Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grinding Meat for Burgers??

Options
While I've typically used pre-packaged 80-20 with very good results on the CI, for some time now I've been intrigued by the idea of selecting my own cuts and grinding/forming my own patties.   

Anyone doing this on the regular?  Is it worth the extra effort or is it another Mt. Everest to climb?  What cuts and proportions are preferred?  Do you mix in seasoning or egg or any fillers/binders?  Any tips or things to avoid in the process?  (Cue the "careful putting your meat in the grinder" jokes . . .)

Seriously, would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.  
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Options
    I liked doing it, but I bought a relatively inexpensive grinder on Amazon, doesn't work the best. It made it more work, because I routinely had to clean my grinder, as it would keep getting clogged. My advice to you, get a quality grinder, with plenty of horsepower.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    I've ground chuck roast using the grinding attachment on my Kitchenaid. I like it, but I don't know if it's enough of a difference to make it worth it. I'll probably do it more often if I get Foodsaver so I can do 10+ lbs at a time and freeze it for later. Doing a small roast for a single meal is a little more work than it's worth.

LBGE in PHX

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I have been interested in this as well. Interested im more info from "grinders." 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    1) I grind almost all my own hamburger meat, but from venison/beef fat, so it isn't really what you are talking about.  I do grind a lot of meat though.

2) Grinding it yourself, you know what is the in the ground meat.  Some people don't trust grocery stores, don't trust accurate fat/meat ratios, or are worried about more beef recalls.

2)Save money buying the meat whole and grinding it VS buying it pre-ground. In my opinion, you do not save enough to matter, especially after the effort and buying a grinder.  I would possibly do this if you ground a lot at once and did it a few times a year.

3) Cuts - you will get a lot of opinions on this, but chuck, sirloin, and brisket are the most common I see.  People play with different combinations and fat contents to get a blend they like.

I havent ground more expensive cuts of meat, but a guy a work with does.  For special opccasions, he gets Prime Rib Eyes and Filets.  He will sear the outside of both, then grind them together to make his patties.  Put them back on the grill and cook to a medium rare.  He has been doing it for years and swears it is the best hamburger you will ever eat.  Seems like a waste of good steaks to me, but this guy spends a lot of money on quality food/dining and has always been dead on with food recommendations.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I have the simple KitchenAid attachment for my mixer.  It's worked fine for my needs.  I've also ground chicken breast to make buffalo chicken burgers.  
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    The main advantage is that, unlike ground beef, you don't need to cook it to 165.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if you have a kitchen aide, buy the attachment, then go to ebay and buy the bigger plates. now you have lots of options, chili grind, coarse sausages etc.  i dont mix and match, but ive bought whole chuck rolls, cut the center out for potroast or pulled beef, and ground the rest
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing   Grinding chuck  or sirloin at home won't really get you much different from buying it from the market.  Grinding at home gets it best results if you blend different cuts that are not available in the market.

Try a blend of 2 parts neck, 1 part each of chuck, sirloin, and short rib with a bit of filet (1/2 part).  Add enough fat/suet to make up 20-25%.  (neck meat adds good flavor but is a pain to get enough off the bones)  

Also, egg/fillers = meatloaf.  Good, but not a hamburger.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Kitchenaid attachment. Chuck, boneless beef ribs and ribeyes 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    henapple said:

No bacon?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... Try a blend of 2 parts neck, 1 part each of chuck, sirloin, and short rib with a bit of filet (1/2 part)...
    I've never ground my own beef, but I often think about it, partly because I think I'd be willing to cook burgers medium rare again if I ground my own meat.  I've heard many people recommend brisket and short ribs, but I'm curious about the filet/tenderloin.  I love how soft filet of beef is, but I've always thought it had less beefy flavor than any other cut of meat.  Why add filet/tenderloin to the burger mix?  It's super expensive and I would have thought it would add nothing good.  You've been doing it, I haven't, so I'm not arguing with you, just curious.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ... Try a blend of 2 parts neck, 1 part each of chuck, sirloin, and short rib with a bit of filet (1/2 part)...
    I've never ground my own beef, but I often think about it, partly because I think I'd be willing to cook burgers medium rare again if I ground my own meat.  I've heard many people recommend brisket and short ribs, but I'm curious about the filet/tenderloin.  I love how soft filet of beef is, but I've always thought it had less beefy flavor than any other cut of meat.  Why add filet/tenderloin to the burger mix?  It's super expensive and I would have thought it would add nothing good.  You've been doing it, I haven't, so I'm not arguing with you, just curious.
    its a good way to use up the skinney tail section
    fukahwee maine

• jtcBoynton
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Texture - adds a bit of smoothness and acts a binder to help hold things together.  Other cuts bring the flavor. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I buy chuck roasts when on sale to grind.  My local place throws ribeye fat rolled in plastic in the counter for free, so add more.  

Best burger I've grind was when I got some t-bones/porterhouses on sale cheap and grind them.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Texture - adds a bit of smoothness.  Other cuts bring the flavor. 
    this brings up yet another burger question =) one could play with the texture grinding some coarse and some fine and mixing it
    fukahwee maine

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I did these not long ago and they did NOT suck.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1187507/i-cooked-stuff-it-was-good/p1

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Fresh ground brisket burgers...Yummmm
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Nice way to use up the thin end of a packer.
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    I've done this but used the food processor. Had ground beef in seconds. Just pulsed it till I had the consistency I wanted. Med rare burgers like in the "old days"!  :)  
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    If the meat has a fair amount of fat it is a good idea to put the meat in the freezer for an hour or so, it will make it easier to go through the grinder.

Gerhard
  • Theophan
    Options
    Texture - adds a bit of smoothness and acts a binder to help hold things together.  Other cuts bring the flavor. 
    Very interesting -- thanks!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @theophan I steaked out a couple of tenderloins for my sons birthday. All the scraps and a chuck made for 60/40 chuck to tenderloin. Great burgers and meatloaf/meatballs. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    henapple said:

+1 nice!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    i began grinding pork shoulder for sausage about three years ago.   Awesome.  Then i discovered mixing ground chuck with short rib meat plus a few brisket fat trimmings that i tossed in freezer and forgot about made incredible hamburger.   I had kitchen aid attachment but went ahead and got a LEM big bite #12.   For this years super bowl i made incredible burgers.   Grind equal parts chuck and short rib meat and add another 10% worth of brisket fat to the mix. Be sure fat is frozen when you grind it.     Grind on fine plate and pack coarsley.  Do NOT press meat together tightly lest you wind up with dense rubbery pucks

As you are loosley mixing meat sprinkle some salt.  I dont have a ratio here but use common sense.    No other spicing is needed.   Then, make patties stacking  them between layers of parchment or wax paper and freeze them. Put frozen patties on hot grill for crust formation and flip to other side.  Ive had problems with cast iron grill as it held onto the meat too much. Reg stainless grill with thinner grate bars works well. Or use cast iron griddle.  

When you start making meatballs from your home ground beef and pork and make home made brats, italian, and polish sausage, you will love it that you decided to venture into meat grinding.   It is VERY therapeutic.   
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Very interesting -- thanks!
    When you start blending 4-5 different cuts together, the differences can be pretty subtle.  Adding the cuttings off a tenderloin is a good use.  I don't regularly sacrifice a nice filet to add it to hamburger - I would rather have a nice steak.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Thanks, all!

This is tremendously helpful info and I'm going to give it a try after my next brisket, since now I know I need to save the fat and trimmings.  

And here's to yet another example of what I most love about this forum. (Aside from the way far out OT stuff that comes in late at night or from beyond Pluto, which isn't a planet by the way   B) ).
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I seem to have nothing but bad luck with my kitchen aid grinder.  I'm eyeing the grinder from Northern Tool.  As soon as it goes on sale again I'll jump on it.  It has great reviews.

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Theophan
    Options
    When you start blending 4-5 different cuts together, the differences can be pretty subtle.  Adding the cuttings off a tenderloin is a good use.  I don't regularly sacrifice a nice filet to add it to hamburger - I would rather have a nice steak.  
    I love the tenderness of filet, but it's probably my least favorite steak, flavor-wise.  I just about never want one for myself.  My wife isn't a huge steak fan in general, but her favorite is a well-done <sigh> filet.

I read somewhere that the Nicaraguan version of Churrasco often uses filet sliced horizontally into long, flat quarters and then pounded to 1/4" thickness, marinated in chimichurri and grilled very hot and fast.  It sounds really interesting to me, for some reason, and I think I'm going to try this this Summer, so there's one way I might like filet.  :)
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    85 percent chuck, 15 percent sirloin. I think that's Alton Brown's recipe, iirc. 85% fat is the goal, no matter what you grind. I seem to remember that Ramsey puts rib meat in his $15 burgers in Vegas... if you ever try one of those, be prepared for a mouthful that you are reluctant to swallow it tastes so good.

I like to put a dimple in the top with my thumb. Burgers expand like a football as they cook and people tend to smash them down - you lose all the fat and juices that way.

Putting a thumb sized dimple in the top gets the burger to a uniform shape as it expands under heat.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.