Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak directly on the coals

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just saw a picture on WessB's site of someone cooking flank steak directly on the coals and it brought back an interesting memory. My dad always swore that the best steak he ever ate was cooked directly on the coals of a campfire on a bed of coals from juniper. He said that it was important to turn the steak only once and when turning to place on top of a fresh section of coals. [p]Anyway, does anyone have any info about this method of cooking -- both from the perspective of technique and of results? Certainly should be an oppertunity to take the Trex concept to the limit.

Comments

• EGGlomaniac
    Options
    BobS,
    i saw alton brown do this on his show "good eats". when he first described it i thought "no way!!!", but after watching him do it,,it looked really good.
    you might want to search the food network site to find the recipe...

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,[p] You can this way too :)
    [ul][li]On Da Coals[/ul]
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    BobS,[p]Thanks to all for the information. [p]The recipe link is from Alton Brown and looks interesting, but the cooking method no doubt works regardless of how you like to season the steaks. Also, it uses skirt steak, but no doubt you could use any cut. The cooking details are shown below.[p]Heat charcoal, preferably natural chunk, until grey ash appears. Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Using a blow dryer, blow charcoal clean of ash. Once clean of ash lay steaks directly onto hot coals for 1 minute per side. When finished cooking, place meat in double thickness of aluminum foil, wrap, and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Remove meat from foil, reserving foil and juices. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Return to foil pouch and toss with juice. Serve with grilled peppers and onions, if desired. [p]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    BobS,
    That is "BobbyQ" doing the flank steak at last years Eggtoberfest...If he doesn`t chime in here in this post you can start a thread directed towards him...I`m sure he will give you all of the details.[p]Wess