Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Egg: lower band sliding- HELP!

Having an issue with the lower band sliding down when my large egg is 300-400 degrees for an extended period of time.  It causes the top not to close properly and messes up my gasket. Has anyone else had this problem and what is the solution?  I went to Home Depot last night and bought new carriage bolts and replaced them. I fired up the egg, stabilized at 400 to reverse sear 2 rib eyes. Everything was going okay until right when I opened the top to put on the steaks, the lower band slid down again.  Is it the bolts?  
Thanks in advance 
Geaux Tigers

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    How tight are you torquing the band bolts? They need to be tight with a bend in the bolts to keep them from backing off. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    The band bolts should be torqued to 120 inch pounds/10 foot pounds.  Check them often as they tend to loosen over time.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • meturncl
    meturncl Posts: 51
    Hey SmokingPiney-   I have them tight but not to bend the bolts. Im afraid Ill shatter the egg. How tight can you go? 
    Geaux Tigers

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Replacing the bolts can be a bad idea if they are the wrong grade IMO. If you don't have a torque wrench, tighten them until they bend a little bit. They should definitely be deformed. 
  • SmokingPiney
    I check mine every couple of weeks. The last thing I want to do is drop and shatter a dome. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Same with me.  I had a bad experience once.  I bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight for less than $20 and keep it near by.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • meturncl
    120lb torque? maybe I dont have them tight enough.  

When I removed the old bolts, I notice several threads pushed down. I thought that could have been the issue and why the original bolt was "slipping". 
    Geaux Tigers

• SmokingPiney
    edited April 2016
    Put the new bolts in and torque them down. Check them every other week or so. A bottom band loosening isn't good...........a top band getting loose can be disaster. 

I don't use a torque wrench. I just tighten them down good and snug with a slight bend to the bolts. You won't shatter your Egg. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    meturncl said:
    120lb torque? maybe I dont have them tight enough.  

When I removed the old bolts, I notice several threads pushed down. I thought that could have been the issue and why the original bolt was "slipping". 
    120 inch pounds or 10 ft lbs
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    My dome fell off the deck 15 feet. Landed perfectly. Didn't break. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    If you look at your assembly instructions or watch an assembly video you will see they tighten the nuts until the bolt bends. 
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • SmokingPiney
    My dome fell off the deck 15 feet. Landed perfectly. Didn't break. 

There goes one of your Egg's nine lives!  =)
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Check out the assembly videos here http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • meturncl
    Thanks, I'll check it out and re tighten. I do have a torque wrench at home. I didnt have an issue until the last 6 months or so... 
    Geaux Tigers

• SmokingPiney
    meturncl said:
    Thanks, I'll check it out and re tighten. I do have a torque wrench at home. I didnt have an issue until the last 6 months or so... 
    And make sure you check that torque regularly.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    My guess is the bands expand over time with the heat transfer? I had the same issue for a few weeks until I torqued the heck out of the screw.
    Austin, Tx
  • meturncl
    Thanks for the input.  I emailed BGE and sent them some pictures.  It turns out the spring loaded hinge is warped/ bent.  They are sending me a new assembly. Great service, great product.  
    Geaux Tigers