Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First prime rib

Options
Publix had a sale, $6.99 a lb, been wanting to try one forever. Researched and decided to go reverse sear, egg was 250 at the grid, took exactly 2 hrs to hit 120 for 5.5lb roast, pulled it and let it sit in the house until the temp began to drop, then seared 1 min per side at 550ish. Came out perfect in my mind for my first try. Very simple cook in all reality. Thanks to all those who did I the past and swore by the reverse sear, the meat was perfectly consistent from end to end

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Nailed it. 

Great job!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Looks just great!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Awesome job bro! What kind of gasket do you have on your egg?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • MikeV89
    MikeV89 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    That is a rutland gasket by the looks of it
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    MikeV89 said:
    @Hans61 said:
    That is a rutland gasket by the looks of it
    Yes as Mike said, it's Rutland, 2nd cook since I installed it, contact @RRP If yours is due for replacement, you can't beat the price, tried and true based on all the long time users
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Nice cook. What was in the pan under the roast?
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Yessir...looks awesome!  Love some prime rib!  Got a 20'lbr dry age'n in the fridge now!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Lookin' good! Can't get any better than that.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Love the mushrooms.....nice rear....where is the horseradish....I'm goin in.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Not speaking for the original poster....but mushrooms. Never thought of that approach....but will definitely try it.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Great looking meal.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Looks great!  I picked up a Publix roast as well last week when they were on sale.  I froze mine for a later date.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • feef706
    Options
    Aw juice! I mean Au jus, I just threw some beef stock, mushrooms, minced garlic, worchestire sauce, soy sauce and beer, plenty of beer.

I didn't measure anything out, just kinda threw that part together, nothing but sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder on the roast, tasted great. I can't wait to try it again. Thanks for all the feedback.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That looks delicious, excellent cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    That looks excellent! Does turning the rib rack upside down serve the same purpose as using a raised grate?
  • feef706
    Options
    Powak said:
    That looks excellent! Does turning the rib rack upside down serve the same purpose as using a raised grate?
    I have no clue honestly, I used the raised grate in order to get the pan directly under it. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in..