Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange Stuff Growing Out of My Egg, Help Needed

Options
This is a question for Egg users in the Northwest, or places that are damp and moist for long period of times.

I moved to the Portland, OR, area a few years ago from Colorado.  During the winter rainy months the Egg mostly stays covered with a grill cover but some moisture still gets under it. On a number of occasions, a strange substance seems to explode out the Egg.  This occurred after months of no usage.  I started thinking it was a mold or fungus that when heated would explode out the top vent.  I literally look like my BGE vomited, smells that bad too.

Yesterday I fired it up and decided to watch it to see exactly where it was coming from.  The material (vomit looking stuff) is oozing out of the Egg surface.  The glaze has tiny micro cracks (15 year old Egg) and whatever organic material growing there is heating up and bubbling out.  It eventually cooks out and I can rinse off easily.   During the dry Spring and Summers here the phenomenon is not happening.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?
Can the Egg be reglazed to prevent this happening?  Maybe I need a better cover.
Is a cracked finish a warranty claim?

Thank you for your help.  This is a head scratcher.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nothing to fear. Just means that a lot of water got logged in the ceramics and when you got her hot that water sweat out and drug some of the grease from your cooks with it. Get a spray bottle with some hot water and it should wipe right off.

This happens all the time on my 2  year old small egg because it spends a lot of time on the back of my RV in the elements. Worse part is it takes longer to get the egg to temp because it has to burn off all that water. Usually you can see the egg steam at the same time it oozes. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Yup, Grim summed it up perfectly.  You could also do a clean burn and rid of a lot of it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    happens in the north east as well, next heavy rain and its gone. only happens between winter and mud season

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have had that happen once.  After having the egg 5 years, it was quite a surprise.  There is a classic pic on here somewhere of maybe @fishlessman
     egg "purging" . . . <edit> See above. . . must have been posting at the same time.  I really like that picture.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Impressive!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColoradoCook
    Options
    Great feedback.  Good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.  Funny story, when this happened to me for the first time, winter of 2014, it was pretty shocking.  I fired the Egg up for a high heat cook and walked away.  When I returned it was 4 times as worse than the pictures I posted.  It smelled so bad. I thought I might have trapped a critter in the Egg months previous and it had heated up and exploded out the top vent.  That's how bad it was.  Thanks again for the advice.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Never seen it on mine. But as others have said, it happens to a lot of people. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I see that mess once or twice a year on my small which is uncovered. Use the egg and it then disappears.

As mentioned above, it does take longer to heat up the egg once moisture gets into the ceramics.