Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I`m cooking Christmas Dinner.

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the menu is set....Christmas is at my house for sure this year.
Originally I was going to do a pork crown roast but have had a change of plans![p]I`m going to do the turkey as well as a pork loin roast in the green cooker.....
The pork loin roast I should be ok with cause I did one last Sunday that turned out great!.....
300deg w/inverted v rack and drip pan for roughly 2 hours....145 or 150deg internal temp.[p]The Turkey I have no idea on....I`m gonna look through the tons of threads to see what to do......
If you have anything you would like to add please feel free...
thanks...
Mop~

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    turkey13.jpg
    <p />Mop,[p]Many ways to do turkey - here are two 7lb breasts I did for thanksgiving. I have these in a V rack, sitting in a drip pan, over a couple firebricks. The main reason for the bricks was to keep the drippings from burning and to be used in the gravy. The link below has more pictures.
    2.75 hr at 325-350 deg. I use no wood and you get a very lite smokey taste from just the lump.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Turkey breasts on the Egg[/ul]
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Mop,
    A sure winner is to brine it first (24~48hours) and cook like TimM says. Indirect over bricks (if you want gravy) @ ~300-350 until breast is 170* and pull it off the grill.
    This works great and I usually add just a little sweet wood at the start (apple, cherry etc.), but nothing else as the lump adds smoke by itself.
    Brining makes the bird so juicey and tender its my preferred way to cook the birds even though it takes more preperation i feel its worth it, IMO.
    If you can't find a good brine recipe, let me know and I can probably help.
    Later, ChefRD

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352425&p=35579527
    <p />Mop, I used Tim M's double drip pan setup for 2 breasts before and also a whole turkey. This turkey was cooked on Thanksgiving of this year. I sliced up an apple and an onion and placed in the cavity for extra flavor. Poultry seems to soak up the smoke flavor so go easy on the wood chunks. I used 1 small apple chunk and it turned out great.[p]CWM

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Tim M, would you use the same method for a 15-17 lbs whole turkey?
    Mop