Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Help Me Choose A Vehicle (Ridgeline Spinoff Kinda)

So I think I might be in that category of dudes that don't use their pickups to pickup capacity but I think I still want a pickup anyway.

Current Situation:
  • Getting ready to buy a single family home (first time buyer)
  • Currently have a 56 mile round trip commute to work
  • Currently drive a 2003 Accord with ~170k - paid off
  • Wifey drives a 2008 Civic with ~100k - less than a year's payments left
With owning this home I see a lot of situations arising where a truck would come in handy: running to the dump, picking up mulch/stone/etc., picking up furniture/furnishings, etc.  Wifey and I would also like to start taking our bikes places which a truck could do instead of buying a rack for our cars.  We are going to adopt a dog in June and I have this beautiful image in my head of cruising down the road with my wife and doggy.  Lastly, we get a decent amount of snow in my location and I'd like to have one vehicle that was at least fairly capable in adverse conditions.  

So far I'm considering the following:
  • Buy a full-sized beater truck for 3k or less, everything else stays the same.  The more I think about it, the less appealing it is because it will take up more space, require tags/inspection/extra maintenance/require starting it up every so often.  I was also looking at 2wd trucks for this as it's more difficult to find 4wd in the price range, this will not satisfy my poor weather want.
  • Drive my Accord until the wheels come off (might be a long time) or trade in to get a truck and use it as my daily driver.  This is where the Ridgeline would maybe come in, I like the creature features and smooth ride but don't particularly care for the small box.  The 2016 diesel Colorado looks pretty cool too but it's $$$ and I'm not particularly keen on buying brand new.  No matter what option I pick here I'm sacrificing MPH.
  • Drive my Accord until the wheels come off (might be a long time) or trade in to get some sort of crossover SUV and buy a trailer.  I really like Outbacks and they would honestly fit my needs 95% of the time until I need to make a sloppy dump run/pickup mulch or stone/pickup furniture and then I could use the trailer.  Depending on what year Outback I get, I'm not sacrificing much MPH.
I know that was a lot of rambling, I hope you are able to understand some of it.  I feel like the smart economic decision is to drive my Accord until it starts to cost too much in maintenance and rent a pickup for the few times I need one.  Then, once the Accord goes to auto heaven, grab a used Outback and get on with life (continuing to rent pickups when I need them or get a trailer).  That said, I've always wanted a truck... talk me in to one guys!
Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Buy a truck. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited March 2016
    I have a single family home , wife, two kids and dog... I love my truck... Do I need one? Probably not, heck I don't even have a tow package , but it's s a lot less expensive than a SUV that has enough space... I use my truck as the family car for vacations, and when necessary as a truck for the exact things you mentioned, mostly landscaping.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410

I really miss mine.  Wish I didn't sell.  You will not enjoy fill ups with that commute. I am assuming you are more concerned with MPG and not MPH?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited April 2016
    My last couple vehicles have been Ford Rangers. For how much I want an older full size truck I can't justify the gas mileage and don't have anything tow to justify a full size truck. I can pull a smaller trailer for lawn mowers or random loads that don't fit in the box. It's been a good vehicle for trips to the hardware store when working on the house. My 4 cylinder Ranger gets 28mpg hwy with a manual transmission. Great on gas and cheap to maintain. Fits 95% percent of my needs. My previous Ranger cost me $2,800 and I got 90,000 miles out of it. Might be a great 3rd vehicle for you guys
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Buy a truck...because you want one. Life's too short to drive a car you don't like anymore. With that commute I would probably buy a Totota Tacoma or some other truck that is fairly reliable. It doesn't need to be new to look great and be perfect for you.

Having said that, my daily driver is a 2016 Yukon but I enjoy driving my old 2001 F150 a lot more on the weekends. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited April 2016
    I bought a '98 ZR2 brand new. Due to various circumstances I had to sell it. After I got married I told myself and my wife if I ever could afford another truck I was going to have one. Found an '03 ZR2 that fit the budget.

Had that and our family outgrew it. Traded it in on this about a year and a half ago.

No, I don't *need* a truck, but it sure makes hauling stuff around easier. And, it's a truck, not a minivan.

Edit: I should add, I still kinda miss the ZR2, those are fun little trucks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Where are you planning on moving? My dad has a Tacoma which is great for most things, but doing a bunch of renovations would be easier with a full size. Wife and I are hoping to get something we can rehab around Baker Park if we can settle on a SFH.
  • Where are you planning on moving? My dad has a Tacoma which is great for most things, but doing a bunch of renovations would be easier with a full size. Wife and I are hoping to get something we can rehab around Baker Park if we can settle on a SFH.

Actually not moving, just buying the house that we are currently renting.  We are in the Staley park area... 
  • BTW, sweet truck pics!!
    @Phatchris @kl8ton @DMW

Ya'll are making we want a truck even more.

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    I agree with @SmokeyPitt 110% wait until you are settled in. You will need a ton of $hit that you didn't plan for, such as lawnmower, trimmer, maybe a leaf blower, rakes, shovels, she will probably want gardening tools, and that's just for the outdoors.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Just my $.02, but I would wait until you get in the house and get settled in before worrying about it.  Don't underestimate how much **** you need to buy once you move in.  Definitely do not get another car payment.  Get comfortable in your new budget and then make a decision a little later. 

Absolutely that.  No way I'm doing anything drastic until the dust settles.
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    edited April 2016
    I am really enjoying my 15 Sierra Z71. Only 17 in the city but 26 on the hwy. 

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited April 2016
    Don't rule out a $500 utility trailer off Craigslist. You can get a suv/truck or something mid sized with a little better gas mileage and pull a cheap trailer for the hardware store. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Get a used truck that will tow 5k. Then find a used trailer about 12-16 ft. That combo will do it all. YRMV. 
  • Definitely a truck, I live in the city and still am always so glad when I need it .  I think that an suv can't so the dirty things a truck does well and costs more.  I drove a Tacoma for a while and now have a tundra. They both are bad on gas, but honestly not that different and probably not that different from any  suv that would do what you want.  I've  heard great things about the the Chevy trucks that can run on 4cyl on the hwy but haven't driven them.  The only thing I'd say with kids is to for sure go with a 4 door.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Two thumbs up on waiting. Wait a year if you can. There will be unexpected expenses to getting a new house up and running the way you want. One major change to the budget at a time. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Truck.  Had one for years, got rid of it for years, bought another a few years ago.  So glad I did.  They are so nice now, excellent daily drivers.  A few years back we drive from Austin to Tucson and Phoenix for vacation and spring training and I had three adult sizes kids in the backseat of my F-150 with zero fights and the bed loaded with four sets of golf clubs, luggage, coolers, etc.  I will eventually replace my truck, with another truck.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    I fully understand your dilemma. Before a wife and kids I bought a new 2002 Nissan Xterra (wish I had bought a truck). Fast forward to 2009 and wife wants a minivan for the family. We buy her mothers and I get handed the keys to the 2004 Honda Accord. The accord is great on gas as I drive 175 miles round trip to work every 4 days. Everything is paid for but I wish I had a truck. I need to keep a 4x4 auto around as I have to go to work. Wife wants me to get rid of car and xterra and get a truck but I don't want to give up MPG and I like driving the accord. Also we are getting ready to sell the 07 odyssey to get a 13 odyssey for a great deal. So my plan is to keep driving the accord until it goes to heaven. I just put the first timing belt on it at 225000 so I think I'm doing good. 

My my advice keep the car for MPG and find a used truck for the house. I hate having to call friends to get a truck to move anything it's a PITA. 

Good luck
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    In the past, I have driven two Dodge Dakota PUs and loved them both.
    Two yeaers ago, the current one got wrecked and I was back in the market.  After a lot of consideration, I bought a Subaru Forester.  My wife has driven an 03, and now a 2011 Outback.  Both excellent vehicles with a lot of cargo space.  I bought the Forester, because, frankly, it was noticeably lower $$ than the Outback.  Surprisingly, it has almost as much cargo area, especially with the back seats folded down
    Something like that might be the best of both worlds for your needs.
    Not to mention, a terrifically high safety rating from the IIHS.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Where are you planning on moving? My dad has a Tacoma which is great for most things, but doing a bunch of renovations would be easier with a full size. Wife and I are hoping to get something we can rehab around Baker Park if we can settle on a SFH.

Actually not moving, just buying the house that we are currently renting.  We are in the Staley park area... 
    Cool. There is a place off 13th street and Motter we are looking at. We really want a 4th bedroom without having to build an addition, though.
  • @SmokeyPitt @1move @blind99
    Thanks for being the voice of reason. Believe me, this is all planning-speak, buying a house is fuggin expensive!!! I'm super analytical so I ran the numbers a million different ways but I still went  :o when I saw how much closing costs are.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    @SmokeyPitt @1move @blind99
    Thanks for being the voice of reason. Believe me, this is all planning-speak, buying a house is fuggin expensive!!! I'm super analytical so I ran the numbers a million different ways but I still went  :o when I saw how much closing costs are.
    Those numbers are only distractions and will do you zero good when it's all said and done.  

Be happy!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    I just recently traded in my 2003, F150 Supercrew for a 2013 Supercrew.  This one has the V6, twin turbo Ecoboost engine.  Man I love this thing.  I am getting about 150 additional miles per tank with this thing.  The day after I bought it I took a 1500 mile trip and averaged a little over 26  miles per gallon.

I have been driving PUs since the mid 80s and this is by far my most favorite truck.  The Ecoboost delivers some kinda power for sure.

Recently added step rails and bed cover.

BUY A TRUCK!

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I didn't read any of this but trucks are expensive to buy and commute. If you only need a truck sometimes homedepot has them for like $20 for 2 hours. We have a 4 runner and I still rent a uhaul when I go to the dump cause I don't want a nail in my tire. Based on your post you don't want to spend a lot of money any decent truck with low miles is gonna be $20k plus.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited April 2016
    Ecoboost - Because tree huggers don't understand the concept of a turbocharger. Excellent marketing. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    You won't want the quad cab payment.  My cousin just bought a new Tundra with lift and rims, 50K.   No friggin way.  He's the keep up with the cool kids type.  

If you are patient, and know what you are doing, nice vehicles can be found for under 5K.  My last three were a total of $12,000 and 240K miles.  The only new thing I will ever buy at a stealership is a crate 350 from GM, basically for the warranty vs rebuild and no warranty.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Yep, looks solid bud.  I'd roll it no problem.  A 6cyl manual to boot.  My Taco is a 5spd, I enjoy driving it.  That little bulletproof 4 banger pushes 30 MPGs.  RWD no posi does suck in the snow, even with plenty of tube sand.  The only con-cern here in my book.  Being very light on the gas when starting from a stop, and downshifting to help slow you down are key.  On severe snowstorm days when the weatherman tells everyone not to drive, my 4x4 Silverado gets the call for the hospital commute. 

My dad had a late 70s F250 4x4 lockers,  two tone green with bigger tires and rims.  It pulled our boat.  Solid truck, standard cab with my brother and Ma.  I ride with two passengers often just fine.  Nice to have a real box too.  These new truck quad cab and ext cab boxes are much shorter.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."