Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Rib-eye Cap.......

Options
Just pulled the trigger on one of these. Been on my wish list and the current sale motivated me to get off the dime. Those who have been there before me, any tips on preparation / cook? 
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    @northGAcock  - good for you! Best part of the cow, tenderness of a filet mignon with the flavor of a ribeye.  

Biggest thing is to not overcook.  It's a fairly thin piece of meat, so reverse sear/etc. typically isn't the way to go go...hot and fast direct cook.  
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    The ribeye caps I've done (from Costco) were rolled up.  I cooked them like I would a normal piece of beef (reverse sear) and they've turned out to be fantastic.  Good luck with the SRF model.  I'll be eagerly awaiting your results.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these. Been on my wish list and the current sale motivated me to get off the dime. Those who have been there before me, any tips on preparation / cook? 
    OMG!!! I've been drooling over these since I first found SRF... I'm going to be watching closely and living vicariously through you!!  Did you get gold or black? Either will be over the top amazing ridiculous perfection.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    OMG!!! I've been drooling over these since I first found SRF... I'm going to be watching closely and living vicariously through you!!  Did you get gold or black? Either will be over the top amazing ridiculous perfection.
    I believe it was the latter if I recall correctly.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Looks like the RR rib eye cap on sale vs the SRF selection.  Regardless, gonna be some great eats for sure.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks like the cut on sale now is just listed as choice or higher.
    Even the sale price makes this one piece, 2 ounces shy of $69 a pound.
    Have you, in the past, just purchased a whole boneless primal from RD or Costco and pulled the Cap? Another $60-$70 dollars would buy the entire primal. Get the cap and whole center cut rib roast. Or get bone in and cut the roast into cowboy cut center steaks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Eagerly awaiting the invite brother! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    I have one of these in my freezer waiting to be cooked on the first nice Saturday we have in Virginia.  I can't wait to open a big bottle of red and fire this guy up!!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited February 2016
    Options
    They are awesome. Did one last year.  I kept it simple. S&P and hot and fast down low. Flip, flip, flip, flip until color was good and it came out rare to med rare.  It was a treat.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178598/cap-of-rib-eye#latest
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Well I got home late on Saturday from a west coast business trip....and found nothing in the house to eat for Easter dinner. I pulled the Rib-eye cap to thaw....but due to rain, never got an opportunity to cook. Tonight is the night and I am excited about it., Will post some pictures later this evening.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Staying tuned...

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Standing by... looking forward to your post.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am in. Been considering another order and would like to add a couple of those.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I'm still here!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    SRFShane said:
    @northGAcock  - good for you! Best part of the cow, tenderness of a filet mignon with the flavor of a ribeye.  

Biggest thing is to not overcook.  It's a fairly thin piece of meat, so reverse sear/etc. typically isn't the way to go go...hot and fast direct cook.  
    Going with Shane's recommended approach.....The SRF gods have been good to me with a nice two plus pound cap.....I am using a coffee rub tonight direct on the Mini Max.....(though I should check for size). 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yum.  Standing by
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Knife and Fork in hand... 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    Best of luck!  I can not wait to see the final product!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    The first thing that strikes you is the aroma when the cap first hits the grill. 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I feel much better about spending $17/lb at Costco for prime. I believe Costco rolls them into pinwheels is because it's not a whole cap. It's like it's off individual steaks. I trimmed off the silverskin  and treated it like a ribeye. Definitely one of my favorites.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I feel much better about spending $17/lb at Costco for prime. I believe Costco rolls them into pinwheels is because it's not a whole cap. It's like it's off individual steaks. I trimmed off the silverskin  and treated it like a ribeye. Definitely one of my favorites.
    Yes, they are pinwheels. I have found that I like to unroll and put small sections flat on a skewer. This allows me a good crust surface area. Much more crust area than cooking in the pinwheel. 
    The skewer makes for easy flipping.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Was real nice......had to go on a 4 mile walk though, to walk it off. 

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Oh, man! That looks great!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Looks great!
    It looks like the whole cap cooks much better than the Costco pinwheel style.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    So, is it worth the money??? I want to try one

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That looks amazing. Imagonnadoit.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    No regrets.......and well worth the purchase. Looking forward to leftovres on this one for sure. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    Robin that looks freaking amazing!!  Beautiful plate brother!  Give Maddie a big hello from us both ;)
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Bravo. Looks like you nailed it perfectly.  
    Pretty insane how much flavor and how rich that cut of meat is, isn't it?  It shocked me, that is for sure. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Bravo. Looks like you nailed it perfectly.  
    Pretty insane how much flavor and how rich that cut of meat is, isn't it?  It shocked me, that is for sure. 
    I have to agree. I definitely did not eat as much volume as I normally would. Rich is a good way to describe it.