Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Ranch" style beans?

Options
SirKeats
SirKeats Posts: 159
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't much care for "Baked" beans. Too sweet. I do however loves these beans that we get in the store all the time (they're in the same section as the baked beans) called "Ranch" style. They're not nearly as sweet (not really sweet at all actually) and have a great mildly zesty kind of flavor to them. Hard to describe (cuz I'm not good at food flavor descriptions) but they're quite tasty.[p]Anyone know what I'm talking about? If so... do you know of any recipes so I could try making them myself?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    SirKeats,
    I get those and doctor them up with things like pork sausage, chiles, onion, etc. Baked beans are too sweet for my taste. -RP

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    1220e905.gif
    <p />SirKeats,[p]You mean these? They are one of the few canned beans I like. I jazz them up and reduce using beer. Click the link, I have a cookin' page about them. (there are links to other bean recipes on the homepage)[p]~thirdeye~
    [ul][li]Ranch Style Beans[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    SirKeats,
    theres a huge difference between canned and homemade baked beans, the only baked bean from a can i can tolerate is B&M from maine and even those are bad compared to homemade. boston baked beans dont need to be sweet, but i do like to taste some molasis in them. as for ranch style they are relativly easy, a can of chefs cut tomatoes and a pound of hamburger heated together slowly so that the burger almost dissolves, add a chopped onion, basil, oregano (when adding oregano and basil add to the top til the tomato color dissapears) some garlic powder worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and bbq sauce too taste. add to fully softened beans that have been soaked for 24 hours and then simmered an hour. add water to the top and some salt pork and bake for about 8 or more hours inderect at 250 inderect. i made something similar last week without the bbq sauce and they came out great. i also add some geen peppers in the pot of beans. i like a mixture of beans like yellow eye, kidney and red and stay away from the flavorless types like pinto

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sirtom
    Sirtom Posts: 15
    Options
    fishlessman,
    what do you mean when you say....when adding oregano and basil add to the top til the tomato color dissapears?? can you elaborate? thanks

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    sirtom,
    in a pot add the tomatoes and hamburger and some cold water and simmer til its broken down and cooked. then shake the basil and oregano on til you have a layer thick enough not to see the tomato any more.no need to measure. saw this on an italian sauce recipe posted a while back and it works well enough for me.lean heavier on the basil than the oregano

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sirtom
    Sirtom Posts: 15
    Options
    fishlessman,
    thank you buddy....now I understand...