Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rules of thumb revisited

char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A week BBQfan1 came up with his so-called rules of thumb. I had never heard of most of them. He said stuff like - Rib slabs should be under 3 pounds each. Look for round bones. ETC.[p]Well, I went to my butcher and looked over the ribs in his case. Some had been previously frozen. Some were fresh (these were baby backs). And sure enough there did seem to be some with rounder bones than others.[p]So, I got the round bone ribs and tried them this weekend. [p]And, like a lot of stuff on this forum BBQfan1's idea worked as advertised.[p]So, I have questions. [p]Is the round bone test, just an easy way to select for freshness or something like that?[p]Anybody else ever hear of this round bone thing, and did it work for them?[p]Anybody else got a reason why the round bone thing works - or doesn't work?[p]Oh yeah, the ribs. They were the most tender ribs I've had yet. I did them with the Cat Lady's rub to which I added a lot of ginger. I tried to do them the GFW
way, they were so tender that after I took them out of the foil, the bones were following off and they were done, done, done. And were they good.[p]So, I have reasons to want answers to the round bone question.[p]Signed,
curious dude.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    char buddy ,
    I think the round bone thing is new to most of us, but would also be curious as to the hard facts here....the why's. Answers, Buddy....answers.[p]I think someone might need to do a side-by-side comparison though. I will volunteer if I can find some round-bone ribs. I'll start lookin! [p]See you in April i hope.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]My son and I are already planning for the big April do. I'm thinking of doing a butterflied chicken. Then again, I might have to do round bone ribs.[p]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    char buddy , Believe I mentioned in that original post that the source of the 'round rib bone' rule of thumb was a webcast shown on the BBQTV site, which I linked up to from the SmokeRing webring. The guy just said to look for ribs with round bones, and that, like yourself, sometimes you gotta look through a number of slabs to find what you're after. He never did elaborate on the reasoning behind this. My thinking would be that a round bone could possibly translate to a younger, more tender piggy, as a growing/grown hog would develop stronger, i.e. elongated bone structure. Either that, or the guy was playing a practical joke on us all, getting us sifting through rack upon rack of ribs in search of the elusive 'round bone rib'!
    As a rule of thumb: 'Cheers!'
    BBQfan1

• BBQfan1,[p]Well, I gave it a try and the first time out it worked. Have you tried it? Did it work for you?[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy char buddy ,
    Me again.
    This link talks about bone shape. Scroll down.
    Maybe not exactly the info you are looking for, but good info here nevertheless.
    Come on snow!
    NB

[ul][li]Ribs and bones and such[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Thanks Nature Boy.[p]From that chart it looks like round bone is a synonym for a loin back rib vs a st. louis rib. Who knew? [p]I'm not sure what all this means, but I aim to find out. [p]Our buddy BBQfan1 stumbled onto something useful. [p]Thanks BBQfan1. [p]We're in for snow turning to sleet turning to rain. Sounds like leg of lamb weather
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    char buddy,
    "Our buddy BBQfan1 stumbled onto something useful".
    I'm as shocked and surprised as you are C-B! :)
    Cheers,
    Qf1