Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Benefits of having more than one egg?

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,011
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
I read people's egghead fourm signatures, many have more than one BGE and importantly of different sizes. So far my household of two (and three cats) has been fine with a single LBGE, but is there something in having more than one egg, especially a different sized one?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Two temps.
    A smaller one for faster and smaller cooks
    Cold smoke
    Portable 
    More space

Lots of reasons.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    ^^^^^^^^^ All the above.
    And burn less lump.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    What they said. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I light mini for most weeknight cooks for 2. Use the large for pizza, large cuts and long smokes
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Stormbringer
    Thanks, folks. The cold smoking is of interest, what does the minimax do to allow cold smoking that the LBGE does not?
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Some use an Egg for baking only. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Looks really cool 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Purely need based.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks, folks. The cold smoking is of interest, what does the minimax do to allow cold smoking that the LBGE does not?
    For cold smoking many people use one egg for the smoke and run a dryer tube into the other egg.  However, two eggs is not necessary for this you could just use any type of vessel.  A cheapo brinkman smoker would work fine or anything that will hold the smoke in.

Check out @nolaegghead 's setup:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145832/cold-smoked-salmon-pic-heavy 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Some use an Egg for baking only. 
    I'm in that camp as my medium is my baking only egg. Never had any meat of any kind or size in it in the 15 years since I bought it. It's  still just a light honey color inside and still sporting the original old style flannel gasket. Helluva nice baking oven it is! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    XL and MM. MM used more for camping and tailgating. Also use it when it is just My Beautiful Wife and I specifically when the children are not home. I wil use it for sides and appetizers while the XL is cooking main protein. 
    We seldom use the oven in the kitchen anymore, and when we do, it is to boil using the burners on top.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    What all the others said! Oh and he who has the most toys!!!!!!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    Just ask your significant other why they want or need a double oven...
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2016
    I got my second large because when we had extended family over for steaks I was having to grill in stages. 

Adding that second large was a good move for me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2016

Good call there Double.....I purchased (a while back) a Bertozoni Italian gas range (which I love), however the wife is always complaining about the small oven cavity. Brilliant....just brilliant I tell ya.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I think if you're not sure what the benefit of a second Egg might be, you don't need one.  Save yourself a lot of money and keep enjoying your Large!

My wife bought me a Medium, years ago, and I LOVED it, but there were times when it was just too small for what I wanted to do, and a year or so later she bought me a Large.  I really love having both, because for just her and me, most of the time the Medium is just what I want.  But for cooking a rack or two of ribs, the Medium really isn't well suited.  Or if we have a bunch of people over sometimes I'll actually cook with both at once.  I bought a whole ribeye ("Prime Rib") roast that was too big for my Large, and I cut it into unequal halves and cooked one in the Large and the other in the Medium.  So I love having two, but if she'd gotten me the Large first, I don't know for sure whether I'd have thought it was worth it buying a second smaller one.  If you're happy with your Large, be happy with your Large!  :)
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867

Good call there Double.....I purchased (a while back) a Bertozoni Italian gas range (which I love), however the wife is always complaining about the small oven cavity. Brilliant....just brilliant I tell ya.
    My wife asked me one time "I need a woman cave, you know like a man cave.  What is the equivalent to that?"  I said "dear, it is the kitchen".  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367

I use the oven more than my wife so that one won't work for me.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    What they said

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984

My wife asked me one time "I need a woman cave, you know like a man cave.  What is the equivalent to that?"  I said "dear, it is the kitchen".  
    My wife asked for a watch. I told her she didn't need one, because there is a clock on the stove.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Simple.  BALLER STATUS!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    The turkey and the ham are ready at the same time just before dinner. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458

You off the couch yet?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    lump savings with a mini is probably 5 to 1 to the large. its my main cooker for 1 to 2 people
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stormbringer
    edited March 2016
    lump savings with a mini is probably 5 to 1 to the large. its my main cooker for 1 to 2 people
    Crikey, that much? If that is the case then just on lump consumption (or reduction thereof) at our present rate it would pay for itself in 3.5 years, and now myself and my wife have discovered this forum that rate will increase I am sure.

To quote Donny Douglas from Frasier, "I think I now have what is known in the legal profression as a bargaining chip." :smiley:

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506

I  have a medium and a mini max. There is just two of us, so if I only cook a few chicken breasts or burgers the MM is fine. If we have company it is the Medium, and depending on the crowd I use both.

If we have company w/kids the Medium is for ribs, etc and the MMX is for hot dogs and hamburgers. Love it.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    No need for a second egg to cold smoke... http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm
    Just place it in the bottom of the Egg. Not to mention the exhaust from an Egg is going to be a bit on the warm side for smoking cheese....and butter.  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Crikey, that much? If that is the case then just on lump consumption (or reduction thereof) at our present rate it would pay for itself in 3.5 years, and now myself and my wife have discovered this forum that rate will increase I am sure.

To quote Donny Douglas from Frasier, "I think I now have what is known in the legal profression as a bargaining chip." :smiley:
    @stormbringer I haven't returned my borrowed small BGE.  it's so efficient I think it is actually producing charcoal!  seriously though it uses maybe half a chimney of lump for a dinnertime cook of some burgers or chicken.  kind of sad but a minimax would actually pay for itself in lump savings over a few years at the rate we grill.  If I had a BGE in every size I would probably use all of them.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    You can make yourself fatter than you are now!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95