Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Guy, New Egg, 1st use Spatchcock Chicken. Incredible moist

Options
Finally bought a large BGE from Pete at Jim Prescot BBQ Shop, Sterling Illinois.  Great help and service with tons of products and accessories.  
I did approx 6 lb chicken spatchcocked with Dizzy Pig Fajitaish, sprinkle of corn starch and refrigerated uncovered all night.  I waited for the temps to stabilize at approx 350.  Went indirect  and raised up about four inches from main grid. Slid a tray of potatoes, onions, carrots and celery below the chicken.  Pulled it once the thighs were about 185 and the breasts were about 165. Took just under two hours. The meat, especially the white meat was incredibly Moist!!  My wife raved about it.  She normally doesn't eat white because it's to dry and sticks with dark meat.   She loved it all.  The vegetables probably could have been cut smaller as they were a bit undercooked.  Not bad but but not guest worthy.  

I was a little intimidated using the BGE for the first time.  I found it fairly simple for this short cook.  May not be the same for longer or all night cooks.  I welcome any suggestions and or comments.   I have a packer brisket in the freezer patiently waiting. I also picked up a steel plate from Ron before I owned the BGE. Can't wait to do pizzas and smashed burgers.  I have been a  lurker for almost a year.  I enjoyed the wealth of knowledge and experience out there.   

here are a couple of pictures

Comments