Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct/Indirect - Just kinda wondering?

Options
I have read many statements about not being able to cook dual zone (direct/indirect) in the Egg. Most notably by "Meathead" at Amazing Ribs. I understand about the ceramic grills heat retention properties but it seems to me that with a half moon deflector or maybe heaven forbid putting one of Webers' charcoal holders on one side of the Egg I should be able to cook in that fashion as well as any other grill. Has anyone done this successfully or are the naysayers correct?
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have read many statements about not being able to cook dual zone  Has anyone done this successfully or are the naysayers correct?
    Certainly it can be done. History has shown time and time again that the naysayers are usually wrong. There is a old wise saying that goes "Where there is a will, there is a way". This saying is as true as it gets. The firebox can be divided many different ways as several of us has already demonstrated with bricks, sheet metal, sheet pans and countless other contraptions. You said it yourself above, a half moon stone accomplishes this very feat without dividing the firebox. One can try to argue is it a true dual zone until they are blue in the face, but the fact remains that it certainly is. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if its in a pan its indirect. potatoes and loin are direct =)

100_0808jpg
    that glass fake pyrex pan exploded one day shootin pieces 12 feet across the room. =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    On the extremely rare occasions that I need direct and indirect at the same time, I just put one (or both) of my mini pizza stones on my lower grid and the food to be cooked indirect goes above it. Half moon would work too, but I don't have one. Sometimes I just put a stone on the upper grid and place a CI skillet on it (with air spacers if needed).

Three 1/4" carriage bolts, nuts and fender washers bolted to a Weber 18" kettle grid (I pretty much cook everything on this)...

Those pizza stones, BTW, have gone from ambient to 900° (no preheat) with no problem. Use 'em with a mini woo for indirects on the mini and Smokey Joe too. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd have to agree with Meathead.

Could a two-zone be half-asssed on the egg?  Yes

The fire is below the zones.  Heat rises.  Ceramic retains heat.  Not a lot of space to work with in the eggs to begin with, aside from the XL.....the only size to truly pull it off IMO. 

Two-zone to me, is two-zones.  One zone, completely being off heat.  The $30 CL OTG comes in handy for this.  

Some also claim the egg as a great WFO.  When in reality, its not even close to being a WFO.  Reason due to design, location of fire/heat, draft, fuel sorce.   

Joetisserie cooking is a stretch too.  The fire is directly below the spit.  WIth spit cooking, you want two zones.   

The egg is a jack-of-all trades, master of none, grill. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    Options
    Focker said:

The fire is below the zones.  Heat rises.  Ceramic retains heat.  Not a lot of space to work with in the eggs to begin with, aside from the XL.....the only size to truly pull it off IMO. 

Two-zone to me, is two-zones.  One zone, completely being off heat.  The $30 CL OTG comes in handy for this.  

Some also claim the egg as a great WFO.  When in reality, its not even close to being a WFO.  Reason due to design, location of fire/heat, draft, fuel sorce.   

Joetisserie cooking is a stretch too.  The fire is directly below the spit.  WIth spit cooking, you want two zones.   

in the most part its not close to a wfo, but it gets closer above 1000 degrees when the dome gets alot hotter than the stone, its probably more akin to a wood fired broiler with the fire hovering over the stone
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Focker said:

in the most part its not close to a wfo, but it gets closer above 1000 degrees when the dome gets alot hotter than the stone, its probably more akin to a wood fired broiler with the fire hovering over the stone
    Even a broiler is a stretch.  The fire at these temps blows around the stone and out the top.  That's why you see the nuk'd egg pics with flames shooting out.

A WFO fire arcs back to the deck.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Even a broiler is a stretch.  The fire at these temps blows around the stone and out the top.  That's why you see the nuk'd egg pics with flames shooting out.

A WFO fire arcs back to the deck.  
    i can get a blue ball of fire hovering over the stone, its not just the sides and out, you can literally see it just inches over the stone. maybe it only happens with my wok shaped barrier filled with sand, i dont use platesetters
    fukahwee maine

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Would you consider this a hybrid?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    In the XL I have the room to do direct and indirect cooking without a problem. The ceramic grill store has several different products to reduce the lump load 
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The problem I found with a half moon stone deflector over the standard egg firebox is that the fire follows the air path out from under the stone. It works but is not ideal. Like many here, I own a number of grills and I agree with Amazing Ribs, the Primo Oval is a true, easy to control kamado two zone cooker. There is no fire under the indirect side at all.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Direct & indirect cooking on a BGE is NOT left & right! It is up & down with heat control at each step.

Bake your steaks up high in the dome, lid closed, no plate setter, until it reaches 120°. Remove the steak, invert the grate, Grill Dome direct/indirect grate, so it's 2" above your lump. Use the BBQ Dragon to get your lump to Warp 10 heat, less than 2 minutes, and sear your steaks. 

Meathead is wrong about the reverse sear on a BGE.