the app, or any browser able to pull up a website, pc, mac, tablet or phone...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Sweet100s
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Flameboss 200 needs internet access and the FB servers to broadcast your cook and manage remotely.

What worries me about that (needing FlameBoss servers and tech for remote management) is something like this happening:
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing/226020-nest-to-permanently-brick-revolv-smart-home-devices
    if (when) the company that owns FlameBoss sells itself to another.

I'd bet the people who purchased Revolv devices didn't think they had to be concerned with that scenario.    With FlameBoss, I realize I could still go to the device and manage it from there.  So it wouldn't be completely "bricked". 

My perception (I do not own one - but the sale has me thinking twice about it - ) is that

IF the company who owns Cyber Q is sold I could still manage a cook from my WiFi network / a browser / an app. i.e.,
    My device would keep all the capabilities that I originally purchased.
     (Maybe support and warranty work could be better or worse after the transition.)
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Flameboss is owned by Flameboss......two brothers.  Great guys.  Their product/brand would be worthless if they screwed a bunch of every past customer over like you suggest.  I dont see it happening.  Whereas you're leaning toward another company that just DID screw over hundreds of their dealers last month at the beginning of the BBQ season.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What @stlcharcoal is hinting at is CyberQ started selling direct and has severed all dealership ties.  My understanding is this was short notice too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin