Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pappa Murphy's Take n Bake Pizza

Options
I was thinking about cooking some Pappa Murphy's Take n Bake Pizzas at a Eggfest.
We don't have one very close to my area but they would be easy to grab on the way to the Fest.
Some Questions to those who have cooked the brand.

If purchased Friday afternoon and kept in a good cooler, is 24 hours to long? Do they need to cooked within hours to hold quality?

Are they any better than some of the premium rising crust frozen pizzas?

I have done the fresh pizza dough, make from scratch thing at Eggfests. Honestly, I don't want the work this time. I would rather enjoy the fest and just cook some easy foods.

Thanks for any input.
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Darian, we like PM over any other "store bought freshly made" pizzas so please understand I'm a fan! They recommend that it can stay raw for up to 24 hrs when refrigerated. Try their thin crust Cowboy...it rocks! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    I have one across the street from my neighborhood. Not better than what you can make at home, but I think it's absolutely better than the stuff you can buy at the grocery store. Never done one on the egg, but we like them for a quick weeknight meal. I've kept them in the fridge for 24hrs, but never a cooler. I asked the people there before I did that, they said they don't recommend it, but it can be done. I wouldn't worry about it... go for it. They came out just fine when I did it.

Try the chicken bacon artichoke or the roasted garlic and steak.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    We have bought a couple at a time and held them for 2 days with no ill effects.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    """""I would rather enjoy the fest and just cook some easy foods.""""" Ok who are you and what have you done with Darian????
    My friend two things come to mind:
    1. Can you freeze PM's dough?
    2. We really like using the large
    tortilla. Started with grandkids and found we like the thin and crispy. They make excellent thin pizza (IMO). 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I bought two PM large pizzas a couple months back, kept one in fridge for about a day, and froze the other for a week They both tasted about the same, as much as I could remember the first anyway. Thinking back, I thought they tasted comparable to a fresh cooked the day I bought it.

I prefer PM, but honestly haven't put much effort into making a good homemade one. Have just tried Pillsbury dough, not impressed. I'm intending to start learning how do make bread and use a sourdough starter. Will make pizza dough with it. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I imagine they should be okay as long as the dough doesn't get wet from the ice melt in the cooler. 

Now lets debate ad nauseum what a "good"  cooler is :smiley: 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Your good. I like pm pizza on the egg

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    Darian, we like PM over any other "store bought freshly made" pizzas so please understand I'm a fan! They recommend that it can stay raw for up to 24 hrs when refrigerated. Try their thin crust Cowboy...it rocks! 
    Ron,
    Not to jump topics here but I used a 3/8" baking steel to cook a pizza in the oven last weekend. It was one of the rising dough frozen pizzas.
    Directions called for 375 degrees directly on the wire rack, no pizza pan.
    I used the baking steel at oven temp of 385 degrees. Came out better than cooking directly on over rack. Bottom crust was crisp, toppings were cooked perfect and it was moist inside. Seemed like it had a better "rise". For a $5 frozen pizza it was very good. Will go even a little hotter next time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:
    Ron,
    Not to jump topics here but I used a 3/8" baking steel to cook a pizza in the oven last weekend. It was one of the rising dough frozen pizzas.
    Directions called for 375 degrees directly on the wire rack, no pizza pan.
    I used the baking steel at oven temp of 385 degrees. Came out better than cooking directly on over rack. Bottom crust was crisp, toppings were cooked perfect and it was moist inside. Seemed like it had a better "rise". For a $5 frozen pizza it was very good. Will go even a little hotter next time.
    I meant to do the same last week and forgot to. Thanks for the heads up.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.