Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado Joe JR?

Anyone has this grill? I wanted a minni-max but that will run me $940 CAD taxes in or I can get a Joe Jr this weekend for $560 cad with a place setter.

Comments

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited April 2016
    just bought one two  weeks ago at the costco roadshow.  i like the size and price better than the mini max.  the only negative i have with it is the lack of a screen on the lower vent (i live in a very dry climate). so if this doesnt bother you, i HIGHLY recommend it

i believe @SGH and @Lit also sing its praises
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Lots of folks here have one. Use mine often. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Just bought one about two months ago, but used it last weekend.  So far, I like this little cooker.  

I cooked chicken breast, tenders, burgers, and ribeyes.  It really worked well.  

I attempted to due an overnight butt too for Sunday dinner, however I didn't check it till the next morning and the fire was snuffed out.  I consider that my fault.  

The thing comes to temp very quickly with just one starter cube, which is nice.

Got mine at a Costco roadshow too for $399.   
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Great little kamado - two thumbs up. I opted for one over the MiniMax mainly because of price. The KJ Jr. is slightly larger at the grate. It comes with a bunch of accessories unlike the MiniMax. It's little bit lighter. For some folks the fact that it is not green is a deal breaker but I'm not that dedicated a BGE fanboy.

Thinking of buying another one at the next KJ Roadshow.

If you are concerned about sparks jumping out of the bottom vent it is a very easy thing to just cut a piece of steel mesh and place it inside the vent opening.

I've never seen sparks jump out of mine but I guess it does happen to some folks. If doing a butt the bottom vent is almost closed completely anyway so the chances of any sparks getting out is almost impossible.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Lots of people here love them 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    It's a fantastic kamado.  Pretty portable and does a great job.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    HeavyG said:

Are they much cheaper at the Costco events? 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • tarheelmatt
    byrne092 said:
    HeavyG said:

$399 w/ deflector, ash tool, grate gripper, and box of cubes is what I paid.  Pretty much everything but lump to get you cooking for anything.  They had their lump too and was a good price.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • byrne092
    byrne092 said:
    HeavyG said:

$399 w/ deflector, ash tool, grate gripper, and box of cubes is what I paid.  Pretty much everything but lump to get you cooking for anything.  They had their lump too and was a good price.  
    Man...thats very tempting, I have been debating something to compliment the XL, $650-$800 for a MM or Medium is a little different than $400. Do you have any idea what the normal price is.

St. Louis, MO
  • byrne092
    Nice. Thanks for the info @tonyled! Didn't know it was that easy to find the prices, little different than BGE.

St. Louis, MO
  • tonyled
    check their website for a local dealer.  there were a few near me but they dont rely on their dealer network as much as bge.  they simply ship the replacement parts directly to you.   i have never been to one of the dealers but i did pick the reps brain at the costco road show over a couple of trips

if you are on the fence, jump over.  it really is a nice grill and you wont be disappointed.  i now use it more than the large
  • byrne092
    Yeah there are about 8 dealers in a 30 mile radius, so that's a plus. I have looked at KJs in the past at a local bbq shop and they seemed pretty solid, the Jr actually caught my eye back then, but really wasn't looking to buy. Looks like they will be at the local Costco this month...that gives me a little time to do some convincing to the better half...

St. Louis, MO
  • tonyled
    its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

just sayin'
  • tarheelmatt
    Our Costco didn't market that they were going to be there, like a true Roadshow.  The rep was just there.  I told him that I was looking for them to come back from the last time and he informed me that they're trying hard to get in the area (Greensboro).  He was back again the next time I was at Costco.  
    @johnmitchell priced around some Jrs in the area too, as the Costco rep was out of the Jrs.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    I have one and love it. It now gets more use than my XL as it uses way less lump. I got mine from ace for $330 about 16 months ago. My son and daughter think it is their "Black egg". I just need a shorter table so I can cook at normal height. I'm not 6'10 only 5'7.5. 

• tonyled
    i have heard of some dealers matching the price from the costco road show

fyi:  black is no longer made  :(  i wanted it over the red
  • HeavyG
    Our Costco didn't market that they were going to be there, like a true Roadshow.  The rep was just there.  I told him that I was looking for them to come back from the last time and he informed me that they're trying hard to get in the area (Greensboro).  He was back again the next time I was at Costco.  
    @johnmitchell priced around some Jrs in the area too, as the Costco rep was out of the Jrs.  
    There are usually Roadshow events at many Costco's in North Carolina. http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

There are a few on the schedule now.

You might also want to periodically hit the Costco Special Events page for your region - http://www.costco.com/special-events-southeast.html

I think that it always matches the KJ Roadshow page but there may be something mentioned on the events page that gets overlooked on the Roadshow page.

I'm in Virginia and they did not have any Roadshows in Virginia and further north until late last year. It's not on the schedule yet but word I have is that they won't be back in my area until July and I probably will pick up another Jr. and a boatload of lump.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Firemanyz said:

Well now that's interesting.  It looks like you're using their woo type setup upside down.  And it gets you a little more height; above the felt line.  Never even crossed my mind.  Cool innovation.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Do you have to have a cosco membership to buy one at the road show?
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I bought one a year ago because BGE was dragging their feet getting the mini max out to their customers. I'm glad I got the KJJr. now because it's a better value for the money.  I like the stand of the KJ better because it's taller.  I think the whole thing is well built and solid. I was quite impressed.  Never had a spark jump out of the vent, but I guess it could happen as a fluke occurrence. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • HeavyG
    GaBGE said:
    Do you have to have a cosco membership to buy one at the road show?
    Yes.

However, since Costco offers a full money back guarantee on their membership you could just go ahead and join and then if you decide that you would likely never really go to Costco again you can just cancel your membership and get your fee back in full.

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    edited April 2016
    Thanks @HeavyG I have several SAMs that are about half the distance of the nearest Costco(60 miles). I would like to check out Costco though just not close to one very often.
  • tarheelmatt
    HeavyG said:
    There are usually Roadshow events at many Costco's in North Carolina. http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

You might also want to periodically hit the Costco Special Events page for your region - http://www.costco.com/special-events-southeast.html

I think that it always matches the KJ Roadshow page but there may be something mentioned on the events page that gets overlooked on the Roadshow page.

I'm in Virginia and they did not have any Roadshows in Virginia and further north until late last year. It's not on the schedule yet but word I have is that they won't be back in my area until July and I probably will pick up another Jr. and a boatload of lump.
    Maybe I didn't get out what I was wanting to say.  

When the rep was there wasn't on that list.  He said they're trying to heavily market in Gboro area.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Re Costco, I read somewhere recently that if you know someone with a membership, they can buy a gift card for you. You don't have to be a member to buy with a gift card. Don't know for sure if that works, never tried it. Also don't know if Costco gift cards expire. Worth checking out if you're interested.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Re Costco, I read somewhere recently that if you know someone with a membership, they can buy a gift card for you. You don't have to be a member to buy with a gift card. Don't know for sure if that works, never tried it. Also don't know if Costco gift cards expire. Worth checking out if you're interested.
    In Canada a gift card cannot expire, however a coupon can expire.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

When the rep was there wasn't on that list.  He said they're trying to heavily market in Gboro area.  
    I did understand what you were saying. I was just suggesting that perhaps the Roadshow list didn't always match the Special Events list.

It seems odd that KJ's would be at a Costco and that not to bee on one of those lists. According to the folks from KJ (on a different forum) the KJ Roadshows schedules are up to Costco and the individual Costco stores. It's not as if the KJ folks can just show up whenever they want. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

• tarheelmatt
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I did understand what you were saying. I was just suggesting that perhaps the Roadshow list didn't always match the Special Events list.

It seems odd that KJ's would be at a Costco and that not to bee on one of those lists. According to the folks from KJ (on a different forum) the KJ Roadshows schedules are up to Costco and the individual Costco stores. It's not as if the KJ folks can just show up whenever they want. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.
    Gotcha.  No, I checked both because I was hell bent on getting one, but knew when the next roadshow was and was a ways off.  So when I went in and saw the rep, I was surprised.  

I'm assuming that it could be store based by the manager of that store.  I dunno.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tonyled
    i have also heard this is true