Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone Griddle or Turkey Fryer?

Options
Subject says it all. I know the Fryer is cheaper but want to maximize my outdoor cooking potential over the summer months. Currently I use the Egg to do both. With the appropriate cast iron pans and woks and such I know both are possible. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Not knowing your stove or what you'd be buying them for I'd say a fryer is more difficult to replicate. It's nice to be able to bring a gallon of water to boil for pasta or deep fry a few dozen wings outside without stinking/heating up the house. Just ask my wife.  I also can some, so I needed heat for a while during the summer. This is what I went with :)

http://www.campchef.com/stoves/explorer-two-burner-stove.html
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@Scottborasjr   My vote, 

Hands down BS.  I still use mine an average of 7 times per week.  Sometimes I miss a day, but some days I use it twice.

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    have had a turkey fryer/smoker for more than 30 years, used it alot before the egg, dont use it as a fryer or smoker now at all but do use the burner for boils and steaming lobster and would use it for beer making if i got back into it. i did buy the small 17 inch blackstone and have used it several times this winter and will use it this summer. i found the fryer to be a pain straining oil and then not using it enough, but the burner is essential when cooking a pile of lobster
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I use my BS more than the Egg most weeks..... <span>:fearful:</span>
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    For some reason, I thought you had one already? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Blackstone is a daily driver. Fryer IS a few times a month at best. Probably like a few times a year user.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I bought my Blackstone thinking I would use it every once in a while.  Turns out that it is only once in a while that I DON'T use it.  I cook on my Blackstone at least five times a week.  I use my turkey fryer a couple of times per year.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

That is a difficult question to answer for me. I have both a 36" BS and a 4gal R and V Cajun Deep Fryer (Not a burner and a pot). We use the BS quite a bit. But there are times we use the Deep Fryer a lot. It is so easy to use. Light it, wait for it to get to 335-350 and minutes later you grub is done! All though it does take a little effort to maintain it, but so does the BS.

There is something about having deep fried corn on the cob and chicken fried steak that is hard to replicate on anything else. Then there is chicken fried bacon. A plate of Rippers, Fried Bologna Cubes with and Habanero Mustard, Deep Fried Bourbon Shooters, home made cream corn hush puppies and my favorite is Chicken Fried Pork Cakes!

I would look at this not as either this one or that one but this one first then that one next!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't know much about them, but it appears that the camp chef setups might give you more versatility to do both.  I really love my blackstone, but it does take up a lot of room.  I am assuming that one of the camp chef 2-3 burner stoves would also make a good turkey fryer (just add a pot).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I have both, rarely use the Turkey Fryer anymore...use the griddle multiple times during the week
  • fishlessman
    Options
    anybody use the blackstone indoors, the 17 is perfect countertop. they say not too but thats where  mine has been sitting, just removing the bottle and setting it outdoors when not in use =)
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    anybody use the blackstone indoors, the 17 is perfect countertop. they say not too but thats where  mine has been sitting, just removing the bottle and setting it outdoors when not in use =)

Have considered this too, it's LP.  LP is used alot out here for the rural homes.  I too remove the Coleman tank and put indoors.  

LP is heavier tha NG, poses more of an explosive risk, not sure how much of a factor that would be with a small Coleman tank and proper range hood ventilation.

Why don't you give it a try and report back?J/K

Had a carbon minoxide scare at my house last year with NG.

When the gas company came out the next day we checked everything.  Never realized how much ppms are given off with a burner on low or an oven or vehicle startup.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    NG has less BTU than propane, otherwise they both burn clean if your burner has the correct amount of air.  Equipment is designed for Methane (NG), propane or butane.  The air to fuel ratio is different in these three gasses (where it matters) and the regulator, pressure, fuel frits and orifices (orfi?) are different.

That said, they all burn clean.  Focker is right - you can have CO in some situations like startup.  Even when running as designed, you get some CO.  Running air lean/fuel rich (reducing) can give you a lot of CO.  I wouldn't recommend using any gas source indoors unless you are well ventilated and unless you have a CO detector.
    Options
    I have used my 17" Blackstone indoors with no problems.  I set it on my stove top right under the exhaust hood.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I say get the Blackstone Grill.  You won't be sorry.

Spring "Not To Worry.  My Blackstone Is Ready" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• fishlessman
    Options
    NG has less BTU than propane, otherwise they both burn clean if your burner has the correct amount of air.  Equipment is designed for Methane (NG), propane or butane.  The air to fuel ratio is different in these three gasses (where it matters) and the regulator, pressure, fuel frits and orifices (orfi?) are different.

That said, they all burn clean.  Focker is right - you can have CO in some situations like startup.  Even when running as designed, you get some CO.  Running air lean/fuel rich (reducing) can give you a lot of CO.  I wouldn't recommend using any gas source indoors unless you are well ventilated and unless you have a CO detector.
    going BOOOOM scares me more, once seen an a framed window shoot a couple hundred yards in a blaze across a good sized river =)
    fukahwee maine

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @tarheelmatt unfortunately no,  I don't have one,  yet..... =)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Get the griddle.  You can put a pot of oil on it and fry turkeys.
    Options
    I don't know much about them, but it appears that the camp chef setups might give you more versatility to do both.  I really love my blackstone, but it does take up a lot of room.  I am assuming that one of the camp chef 2-3 burner stoves would also make a good turkey fryer (just add a pot).  
    Good turkey fryer burners produce a lot more BTUs than a typical camp stove burner.  You could use a Camp Chef for turkey frying, I'm just not sure how good a job it would do.  I have not checked all the Camp Chef products, but I believe that their burners are in the neighborhood of 30k BTU.  I think my jet burner on my turkey fryer is over 150k BTU.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

This is the Cajun Fryer I have.
    You can get the Turkey Basket/Frame.

I believe lot safer and stable than a pot on a burner.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Blackstone in a pinch you could use it to heat oil. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I'd go with the Blackstone even though I don't use mine very much. It can be a pain in the ass to keep clean. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @DoubleEgger what do you use as a cover? I'm in a high humidity summer, spring, an winter area?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Haven't read above.  I have both.  Blackstone gets way more use brother.  Hope that helps.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Amazon is 269 right now. Is that probably the best I'm going to do?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Amazon is 269 right now. Is that probably the best I'm going to do?
    If on Blackstone 36, then pull the trigger.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Bed bath & beyond and Home Depot both carry them (at least they did).  HD priced matched the BB&B 20% off coupon - so I paid $239 + tax.  

Sounds about the same as Amazon.
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Get the stainless version.
    Options
    Get the stainless version.
    Of the Blackstone! ;)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have a Cajun Cooker deep fryer for my Turkeys. It is electric, has a thermostat and timer. It is an easy clean an easy cook and a great cooker. I recommend it. We do fish, onion rings, fries, mushrooms, shrimp, banana peppers, you name it. We also do boils with it.
    thinking about adding a black stone due to a complete kitchen tear down and rebuild.. I should be covered with the ability to cook for my family, having a fryer, two eggs, and a black stone.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky