Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second egg, what size???

Options
So I have an XL - love it when I need to feed an army!  Just did a brisket, pork butt, pork belly, and a few chickens for 40 at Easter. Works great!  When cooking for just my family (3 for now) though starting to think a smaller size might be a better fit. Been eyeing the medium - I have in my head that it would get to temp much quicker and use a lot less lump than my XL...  Have seen where quite a few have recommended against the medium though and to go with a large - doesn't seem like the difference between an XL and L would be enought to justify the cost?  So those of you with XLs and added a smaller egg what are your thoughts?  Thanks!!!

Comments

• ferndchamp
    ferndchamp Posts: 152
    Options
    I decided on a minimax. I cook for my wife and I but I could easily feed 3 persons.  I was eyeing the medium as well but I chose the minimax for portability reasons. The also chose the minimal for quick cook situations and to save some lump charcoal. I recommend to go look at them in person and then make the decision.  Don't think you can go wrong. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I'd get a weber kettle. One chimney full of lump I can cook any weeknight cook as good as I can on the egg.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I also have an XL and cook for 5 adults most of the time. We ended up with a MiniMax and I would say it's been used just as much as the XL
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I don't know who is recommending against a medium. Everyone I know that owns multiple eggs states that the medium is their favorite. It's a wonderful size.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    All the cool kids have a medium. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Lit said:
    I'd get a weber kettle. One chimney full of lump I can cook any weeknight cook as good as I can on the egg.
    Our experiences sure are different!  I had a Weber kettle for years, and liked it OK, but never loved it.  I also had a Weber gas grill, and liked the convenience, but the food never really tasted "charcoal grilled," to me -- it looked grilled, but tasted like it could have been broiled indoors in the oven.

It wasn't until my wife bought me a Big Green Egg that I started to LOVE the food I cooked outdoors!  Especially things that cook lower and slower.  For a hot and fast grill of burgers or steaks, I still think I like them better in the Egg but I don't know that I'd want to put a lot of money on a blind test.  But chicken in my BGEs tastes like it was cooked over a wood fire, and in my Weber grill, if I made sure not to let fat drip down on the coals and burn back up again into the meat, it just never tasted an awful lot better than if I'd cooked it indoors.  And ribs, oh my goodness!  Hours of smoky lusciousness with very little tending of the fire.  Nothing like that was I able to do with my Weber grill.

I have two BGEs and don't need another one, or I'd be asking you why in the world you have an Egg if the Weber is just as good, so why not sell me the Egg???
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Medium!  I have L and XL at the lake. So want an in town egg, which would be a medium.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I bought the XL first and love it. Added the Medium a couple of years ago and it's great for smaller cooks or a second temp range.  If it was today, I might consider the MiniMax instead of the medium but I am very happy with the Medium.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    MM or Medium.  

I'm going MM for my 2nd one because it's just my wife and I.... Still a MM might be good for 3 people. With no sides obviously.  Just cooking your main meat on the egg, and sides inside ect.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    MiniMax is my goto grill for the two of us. Compliments my large and mini
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I started with the XL and loved it. My Beautiful Wife and I entertain large parties frequently, and it has not disappointed.
    We then purchased a MM to do two things: take camping, and take tailgating, because of how much we enjoyed our food cooked on the XL.
    Well, we now use it to cook for up to 4 people. We have done cooks for 5 when doing whole pork loins and beef tenderloins.
    It is wonderful for appetizers, veggies and for when it is just the two of us, when the children are out and about.
    It really is a versatile cooker. We enjoy it very much at home and on the road.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    If you want the option of portability, go with the MM, if not go with the medium.
    I own a XL also. The MM gets used during the week for small cooks XL on the weekends. I can take to the MM to the mountains for the weekend if I want to.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I JUST went through this.... like less than a month ago had an XL and needed a second egg, mainly for side dishes and smaller meals.  I ended up with a Medium and love it.

For me, the Medium was only $20 more than a MM but I could not get over a few things with the MM:

Medium holds much more lump for L&S.

The grid may only be 2" larger in Diameter on a Medium, but it makes a huge difference when trying to put square pans in there for side dishes.  Go to a dealer with a few pans you normally use and see if they fit.  I was surprised I couldn'tfit anything reasonable in the MM.

The MM dome doesn't allow that big of stuff in it.

Cooking only 4 burgers at a time is too limiting for me.

Yes, I lost portability by going with a medium, but when I really thought about it i am not sure in reality how often that it would be used as a portable grill.  I would use it at home 99% of the time.   If I REALLY need a portable unit some day, I will get a cheap weber which is also MUCH lighter to haul.  Also, check with any places you might want to go tailgating: places around me DO NOT allow charcoal, it had to be a gas unit.

The best use out of the MM that I could see was making burgers, chicken, steaks, etc.  But, most people (myself included) will tell you that the you will not see a huge difference between those items cooked on an egg vs a weber. 

That is my story anyway, Medium works best for me.

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have a large, small, and mini max.  I use them all.  If I had to pick 2 it would be a large and the mm. The mm is very versatile if you ever want to take it somewhere. FWIW, my local egg dealer said his worst seller was the medium. He said no one wants them. They are kind of an odd size and people either go with the small or large. For all practical purposes the mm is the same size as the small, 13" cooking grid.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I don't know who is recommending against a medium. Everyone I know that owns multiple eggs states that the medium is their favorite. It's a wonderful size.
    I am a med lover....wait that didn't sound right. I have a medium and love it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    If I was to ever get a second egg to pair with my XL I'd be getting a medium.  The MM seems like a good option when you're cooking for 2 or need portability but I don't think I could easily cook for 4 on it.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited March 2016
    Options
    XL first here then a couple years later a Medium. I am extremely happy with this combo. If you like the Smokeware cap, they also fit the medium. If you have a Woo2 for your XL the pizza stone from the M acts as an indirect shield and the cast iron grate down low for searing. Versatile size set for just about any cook you can imagine. I would buy this set again. Another small thing, if you want them both in the same table the lower shelf works out to be the same height so no risers needed on the smaller one to get it to proper top shelf height.
    If portability is not a requirement I think M is your best choice.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited March 2016
    Options

I was in your situation (started with an XL). I now have a mini, mini-max, and small  because I'm apparently indecisive. I use the small more than any of the others (family of four), because I do not have a table for the mini-max to sit on. I would recommend the mini-max  or small, with a slight edge to the mini-max for portability and temp control.

The mini mainly goes unused now...

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
     If you like the Smokeware cap, they also fit the medium. 
    The Smokeware cap fits on the MiniMax as well, just needs a small gasket from Smokeware. @NPHuskerFL has a photo :)
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I had a medium and loved it. I sold it and upgraded to a large so I had more grid space and the availability of more accessories. If I had an XL and was going to buy another one, it would definitely be a medium. The medium doesn't use as much lump and is easier to roll in and out of the garage in the nest. You will have a small learning curve as the smaller eggs react differently from the larger eggs as far as vent settings......
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    My first egg was XL and it was great, except i burned too much fuel when cooking for 2 or 3 people.  Next i got the large, and cgs multigrid system and that setup worked really well for smaller cooks.   Then, along came the minimax.  It opened up an entirely new world of possibilities. To augment an XL, i would probably go with the large.   IF you thought about taking it with you on camping, beachor tailgate ventures, the MM is the best way to go.  Be sure to get the woo and stone cgs setup for either.   The MM gets hotter faster than the L so it has been a pleasant surprise when making pizza.   
  • jktx
    jktx Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions!  Each size seems to have benefits so it seems the correct answer is one of each.  Like the idea of the portability of the MM but think would benefit more from the size of the medium.  Think medium it is for the next one.  Thanks all!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    My primary egg is a large and it's great for my family of 5. But I have an adopted small and love it. Not saying you should get a small, just that if you get a large you may want something smaller too!  I have no experience with the medium but it looks fantastic. Probably doesn't sell well only because most people's first egg is a large. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    One of each, including XXL, agreed.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    blind99 said:
    My primary egg is a large and it's great for my family of 5. But I have an adopted small and love it. Not saying you should get a small, just that if you get a large you may want something smaller too!  I have no experience with the medium but it looks fantastic. Probably doesn't sell well only because most people's first egg is a large. 
    Where is the Big Green Egg adoption agency?  Can you pick from any size?  Did you see a commercial with Sarah McLachlan singing in the background?   =)  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI