Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can chicken advice...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i cooked my first beer can chicken last night, and although it was really juicy and absolutly delicious, the skin wasn't crispy at all. [p]i cooked it direct at about 325 to 350 degrees for about an hour and 10 minutes. it was placed on one of those vertical chicken roasters, and not on an actual can of beer. [p]was the temp too low? should i have done it indirect at a different temp for a longer period of time? should i have actually used a beer can half-filled with beer???

Comments

• George,
    i do a lot of beer can chickens, and it can be tough (with the steam and all) to get the skin crispy...couple of things you can do. . ..[p]1. rub the bird with som olive oil first (or rub with butter)
    2. for the last 10 - 15 minutes of your cook, let the temps run up to 400 - 425 degrees....[p]these things should help .. .frankly, i don't worry too much about the skin as i'm more interested in the juiciness/flavor of the meat itself. ...keep trying though and see if you can't get the results you want. . .[p]my family loves beer can chicken . . .tsunami spin beer can chicken is our favorite, and leftovers makes for great chicken salad ...also, you can mix it up by putting something like white wine in the can instead of beer. . .[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]thanks for the advice. i did rub it down with olive oil, and dusted it with my own spice blend. i did not, unfortunately, think to ramp up the temps to 425+ for the last 15 minutes or so. i'll try it that way, and definately try it with a can next time too...[p]thanks again!
  • Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    George,[p]I cook a lot of these as it is one of my favorites. I just run the temps higher as if I were roasting in my oven. 400-425 is the target for me, and it turns out wonderfully moist chicken with nice crispy skin. A pre-rub with either olive oil or butter (my mom used to do this thanks to Julia Child!) will ensure extra crispiness.[p]Rich
  • Rich G,[p]thanks Rich. do you cook it direct or indirect at that temp?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    George,
    After washing your chicken and patting it dry, place it back in the refrigerator on a plate to Air dry for a few hours to over night if you plan ahead, then like others have said rub with olive oil or butter, that should help the skin to crisp up.[p]Keep on Egg-en,
    Bordello

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    George,[p]Usually indirect.[p]R