Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough...

Options
First time poster. I'm going to try a pizza on my new egg Friday. Think I'm going to use the mellow marshmallow copycat recipe, it calls for 3 1/2 cups of flour. How many 12" pizzas will they make? 

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Using 12 ¾ ounces All-Purpose Flour (about 3-3.25 cups) you can get one of the following choices:
    Two 1/2"-thick 14" round pizzas;
    Two 3/4"-thick 12" round pizzas;
    One 3/4" to 1"-thick 13" x 18" rectangular (Sicilian-style) pizza;
    One 1 1/2"-thick 9" x 13" rectangular pizza;
    One 1"-thick 14" round pizza.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I ended up with about four 9-10" pizzas. This recipe stretches thin really well and still puffs up nicely.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Options
    :joker: what recipe?  :smiley: yours? Or the post from @jtcBoynton
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I'd get a SCALE and learn to WEIGH dough.

My Bread Machine makes a FINE 2lb ball of dough.  This is enough for a 20" or so pizza and is just wonderful off the egg.
    On an XL:

I understand the 'No Pictures or It Never Happened' rule!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Begger agree measure ingredients and dough by weight. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Get some good flour. I ordered 6lbsof Caputo OO today to make pizzas for my daughters school next week. By far the best pizza flourish have found. http://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caputo-Pizzeria-Flour-Repack/dp/B006XL9W7W/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1459471001&sr=8-2&keywords=caputo+00+flour
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    @Begger nice looking pie! Do you mind sharing your recipe?
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    @Lit

I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but I just can't stand Caputo on an Egg, and I always flinch when newer members are encouraged to use it.  If he wants pizza like the mellow mushroom, cheap old Gold Metal Bread will give better results at a cheaper cost with much less headache.  

Caputo and other high-end Italian flours just don't perform well for most people across the board at Egg temperatures.  They don't brown extremely well and be hard to pull together unless you've made enough dough to know what you're doing.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • kwdickert
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Bread flour works great for me. @Josh82 is referring to this recipe

http://www.larkandlola.com/2013/04/favorite-things-friday-no2-favorite.html?m=1

This is what I said makes four good 9-10" pies. 

I'm currently on to my next pizza project using this recipe below and making my own dough and my own mozzarella.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

• castironman
    castironman Posts: 34
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree on ditching the 00 flour. At least to start.  I've not had results that warrant chasing it. I'm sure I'll give it another try further down the road.

@josh82I try and gauge 1 pie per Cup of flour. But I also don't aim for a specific size or thickness. We like the variety per pizza/recipe.

I have also tried to emulate Mellow M ...  I found just about any basic dough recipe can be adapted by swapping molasses in place of sugar to proof the yeast .. AND ... brush on a butter/parmesan glaze to the crust.
    That gets me close enough before adding some funky toppings and giving it a creative nickname!

It's like a cross between a hurricane and a ship that's run aground
  • Lit
    Options
    stantrb said:
    @Lit

I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but I just can't stand Caputo on an Egg, and I always flinch when newer members are encouraged to use it.  If he wants pizza like the mellow mushroom, cheap old Gold Metal Bread will give better results at a cheaper cost with much less headache.  

Caputo and other high-end Italian flours just don't perform well for most people across the board at Egg temperatures.  They don't brown extremely well and be hard to pull together unless you've made enough dough to know what you're doing.

Not sure what recipe you are following but I use the flour,water,salt, yeast directions and the Caputo is amazing with it. Its so much easier to form a thin crust pizza than all purpose or bread flour it has no pull back. As far as price I believe I got 10 pizzas out of my last 5lb bag I would guess about 12" pizzas. From the seller I posted above that's like $1.25 per pizza on the dough. I preheat my stone at 500 then once the pizza is on leave everything wide open high in the dome and 8-10 minutes later usually 600-650 dome and the pizza is done.
  • kwdickert
    Options
    i've had good luck forming dough, so i imagine i'll be trying the 00 dough once I get through my next 5 pizza dough balls haha.
  • Lit
    Options
    This is some same day dough I made with the recipe I said above and OO. Looks pretty good for a same day.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    EggDan said:
    @Begger nice looking pie! Do you mind sharing your recipe?
    I would GLADLY share it if I actually USED one.

Secrect, such as it is?    I use mild and spicey sausage from the German Meat Market the next town over.   GREAT STUFF.
    Good fresh Mozorella from Costco.
    Dough is the recipe that came with the bread Machine!      I make the dough the DAY BEFORE and put it in the fridge overnite.    Help?  who knows?

Other ingredients are as fresh as we can manage.    And I'm a stick in the mud and Anti-Revisionist Pizza Recipe.    Sausage, Mushrooms,  Green and Black Olives and a dusting of Onion.   

I run the Dome at maybe 600f, which means when done the bottom end of the grill looks like Brand New.   Man, does that get HOT.  
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm just always an advocate of using an off the shelf bread flour with some malted barley in it (read your ingredient label), making a lean dough around 60-65% hydration, and fermenting it in the refrigerator overnight.  At temperatures of 500F, it will perform better than a similarly made dough with an Italian flour that doesn't contain malt.  I do this professionally hundreds of times a day.  

If your pizza base is pulling back when you try to open it, it hasn't rested long enough.  Caputo and similar flours don't pull back because they're designed that way, but they're also designed not to brown incredibly well unless you've got heat in excess of 700F.  

The REAL secret is that overnight cold fermentation.  That allows the starches to unravel and provides more simple sugar for browning and taste without adding extra sugar to your dough.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.