Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef on Weck

Options
Dublin Dawg
Dublin Dawg Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever heard of "beef on weck"? It is a beef sandwich served on a "weck" roll. Anyone have a recipe for this? I beleive it is popular in the Buffalo NY area.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    there is a local bar here in northern virginia (grevey's) that serves a beef on a weck. ..like a philly cheese steak, it isn't so much about the meat (basic roast beef), but more about the bread, in this case a "kimmelweck" roll .. .here is a description i found. . .[p]And in fact, it is this roll that makes the sandwich unique. Made only in the Buffalo-Rochester area, the kummelweck—often alternatively spelled kimmelweck—is basically a Kaiser roll topped with lots of pretzel salt and caraway seeds. Inside, very thinly sliced roast beef is piled high, and the whole thing is served with a dish of "au jus" (I suppose it is too much to expect a German sandwich to make sense of French prepositions), for dipping. Alternatively, the cook sometimes dips the top of the roll into the jus just before serving it. In either case, the beef on weck sandwich must be accompanied by a pot of freshly grated, sinus-clearing horseradish.[p]frankly, i find the weck roll to be a bit dry, and it needs the au jus something fierce. ..i'm sure a buffalo native will chime in as well .
    hope this helps. ..

• Unknown
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,[p]Funny you should ask. Just saw this article in the newspaper.

[ul][li]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0606210152jun21,1,6836393.story[/ul]
  • GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    This is a great sandwich!!! I posted about this over a month ago and got few replies. We ate some in North Tonawanda NY; I normally don't like roast beef, but these were delicious!! The guys from King Arthur Flour used to have a recipe for it in their catalogue.....I think one of their staff members knows how to make it....it's normally a tender slow cooked roast beef with lots of juice. At home one time, I made a sandwich similiar to it bu using a kaiser roll, and sticking caraway seed and kosher salt to the top using a corn starch mixture; I used deli thin sliced roast beef with au jus sauce I made up....

• GenesGrill
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    see link.............

[ul][li]kummelweck rolls recipe.......[/ul]
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    buffaloer,
    see link............

[ul][li]Beef on weck recipe..................[/ul]
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    I saw a show on the food network or epicurious about Beef on a weck. The beef was slow cooked at about 225/250 for many hours( 12/16 ). It was liberally rubed with S&P and garlic salt. It was a huge chunk of beef using both the bottom and top round. I don't know what that whole piece of meat would be called. It was sliced thin and dunked in and au jus and put on those kimmelwick buns. Good luck, Tom

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    fbe40804.jpg
    <p />Dublin Dawg,
    up here we get them on onion rolls, rump roast cooked at 225 works well and take it off when its in the low 120's to cool down and slice. will have to try that weck roll

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it