Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cut Washers behind rear hinge?

Options
I've read a few examples of how people are cutting a slice in 4-8 washers and adding these between the rear hinge and the bottom band in an effort to push the dome forward.

I'm going to try this after realigning my bands and having it flush on the sides but a 1/4-1/3" underbite in the front.

Any tips or suggestions with this method?  I have an XL so the rear hinge assembly is a little different.

Thanks,
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Do you need to do that? I thought the XL had slots on the bracket that allowed you to shift it forward/backward before tightening the nuts down. 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    Do you need to do that? I thought the XL had slots on the bracket that allowed you to shift it forward/backward before tightening the nuts down. 
    There are side brackets that allow about a 1/2" movement forward/backward, but it's already pushed forward to the max.  I wish those side brackets had a wider opening and this wouldn't be a problem... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    tgs2401 said:
    There are side brackets that allow about a 1/2" movement forward/backward, but it's already pushed forward to the max.  I wish those side brackets had a wider opening and this wouldn't be a problem... 
    I see. To answer your original question, I did cut some washers and use them on a LBGE and it was successful in moving the lid forward. I still have an underbite of about a 1/4" but it's sealed good and I've given up on trying to get it perfect. 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I used some washers I had laying around to do that on my large when I first assembled it. Made the alignment much better. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The key for me when adjusting the XL is to remove the spring and bracket (you  can loosen the spring bracket and take the spring off the upper band and allow the spring to hang from the lower band) on the upper band assembly and completely loosen the upper and lower band bolts. This allows the dome to rest freely on top of the base. (I personally remove the entire dome) .

Once you have done this, move/position the lower band about 1/8 - 3/16" of space between the rim of the base and the band.  and secure the lower band bolt to the base. Place the dome back on the base (the upper band shouldnt have been removed, just left open and resting on lower base). Make sure you push the dome forward and its even with the base. Place and secure the upper band on the dome with about 1/8 - 3/16" of space between the rim of the dome and the band. 

Before you open the dome all the way, open only a few inches and lower to make sure the dome doesnt slip back into the underbite. If it is secure, open the dome and rest in open position. You can now replace the spring assist bracket and hopefully your underbite has been resolved. 

I hope i captured everything for you. If not, ask questions. This method works for me and my egg and I didnt have to go and buy anything. The key is removing the pressure points from the band so you can re-adjust. If need be I can take a picture of my band placement when I get home from work this evening. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD