Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

***OT Lawn Mower OT***

Options
13»

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I haven't justied the premium for a zero turn. While it would be nice, not sure if the extra $500 and up is worth saving 5 minutes. If my yard was bigger I would thinking about it harder. 
    Think about overall build quality. $500-1000 divided by 10-15 years divided by how many times you mow per year is peanuts. 
    What makes the ZT a better build than one that isnt from a big box store?
    Overall build quality.  Decks are welded from 7 gauge steel, not stamped (John Deere's are stamped, but stamped 7 gauge).  The spindles are massive and have grease fittings.  Engines are commercial engines and will last at least (understatement) 2500-3500 hrs.  Hydraulics are more beefy and are of superior brand (Parker usually) where some of the box stores use different less desired ways for drive train.  Seats are nicer and ways for maintenance are way better too.  

Now there are some big names making "Estate" mowers that are for those that want quality but not as beefy as true commercial equipment.  I know Hustler, Toro, and Exmark have them, not sure of the rest. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited March 2016
    Options

cadet is made by mtd who makes all the rest of the junk pretty much. 

Interesting, I bought my MTD snow blower in 1991, so she's just finishing up her 25th year.  (granted, they may have actually been built in Minnesota back then.)

I actually have to replace the tires now; where the heck do you buy snowblower tires??

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Are you determined to buy a rider? I have a 1/2 acre as well and thought I wanted a rider. I bought a Forrest Gump snapper rider. Absolute crap. Then noticed all the landscaping guys had Honda pushers. Went and traded my crap snapper for a commercial Honda self propelled pusher. LOVE IT! My wife jokes that I might love it more than the egg. Just a thought in case your mind wasn't made up. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I'm going in the other direction.  I've had a Craftsman with 42" deck, 25 hp Briggs for the past 14 years and the only problems I've had were my fault, but it still runs and still mows with minimal maintenance.  I have about 1/2 acre of grass with a decent grade to it.  I'm seriously considering getting a 30" + walk behind because I'm sick of riding.
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    I'm in the commercial mowing business. Deere, Hustler, Toro, and Honda are my go to. As mentioned before all of these companies make good homeowner versions. If you get the Deere from a dealer you get a "free" hat with the deal! 
    Durham, NC
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    At one time, MTD didn't manufacture the Tank series.  Lesco, MTD Pro, and CTP formed a joint venture to make the commercial stuff.  Not sure about now though.  MTD does make the residential stuff for them and other brands too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have the cub 48. Lotsa trees on my property. Best I've had.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Think I've read most of the replies but I still want to chime in with my own version since I'm in Dunlap nearer to you over there in Morton. I have 3/4 acre which has a lot of trees and other obstacles. Been here after building it 36 years ago. A rider would be a joke for me. Even a SP would be more of a PITA than a pusher. In 36 years I have gone thru 2 Lawn Boys and still on my present Toro. Advantage? I walk and stay in shape. I have neighbors with even smaller yards who have kick @ss Deers who are fat and out of shape plus their yards looked like sh@t until they hire the south of the border crews to take over with their pushers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've not read this thread.  Please be sure there are no children or adults around mowers without recognizing the risk of projectiles harming them. I've seen death and blindness.  Hate to be the doom and gloom guy, but, until you've seen it.  Lawn mowers scare me.  One took out a car window of mine.  Thankfully nothing worse.  Give them proper respect.  Safety lesson done.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I've not read this thread.  Please be sure there are no children or adults around mowers without recognizing the risk of projectiles harming them. I've seen death and blindness.  Hate to be the doom and gloom guy, but, until you've seen it.  Lawn mowers scare me.  One took out a car window of mine.  Thankfully nothing worse.  Give them proper respect.  Safety lesson done.
    This guy. Enucleation after puncture injuries  and missing appendages were the highlight of summer in Trauma right after Donorcycles. Thank goodness for Dr Rodriguez.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i had dreams of a nice lawn once =)  16 years later the yard was 3 foot deep in poison ivy vine. this took it all down, even the maple saplings up to 3 inch diameter. have apple trees growing in the kitchen right now full of apples, the 0.1 acre lot is going to be a mini orchard with mulch now. i found i really hate yard work, its like being a kid getting punished all over again =)  i usually fire this up during heavey downpours and cuss for an hour pushing it thru the thick stuff =)

DR TrimmerMower

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Well now some of you have me leaning toward a self propelled.  Do they come with beer helmets?

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Oh No!!! I've been buffaloed.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I've used a JD 130 series to cut about four acres with many obstacles. It had a wide turning radius- more than the Craftsman I also used. Sure the JD had more of a tractor feel, but the Craftsman needed about the same maintenance and was easier to use. The engine bent a push rod one time. That cost $30.00 in parts including a head gasket.
    The Deere was bought used by the land owner. It threw deck belts which were complicated to re-thread. I leveled the deck and fixed the problem. The deck was coming apart last time I used it.,
    I personally own a Kubota 21hp diesel for my mountain land. It has lasted for about ten years of abuse by neighbors and serving for his lawn mowing business. Cutting tall grass takes its toll of PTO belts which Kubota gets about $75.00 for. Equivalent belts from major manufacturers run less than $20.00.
    For my little half acre, I prefer a push mower I can buy for a little over a hundred and throw away when it falls apart.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    Oh No!!! I've been buffaloed.
    You had a good run...
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited March 2016
    Options
    blasting said:

I admire these fancy motors as I smile.  Finally a thread that won't cost me $ (I have no grass)

I would say I did alright. Went 31 years with out having to buy a mower. 
    I could do that but then my neighbors would be pissed and I'd have fines from the city. 

I have a Cub Cadet and it's been pretty good so far. I give it hell sometimes mowing the better part of 10 acres wooded. Not all the time of course. Usually just 2 acres of it and then I have a brush hog that pulls behind the atv to mow the rest. Had the cub for a long time now. Change the oil regularly and gone through a few belts and new blades when they get too worn to sharpen. Changed all the deck spindles one time after one went bad. I'm kinda waiting for it to go out so I can talk myself into a zero turn. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.