Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Award-Winning Pork Chops

Options

I received this wonderful Cook Book The Smoking Bacon & Hog Cookbook from my friend Molly Malinowski at YC Media. By Bill Gillespie with Tim O' Keefe. This Cookbook has some great and wonderful recipes some I'll post.

Here are the dry ingredients for the marinade.

Out of the fridge after a overnight Marinade.

Wiped the marinade off and seasoned it with Smokin' Hoggz all-Purpose Rub.
On the Lg. Big Green Egg with Grill Grates @400* for 8 minutes a side.

Now those look doggone good!

Served with baked potato and green beans with bacon. This was truly a wonderful meal, my wife Jackie said you can do this again! I'll do this and more from this wonderful cookbook.

Recipe:
Smokin’ Hoggz All-Purpose Rub

I put this recipe in the first book I wrote, and it is such a good rub recipe that I wanted to include it in this book too. This was one of the first rubs I developed a few years back, and I primarily used it on chicken, pork and seafood, and only during grilling events. Come to find out this rub is great on anything, including veggies! This is a very well-rounded rub with some great flavor, and will definitely bring a little pop to anything you cook.

Makes: 3 cups (384 g)

¼ cup (32 g) ground chipotle powder
¼ cup (50 g) turbinado sugar
¼ cup (32 g) ground ancho chili powder
¼ cup (32 g) paprika
¼ cup (72 g) kosher salt
1 tbsp (8 g) ground cumin
1 tbsp (8 g) onion powder
1 tbsp (2 g) dried thyme
1 tsp (1 g) dried marjoram
1 tsp (3 g) cayenne pepper
2 tbsp (12 g) green peppercorns, crushed
1 tbsp (8 g) ground white pepper
1 tsp (2 g) celery seed or ½ tsp celery seed powder
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Note: You can apply rubs anywhere from 1 hour before cooking the meat to mere moments before the meat hits the grill. As a general rule, you should try to apply a rub 1 hour before you cook.
Recipe:
Smokin’ Hoggz All-Purpose Rub

I put this recipe in the first book I wrote, and it is such a good rub recipe that I 

wanted to include it in this book too. This was one of the first rubs I developed a 

few years back, and I primarily used it on chicken, pork and seafood, and only 

during grilling events. Come to find out this rub is great on anything, including 

veggies! This is a very well-rounded rub with some great flavor, and will definitely 

bring a little pop to anything you cook.

Makes: 3 cups (384 g)

¼ cup (32 g) ground chipotle powder

¼ cup (50 g) turbinado sugar

¼ cup (32 g) ground ancho chili powder

¼ cup (32 g) paprika

¼ cup (72 g) kosher salt

1 tbsp (8 g) ground cumin

1 tbsp (8 g) onion powder

1 tbsp (2 g) dried thyme

1 tsp (1 g) dried marjoram

1 tsp (3 g) cayenne pepper

2 tbsp (12 g) green peppercorns, crushed

1 tbsp (8 g) ground white pepper

1 tsp (2 g) celery seed or ½ tsp celery seed powder

½ tsp ground allspice

½ tsp ground cinnamon

½ tsp ground ginger

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and store in an airtight container for up to 6 

months.

Note: You can apply rubs anywhere from 1 hour before cooking the meat to mere 

moments before the meat hits the grill. As a general rule, you should try to apply 

a rub 1 hour before you cook.

Thanks for lookin!

Ross

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    drooooooooooooll........... sooo good

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Man, and I thought I made some good chops this weekend until I saw this.  Great work and sharing your rub recipe.  Will have to give it a shot.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    That looks fantastic.  The pic of the marinade, in the bag.  What was used for the overnight marinade?  I don't see any liquids in the recipe, unless I'm missing something.  I may try this.... thanks for sharing.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    drooooooooooooll........... sooo good
    Thanks,
    Ross
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options

Man, and I thought I made some good chops this weekend until I saw this.  Great work and sharing your rub recipe.  Will have to give it a shot.
    Thanks, you do that,

Ross
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Where do you purchase those grill grates? Pork Chops look awesome.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Wardster said:
    That looks fantastic.  The pic of the marinade, in the bag.  What was used for the overnight marinade?  I don't see any liquids in the recipe, unless I'm missing something.  I may try this.... thanks for sharing.
    No you are not missing anything I did
    Marinade: 1 C apple butter, 1/2 C apple cider, 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 
    1/2 C Smokin' Hoggz All Purpose Rub. 1 12oz bottle Lawry's Steak & Chop Marinade
    Sorry, Ross

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Lookin' good, Ross! Now I have another homebrewed rub in the cabinet. I only mixed up half a batch just to test and I left out the salt. Hmm, couple of other changes too, based on what I had. I guess I'll call it "Kinda-Sorta Smokin’ Hoggz All-Purpose Rub". =)

Always interested in new DIY rubs! I have some pork T in the freezer too. Just itchin' for a trial run! Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Lookin' good, Ross! Now I have another homebrewed rub in the cabinet. I only mixed up half a batch just to test and I left out the salt. Hmm, couple of other changes too, based on what I had. I guess I'll call it "Kinda-Sorta Smokin’ Hoggz All-Purpose Rub". =)

Always interested in new DIY rubs! I have some pork T in the freezer too. Just itchin' for a trial run! Thanks!
    Thanks Q, give this a try with the marinade

Ross