Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Dirty is Your Smokeware Cap?

2»

Comments

• figured it out...for those with a similar challenge here are the steps that worked for me: 
    1. vents full open, light and remove the top
    2. Let it go thermonuke for about a half hour
    3. inserted my ash tool into the slots of the smokeware base and pulled up, I noticed that there was some play so I worked my way around all 3 slots until it gave up
    4. flip the base off the egg and let it fly thru the air
    5. for a brief moment, wonder what the smokeware base shaped scar will look like
    6. quickly picked it up and placed on some concrete to cool

this was effective, but probably too much risk,  next time I will probably use some pliers or something I can grip it with.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Mine is pretty ugly...but its burnout day so I thought I would give it a good cleaning...any tips on how to get a smokeware base off the egg when it is putting up a good fight?
    It should move a little more free when the egg gets hot I would think.  Just wear some good heat resistant gloves though.  If you get it to hot the gasket may melt and run.  How high are you going and do you need to remove it.  Be careful taking it to high with the top on.  I found this on the Naked Whiz site review.  Read below.

So, things were going along fine as the cooker rose to 850° and stayed there for about 30 minutes. We then decided to shut the cooker down by closing the bottom vent of the cooker and then the vent on the Smokeware cap. Dark foul-smelling smoke immediately began seeping from the edges of the Smokeware cap. Within no more than 1 to 1.5 seconds, black evil-looking goo started oozing and bubbling from between the cooker and the lower edge of the base. We immediately removed the cap and the base to prevent any permanent bonding between the base and the cooker and sure enough the entire gasket had virtually instantly melted. Here are photos of the remnants after things had cooled down:

The remnants of the melted gasket attached to the inside of the base
    The remnants of the melted gasket attached to the inside of the base.
    Similarly the remnants of the melted gasket attached to the cooker
    Similarly, the remnants of the melted gasket attached to the cooker.

So, what happened? We think that as long as the hot air from the cooker was able to shoot through the cap and out the vents, there wasn't enough heat transfer to the metal cap to melt the gasket. Once the vents were closed and the hot air was trapped, the air temperature inside the cap most likely went through the roof, heating the cap and melting the gasket. So what's the takeaway from this? Well, personally, we just don't see a need for the gasket, for a number of reasons. First, it melts. Second, if you want to use your Ceramic Cap or DFMT, you may damage the gasket. And third, we just don't see a need. It worked perfectly fine without the gasket. However, if you feel you want a gasket, Ron Pratt on the original Big Green Egg Forum is selling short sections of Rutland gasket for use instead of the gasket which comes with the cap. We'd suggest looking Ron up over there and purchasing a piece of Rutland. You can then attach it to either the cooker or the cap using Permatex Ultra Copper gasket maker.

LOL - I'm the same Ron Pratt and I post here as RRP just like I do on the old forum.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Pardon my ignorance, but what functionality does that cap add to the egg?  Is it for if one is planning on cooking in torrential downpours or something? :-)
    It's a preference.  The daisy wheel is functional, but stainless doesn't rust.  Also rain can't get in unless it's pretty darn windy.  If you're curious, www.smokeware.com
    Rust on the DW? Only time mine have had any rust on them is after I pull them from the electrolysis tank when I clean them. Toss it on the gasser to dry it off...Quick wire wheel, hit it with the air hose and quick seasoning...good to go....
    An exhaust is an exhaust for one of these things...chuckle when I see saying that this cap "works" better than the DW. Both are a passive device...ain't t like because one has the exhaust sitting horizontal and the other vertical it alters the amount of air flow...
    Only advantage I see to it is in the rain....
  • Thanks @RRP
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Mine is so dirty I call it Miley.
  • I just ordered the Gen 2 cap for my XL & donut gasket for the Gen 1 cap I'll move to the small.  The SPRINGIN free shipping code still worked.
    Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Curve ball to the OP....  Anyone get their Smokewear caps etched with a name, logo, etc?
    @NPHuskerFL
    Yes. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Thanks @Jeepster47 and @NPHuskerFL for the etched images.  I am picking one up and having it custom etched.  Still trying to figure out what I want to put on it.  Thinking about doing like what the guy is doing with my new Yeti Bottle - UGA "G" logo on one side and my "Southern Miss" logo from when I was back in college there on the other side.  Might do that on the Smokewear cap as well.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @DaveRichardson... when you etch it, add a small line along the front edge by the handle.

<-- COLD    HOT -->

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    That's a goon one.....  Might see if he can do that!  If he can't, I might find a laser etcher.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Mine's pretty dirty!  No time to clean it now.  Poke butts are on sale at Meijer for $0.99/lb.  Thanks for the heads up @Bustersdad.  I got three rolling right now.  Have a good weekend!

Fred what are Poke Butts! Is it a northern thing?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @hotch poke butts may be a San Francisco OT Piedmont Park thing. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    So it is a Cali thing, ok clears that up.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Well, actually Piedmont is in Atlanta, but same vibe. 
  • Hotch said:
    Mine's pretty dirty!  No time to clean it now.  Poke butts are on sale at Meijer for $0.99/lb.  Thanks for the heads up @Bustersdad.  I got three rolling right now.  Have a good weekend!

It's kinda like a poke belly only different.

Flint, Michigan
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Hotch said:
    In my only trip to Texas many years ago, when I read the sign, I just HAD to stop at a roadside stand where an old guy was smoking ribs in what looked like an old fuel oil tank.  The sign said, "Polk Ribbs."  They were good, too!
  • i'm curious. I have wanted one of these and this thread made me decide to get one. I went to the site - added a cap and the flat cap and put my info in for shipping. the only option is $30 for fedex ?? i even put the free shipping code mentioned further up and it says it can't be used for my address. I am in south florida and they are north florida ? what the heck ?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    @rod_serling
    how do you have zero posts when I am reading one of your posts?   :)

Just call them.  They are awesome.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • That code might have only been good in March.  Call them.  I've never had an occasion to speak with them, but they have a very good reputation here.
    Flint, Michigan
  • hmm i thought i had posted here before - i guess it was over at kamadoguru. i have lurked for awhile when i was going to initially get an egg - then i got a weber genesis - and then only recently i got a kj classic at costco instead of an egg. i continue to lurk here because there is so much more activity here than the other places :) I suppose I was hesitant to post as I did not own an egg.
  • Perhaps you imagined it?

Flint, Michigan
  • kl8ton
    You are welcome here.  Weird, that you just posted again and your count remains at zero.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    It says two on ny screen, some people just count more slower than others.
  • kl8ton
    Now it says two.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2016
    Hotch said:
    @Hotch, Poke butts are what you use to make poke sallet. Everyone knows that! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cleaning my Smokeware cap today.  I started with Easy Off which got a lot off and degreased the cap, but the tough stuff remained.  I soaked it overnight in soapy water that started off hot and that didn't do much.  Finally I boiled a little water in a pot and steamed the cap.  Wearing gloves, I used a disposable plastic knife to get after the crud.  After multiple trips to the pot alternating both pieces of the cap, it's pretty clean.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Not sure why you just didn't shoot it with a second coating of Easy Off. You worked at this too hard, Fred!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • It was really bad!  Maybe the no fume formula in a trigger sprayer Easy Off Wilma bought isn't that good.  I put two applications on it with two hour wait times.  The steam was the ticket for me.  I'll buy the original Easy Off next time.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Back in action!  

Chicken drums on the menu...again.
    Flint, Michigan