Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg for camping and whatnot

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I'm looking at getting an Egg for camping and cooking stuff at a different temp at the same as my large Egg.
I'm thinking either a Minimax or a small. Any recommendations between the two? I was kinda wondering about the portability of the small. I do like that it has a stand up nest so I don't need a table to place it on.

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I just bought the Minimax for a camping weekend on Friday.  I really like it. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    The Mini Max is the same cooking grid as the small and a hell of a lot more transportable. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

We use a small for camping and eggfests.  Taking the innards out helps make it a one person job when transporting.  The small can do everything it's bigger siblings can do.  With a woo to get you into the sweet spot for fire to food distance, and a high que to get to high temps, it's perfect for travel.  I built a custom table to use it off my tailgate, or on top of picnic tables at the campground.  I drop it into the table, wooden shim the innards, and roll out.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sold my Small as too many problems (very small air vents). Love my Mni-Max. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Bought a MM a month ago....Went camping last week but the weather sucked so I didn't take my MM...  Waiting to do it, but I have used it a few times at the house.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Camping - MiniMax by far. Great for tailgating and is a great piece to add to any collection. I have an XL and have enjoyed using it, but, since getting the mini a year ago, it has become my favorite, ever. 
    Transportable, rides well, performs great. I recommend this size to anyone that is considering a tailgater or for traveling outdoor activities.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Powak
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How does the MM do with smoking? And is a woo recommended for the MM or does it do fine stock?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Woo never comes out of my max. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Small. The grid doesn't sit right over the firebox like the Mini Max. The small gives you some distance between the two. Not that much heavier than a mini max. I'm a small fan
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Powak
    Options
    The BGE website says the MM weighs 90lbs and the small weighs 80lbs, I'm assuming they're not including the nest weight on the small. Is the small easy to take in and out of the nest?
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I don't have one yet. But I'll go MM

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Got to believe its the MiniMax for a family of 4 or more.......think the mini for up to 3 but 2 may be more reasonable if the 3rd is not of the small child type. I say this not having taken my MM on a road trip as yet......but will soon.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Mini Max or Joe Jr.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Camping - MiniMax by far. Great for tailgating and is a great piece to add to any collection. I have an XL and have enjoyed using it, but, since getting the mini a year ago, it has become my favorite, ever. 
    Transportable, rides well, performs great. I recommend this size to anyone that is considering a tailgater or for traveling outdoor activities.
    I've got the small and it travels well but now that I have the mini the small prolly won't see the road again. I used it last summer to cook for 5 adults.  No problem if you plan the cook right.  I don't have a MM so I can't comment on that but the small is a workhorse too.  With the small and a woo you have more space between drip pan and grid if you do alot of indirect cooking.  Or at least that is what I see comparing the Woos.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    MiniMax has been such a great item to lug along to campsites, tailgates, beach parties amd even to a friend's house.    A small appears to be a relatively easy traveler but the MM i think has larger surface area for airflow for coals, therefore i think itll get hotter than a small easier when you want to make items like pizza or perform a reverse sear setup to augment your large.   Anyone know diameter of firebox grate in a small?   If i am wrong here ill own it but i recall seeing it in a small amd comparimg it to minimax firebox grate size and small was a lot smaller.  

MM costs serious money but the results at a campsite are spectacular
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    don't have a MM but we take our small and mini with us overtime we go rving. Love both of them
    Large, small, and a mini
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Did a 5# prime tenderloin last night on the Mini Max. Only thing not OE was a KAB. My Beautiful Wife, our children and their friends all agreed it was the best steak they had ever had.Temperature control was precise, low and slow to 125F IT, then pulled PS and reverse seared until Medium.  
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Someone on this forum put his MM, carrier and all, into a medium nest. I thought it was borderline genius move. Just another idea for you as you said you liked the nest idea with the small. I have no camping or tailgating experience, but thought I would confuse the matter a bit. Good luck. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have a small that lives in the Motor Home, had it long before the MM came along. Any air flow problems are easily solved with a Kick ash basket, or Hi Q fire grate, had the Hi Q first and got the Kick Ash Basket as soon as they were available great product. If you gave me a Mini Max I would not take it camping because I like the small in the nest for camping. The MM will need some kind of a table to put it on and at 90 lbs it needs to be a stout table, be able to take the heat from the bottom of the egg, the distance from the fire to grate is closer than a small, less lump too. If you plan on carrying the MM by yourself go pick one up! it's quite heavy for one person. Good luck you have a tough choice to make. Jim 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer