Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Quick Thermometer Story

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Saturday night, we had Christmas Dinner at my parent’s house. My father was cooking a whole Beef Tenderloin in the oven. Normally it would come out good, however, he just stuck a meat thermometer in and waited for it to hit 145. It just did not seem to be cooking right. I asked him if he had ever checked the Calibration, he said no. [p]On some Father’s Day, I had given him a Polder so I went to look for it. I found it in the box and never used. The only problem was that we did not have a AAA battery. I boxed it up and put it back. On Monday, we will be back there for Prime Rib I will show him how to use it then. [p]Happy Holidays,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• RhumAndJerk,
    Speaking of beef tenderloin we are doing one on Humpty at X-Mas. Any suggestions. Recipe,time, temp..etc.[p]Thanks
    Big Cat

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Big Cat,
    Sorry, but I will have to defer to the Forum for Proper Cooking of Whole Beef Tenderloins. I would go with simplicity due to the cut of meat. Regardless, you will be in for treat.[p]RhumAndJerk

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Big Cat, [p]I have had this the past 2 years at eggtoberfest,it's great.[p]Larry

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Big Cat, [p]I have had this the past 2 years at eggtoberfest,it's great.[p]Larry

[ul][li]SloMo's Beef Tenderloin[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Big Cat,[p]Check the link below to a page where I did tenderloins a couple different ways. This is something I do often and I have my favorite ways to do it. YB gave you a link to Slo-Mo's recipe and its good, had some at Eggtoberfest99. I think cooking it at 225-250 would be easier than tring for 200-225. The other way is to sear it and cook until the internal temp is what you want. Once it's seared well enough, then cut the temps back or close it up and let it dwell for 15-20 min and then slowly open the daisy and the bottom vent a crack and you should be able to hold the temp around 400 deg until done to your taste.[p]Don't use a polder cable in the Egg over 325 deg. [p]You can also cut the tenderloin up into 2" filet mignons! No better steak in the world!![p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M's beef tenderloins[/ul]
  • Coat the meat with 2 Tbs butter, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp mustard powder mixed into 2 Tbs minced chutney. (The chutney tends to burn/char, so I've been eliminating it - your choice.)
    Cook the tender indirect at 400 deg. Wrap the polder probe cable with aluminum foil from the probe-cable interface to where it exits the egg (I've used polders up to 500 deg and have yet to ruin a probe/cable). Remove the tender when the Polder reads 120-125 (about 40 min) for med-rare. Saute 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms in the meat drippings, 2 Tbs butter, and 1/2 cup canned condensed undiluted beef consomme. Add 3 Tbs Madeira and simmer 1/2 min, and add some thickening if you like the mushroom sauce a little thicker. The Madeira mushroom sauce is what makes this meal (IMO). Serve with twice-baked potatoes, veg of choice, and a good red wine. I double/triple-up on the mushrooms and sauce ingredients. This is our favorite special-occasion meal.

• Big Cat,
    Haven't cooked a whole tendeloin on the Egg yet - will be doing so Friday. Have cooked many on gas grills. I hate to suggest cooking time for the Egg since I haven't tried it. But if you want the best tenderloin you ever ate in your life, try this recipe. I get rave reviews year after year:[p]1 cup soy sauce
    6 tablespoons sugar
    3 cloves finely minced garlic
    2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, peeled and finely minced
    3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice[p]Combine ingredients and mix well (make sure the sugar dissolves - let it stand for a few minutes and check to see if sugar has settled to the bottom without dissolving). Marinate meat in marinade for 20 hours, turning several times. Cook to desired temp.[p]I was really sceptical about any marinade with sugar, but you will not be disappointed.