Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Leg of Lamb

Options
Happy Easter! So many amazing cooks have been shared today. Here is my leg of lamb. Marinated overnight and cooked at 300 until 135. I intended to reverse sear but the internal temperature rose so fast that it would have caused overcooking. It was deliciously moist and well-seasoned. Wouldn't change a thing. Served with couscous patties and cucumber ribbon salad.

Rubbed overnight with duck fat, balsamic and assorted spices.

Carved.

Alongside cucumber-avocado salad and couscous patty
- Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
- Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015

Comments

• annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Awesome!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Perfection 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Looks great Ann. What is the stuffing?
  • annjamaican
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Looks great Ann. What is the stuffing?
    Thanks! The 'stuffing' is just the same rub as on the outside. It held up better because it was protected: Duck fat, fresh garlic, Rosemary and thyme, assorted dried spices, lemon rind and balsamic. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    WOW !!!! Fantastic.. That looks awesome, love the plated pic... No wait love the whole post...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Wow, that looks amazing!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful cook for sure!  Great post!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I missed having lamb this year - and this fantastic post doesn't help.   I love your sides - what did you dress the salad with?  How did you make the couscous patties?
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Gorgeous!  If it ate nearly as good as it looks, it must have been spectacular.  

(Wondering about those grates . . . haven't seen anything that clean since mine was new!   =) )
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    That looks awsome!  I can almost smell it!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • annjamaican
    Options
    Legume said:
    I missed having lamb this year - and this fantastic post doesn't help.   I love your sides - what did you dress the salad with?  How did you make the couscous patties?
    Thanks, everyone. @Legume, sorry you didn't get to have lamb for Easter. If it's any consolation, I never usually do. Being Jamaican, it was always fried tropical fish. Can't get those around here and everyone is blowing up Instagram with their gigantic fried snapper photos, truly annoying.

I made "amaretto sour" dressing with amaretto, lime, honey, oil, poppyseeds and a pinch of green chili powder. I prepared the couscous with seasoned chicken stock, mixed in mint, feta, egg for binding, currants. Shaped and fried in oil until heated throughout.

HendersonTRKing said: Gorgeous!  If it ate nearly as good as it looks, it must have been spectacular.  

(Wondering about those grates . . . haven't seen anything that clean since mine was new!   =) ) Mine have darkened significantly in a little less than 6 months. :i_dunno: I was thinking about getting the iron ones too but I think they'd probably be a pain to maintain and these are actually serving me well. 
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ann, ifin it's custom fer you to fry fish...you mentioned snapper.  Have you ever or can you ever get Amberjack?  That is my favorite fish!  I prefer cutting it into steaks and blacken the stew outta it on the egg!  I also like cutting it into fingers and frying it!  When I smoke it on the egg, I make the most awesome fish dip too!!!  I have all my family in VA and they say AJ is a trash fish so I'm not sure what they think of it in your area. 
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Nicely done!! That lamb looks so good I wanted to lick the screen.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • annjamaican
    Options
    Jai-Bo said:
    Ann, ifin it's custom fer you to fry fish...you mentioned snapper.  Have you ever or can you ever get Amberjack?  That is my favorite fish!  I prefer cutting it into steaks and blacken the stew outta it on the egg!  I also like cutting it into fingers and frying it!  When I smoke it on the egg, I make the most awesome fish dip too!!!  I have all my family in VA and they say AJ is a trash fish so I'm not sure what they think of it in your area.  

@Jai-Bo Jack and King were two of my faves in Jamaica. They're almost as meaty as turbot. I would pan fry, stew, curry and occasionally deep fry it. I googled and they said amberjacks existed on the pacific coast but I've never heard of anyone catching any and I've never seen it in the stores. They have a "snapper" here that's nothing like the Atlantic snapper fish so I doubt whatever they call jack on this coast is even jack. 
  • annjamaican
    Options
    @Jai-Bo, I acquired some steelhead today. Not tropical by any measure but high among my faves so I'm definitely not complaining. 
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    @Jai-Bo, I acquired some steelhead today. Not tropical by any measure but high among my faves so I'm definitely not complaining.

Not much that swims out there, that I don't eat!  Oysters are the only thing that I don't do!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • annjamaican
    Options
    Jai-Bo said:

Not much that swims out there, that I don't eat!  Oysters are the only thing that I don't do!
    I'm allergic to crustaceans but I eat oysters and other mollusks every chance I get. I used to be grossed out by the green stuff on the inside but I've gotten past that.