Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

where do you set your plate setter when you take it out and it's hot??

Options
So when I do reverse sears or anything, I am afraid to take my plate setter out and put it on my challenger cart as it's very hot.

What do you guys set hot grates / plate setters on?  I need to find some sort of 2x2 stone that I can sit it on that will be able to withstand the heat of the PS sitting on it.

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    My Egg sits on a concrete slab surrounded by gravel.  I put my hot plate setter on that gravel with remarkable speed, considering my advanced age.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Options
    On any shelf of my table along with the stone if need be. PSA it's not wood :tongue: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    On the ground fast or I put two bricks on my Challenger cart and put it on that.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    In my gasser
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Grate Racks
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I don't...have never had the need to move a hot plate setter yet...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I keep two firebrick permanently on the deck rail across from my eggs. So whether legs up or legs down the hot PS is safe there.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Either the rack on the nest or on the concrete leaning against stone retaining wall
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have one of the old Mini nests that I keep nearby on my stone patio. I mostly use it for the grid. It would hold a platesetter if needed, but I almost never remove a hot PS. For that matter, I don't even USE a PS all that often.

A brick or two? A cinder block? Gasser? Weber kettle? Just make sure the spot is picked out and that you are quick about it.

Hopefully you're not grilling on a flammable surface, i.e. one that might char when you place something hot nearby. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    On fire bricks either on the ground or on my table. 
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    I have a large tile in my table, but set hot items on these cheap trivets I got at Ikea.

Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Um, I set it on the heat pump condensing unit. Just kidding. A metal stand.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I just leave it in my Woo!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    On my lump reducing ring
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Fire bricks for me, they come in handy for lots of things. Raised grid, trivet, heaters for FTCing, etc...
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I use a couple of pieces of granite tile from Home Depot. I think I paid $5-6 each. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    You can drop a hot setter on a tile or bricks or whatever will not burn, if on a tile, I suggest an air space under the tile. Gasser is the usual catcher of a hot setter at my place, but since having the black Oval, I seldom have to move a setter.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have no interest in an egg table, but I do need a side table next to the egg. I saw this one a while ago and one of these days, I'd love to build something with a top like this. Obviously, I could cut the rock openings as large as I need for as many hot things as I think I might have, a DO for instance. I just thought it was a cool table top, hot things or not.

Made, BTW, by an older (70something) New Zealand woman named Dhaj - after she finished building her own house by herself! This is her dining room table. No table cloth allowed. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have one of these as a side table:
    http://www.campchef.com/camp-table-with-legs-38.html
    Works great as a landing spot for hot items. I also have Grate Racks on my XL nest, which work well also.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I cook steaks on my homemade raised grid and put my large CI skillet under it on the main grid as a defector.  When the steak gets to 110 to 115 I pull everything off, get the egg to 500 to 600 and sear each side about a minute.  Let rest and enjoy.  I found this is easier then messing with the PS.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Since getting that wire thingie that allows you to remove/reinstall the PS, and hang it from your side tables, that's all I use; love it!  
    Before that, the cement pad on the side of my patio.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RRP
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have a good friend who has carried his "PS Cooler" as he calls it to the past 13 years at the Peoria Eggfest. It is nothing more than 4 pieces each about say 10" or so of scrap 2x4 that he nailed into a square. It has many blackened scorch scars - but so what? It was scrap and it works! 
  • Sammi
    Options
    Had a buddy throw his PS in the snow after a cook. Went from 400 to -30f, I thought it was toast but it survived. I'd never do that with mine but they can take some serious thermal shock!
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • RRP
    Options
    Sammi said:
    Had a buddy throw his PS in the snow after a cook. Went from 400 to -30f, I thought it was toast but it survived. I'd never do that with mine but they can take some serious thermal shock!
    At our Eggfests I have seen inexperienced eggers sit their hot PS down on the asphalt only to discover they were then melted in when they started to leave. Never asked how they finally got them cleaned afterward.
  • Sammi
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sammi said:
    At our Eggfests I have seen inexperienced eggers sit their hot PS down on the asphalt only to discover they were then melted in when they started to leave. Never asked how they finally got them cleaned afterward.
    So what did you spice that with..... tarmack and....
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • RRP
    Options
    Sammi said:
    RRP said:
    Sammi said:
    So what did you spice that with..... tarmack and....
    "you"? Wasn't ever me as I protect my PS. Across the asphalt is a grassy berm and those older dudes of us put on our gloves and carry our PS to the grass. Newbies even to that solution place their PS flat side down and leave large burnt/brown spots. Us older eggers place them legs down. Less clean up that way and quicker cool down.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I use an oven rack
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    @RRP I think that was a hypothetical question to someone who set their platesetter down in the blacktop as you described Ron, and then later cooked on it.  It was funny, not targeted at you.

older dudes.  ha.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    PSA - What ever you do, do not place a hot plate setter on your BGE or Challenger cart.  The manufacturer wouldn't give me a definitive temperature, but left me with the distinct impression that they would start getting nervous around 200 degrees F.

I use the side table on my gasser for a hot plate setter ... but then again, when hot, it's always in a PSWoo2.  The Woo gives it a small air gap.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max